Author Topic: CG-1500 non standard holes  (Read 1810 times)

Offline daKEEBLERelf

• Kudos: 0
CG-1500 non standard holes
« on: August 16, 2017, 06:43:21 PM »

Hi all,

This is my first year building something like this and, of course, I've been overwhelming myself with all of the information out there. I'm trying to start simple-ish, 1 Mega tree. I've gotten my components and have started the build process. One thing that I am hung up on is mounting the hardware in a CG-1500 case. I'm planning to put my Pi, f16v3 (i know, overkill), and power supply in the case. I've worked out how it can all fit, but the wiring is where I'm hung up. Obviously the standard cable holes in the case can't be used as the boards get in the way. I came across a post once where the person stated they used the CG-1500 but always drilled their own holes to route the cables through. For the life of me I can't find the post again.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to accomplish this? I assume that there is more to it than just drilling the holes. What do you use to keep the case water-proof?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Dennis Laff

• Kudos: 2
  • Retired Machinist
Re: CG-1500 non standard holes
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 11:30:19 PM »
Look online for Cord Grips    there plastic or nylon buy the size you need for your cable

Offline jhoybs

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 12:53:29 PM »
Actually, others may not agree with me, but I don't seal the bottoms of my CG1500 enclosures.  I did use a bunch of RJ45 panel mount bushings (which are waterproof), but I ran my 18 gauge cables right through the provided holes.  As long as the (unsealed) bottom is pointing down and water/snow won't rise up to the bottom, I think you're good.  That being said, you don't want to have large holes that water can splash into, but it doesn't need to be air-sealed.
Jim H - Muskego, WI
Falcon F16v3, PiCap, FPPs. Lynx Expresses, xLights

Offline Ebuechner

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 01:02:29 PM »
I don't seal the bottom of my box either. Unless you're putting it directly on the ground it's not necessary, in fact it might be beneficial to leaving an opening on the bottom in case the door seal doesn't work perfectly allowing a place for the moisture to get out. If your boxes mounted on a pole the foot or two above the ground you'll be fine so long as gravity doesn't reverse, but then you'll have bigger problems if that happens ( like keeping change in your pocket).

Offline daKEEBLERelf

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 02:05:43 PM »
Well, alright then! Thanks for the replies!

Offline Dennis Laff

• Retired Machinist
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 05:35:15 PM »
However one of the benefits of using some type of cord grip or strain relief on the cables coming out of box if you trip on cables you don't destroy the controller.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 07:25:52 PM »
I always get a chuckle out of all the cord grip posts.  This is my 10th year animation and I've never used a cord grip and I have had cables laying all over the yard.  But then I am one of those folks who grew up when there were no seatbelts in cars either.  I learned to look where I was going, but at my age that is becoming harder to do so maybe I need to reconsider.  LOL.  I now own some cordgrips but their purpose will be to waterprotect some cables coming out the vertical side of a tool box controller case.  Best wishes for whatever path you choose.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline Ebuechner

• Kudos: 10
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 07:58:33 PM »
I remember no seat belts.
Family trips in the station wagon pretty much sitting on top of the gas tank with a seat that faced out the back window.
No seatbelts = playing with blinky lights because of dain bamage :o ;D.
Just picture me off in the corner of the basement muttering (look at all the pretty colors)

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 04:59:39 AM »
I have both, with and without cord grips. Never had a problem using the provided holes and not sealing them. The only issue I have, is after years of use the foam seal in the hole I use to run the cat 5 cables through gets worn out. I take the cat5 cable out each year, makes the controllers easier to store for me. I just stick a little insulation in the hole which is worn to keep the fine blowing snow out. I like the cord grips for strain relief on the cables. Any new controllers I build I use the cord grips only for this reason.
Todd L.
Kimberly, WI

Falcon F16V3 F48, FPP, X-Lights, LOR, Pi 3B

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 07:38:07 AM »
For stopping cord strain I zip tie several cords together inside the box that are not in the same hole.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 09:24:22 AM »
For stopping cord strain I zip tie several cords together inside the box that are not in the same hole.

The proper term for that kind of cord strain, Jim, is "Crap, my foot caught on the stupid wires again."

Offline jhoybs

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 10:25:11 AM »

The proper term for that kind of cord strain, Jim, is "Crap, my foot caught on the stupid wires again."

Jim, that's exactly what I do (after learning my lesson and using some colorfull adjectives)

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 05:46:16 PM »
As I get older I have to watch out for my feet even more than in the past.  And no more ladder climbing either.  Getting old is not for wimps. Sigh.

Offline StickyWicket

• Kudos: 4
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 01:16:40 PM »
I have both, with and without cord grips. Never had a problem using the provided holes and not sealing them. The only issue I have, is after years of use the foam seal in the hole I use to run the cat 5 cables through gets worn out. I take the cat5 cable out each year, makes the controllers easier to store for me. I just stick a little insulation in the hole which is worn to keep the fine blowing snow out. I like the cord grips for strain relief on the cables. Any new controllers I build I use the cord grips only for this reason.

I do the same thing with my cat 5, this year I am adding these to all my cases to make it easier. (You may find them cheaper elsewhere, but I was buying stuff from them anyway)

https://www.crockettfantasyoflights.com/product/waterproof-rj45-connector/

Offline jchancel

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2017, 10:10:29 PM »
That's genius.  Can't believe I never thought of that.

Sent from my P00A using Tapatalk