Author Topic: Vixen3 to FPP?  (Read 8032 times)

Offline poolprousa

• Kudos: 0
  • The Brightest Lights are in a Childs Eyes
Vixen3 to FPP?
« on: February 12, 2014, 04:43:23 PM »
Will the FPP "play" a file created in Vixen3?  I know one of the eventual developments in NC is to be able to import/convert Vixen3 files...just wondering if that step can be bypassed right now.

Offline Materdaddy

• Kudos: 10
    • Christmas On Quiet Hills
Re: Vixen3 to FPP?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 04:58:22 PM »
No.  FPP will play files that NC/xLights can convert to fseq.

I believe there are discussions of ways to make this happen on the V3 forums.  One of the reasons I didn't give V3 a harder look was their "lock you in" files wherein your sequencer HAD to be your playback engine as well.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 77
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 06:01:16 PM »
Yep. You could not export Vixen 3 to anything. Some tried to get Vixen 3 to output to one file type I forgot which one but they had problems. The ability to export to other sequencers/players is in the hands of the Vixen 3 team at this point.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 11:48:47 PM »
this is correct.

here are the paths

Vixen 2.1 => *.vix => xlights => *.fseq
LOR lms => *.lms => xlights => *.fseq
HLS => *.hlsdata => xlights => *.fseq
Vixen+ => *.vix => xlights => *.fseq
LSP => *.seq => xlights => *.fseq

Vixen3 => their own xml file format .  Can't be used by xlights.

xlights cannot convert this file since it does NOT contain the actual bytes of your sequence.
It is a goal of the Vixen3 development team to produce a file , fully rendered. when they do that, we will write a converter for their files.

so, sorry, at this time Vixen 3 cannot be used with the Pi player or with Nutcracker.
Sean
Littleton, CO Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 08:58:56 AM »
Sean that last reply belongs in the NC faqs on your site.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 10:27:34 AM »

xlights cannot convert this file since it does NOT contain the actual bytes of your sequence.
It is a goal of the Vixen3 development team to produce a file , fully rendered. when they do that, we will write a converter for their files.

<joke level='50%'>
Hmm, so what we're saying is that FPP needs a 'Record E1.31' feature in Bridge mode where you could click a "Start Recording" button to start recording E1.31 data to a .fseq file and then start playback in Vixen 3 or any other non-supported sequencer and when you're done you hit 'Stop Recording' and you have a .fseq file to use in FPP or xLights/NC or for conversion to another sequencer's format via xLights/NC.  :)
</joke>
-
Chris

Offline Materdaddy

• Kudos: 10
    • Christmas On Quiet Hills
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 11:06:48 AM »

<joke level='50%'>
Hmm, so what we're saying is that FPP needs a 'Record E1.31' feature in Bridge mode where you could click a "Start Recording" button to start recording E1.31 data to a .fseq file and then start playback in Vixen 3 or any other non-supported sequencer and when you're done you hit 'Stop Recording' and you have a .fseq file to use in FPP or xLights/NC or for conversion to another sequencer's format via xLights/NC.  :)
</joke>

I've thought of that before, but E1.31 doesn't record timing data, so if you had a network hiccup during "record" you'd have the same hiccup every time you played back your recording, instead of the "one time" thing.  There might be other gotchas, but that was one of the main reasons I didn't pursue the idea further.  I'm guessing you have some reservations since you're at a 50% joke level...

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 11:16:41 AM »
I've thought of that before, but E1.31 doesn't record timing data, so if you had a network hiccup during "record" you'd have the same hiccup every time you played back your recording, instead of the "one time" thing.  There might be other gotchas, but that was one of the main reasons I didn't pursue the idea further.  I'm guessing you have some reservations since you're at a 50% joke level...

Main reservation would be that I have enough things on my TODO list right now to play with and support this functionality right now.  :)  I don't think it would be too hard to implement since we already have bridge mode, but you are definitely right about the hickups.  I think we have enough memory to buffer the sequence in memory before saving for reasonable length sequences.  I have a bridge branch with some changes to the bridge mode that David was testing, there might need to be some tweaks to the way we handle received data.  In the branch, I believe I just send received data out every 50ms without trying to check for the highest universe number or sync with sources that don't send at our required frame rate.  We'd have to do something like that for this as well, and it may not ever be a 100% perfect copy of the source material, but could be good enough for getting data out of closed sequencers.

Offline poolprousa

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 01:04:25 PM »
As a newcomer to the blinky community, I am just looking at all the options out there.  The vibe I'm getting from the V3 devs/community is that NC is only important to them as a component of their software; I don't sense an urgency from them to put much effort into conversion of V3 to NC...I could be wrong, hope I am.  I really like components of both packages, but hey, it is what it  is.  I appreciate the efforts of ALL the devs out there, whatever platform...you are not thanked enough. 

I have just scratched the surface in the learning curve; I'm getting together with Jim Nealand in a few weeks for some 1 on 1 tutoring  8)

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 77
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 01:31:25 PM »
I am a member of the Vixen 3 development group on Google and they have mentioned several times that the ability to export to other players/sequencers such as Xlights/FPP is on their lists of things to do this year.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 01:45:11 PM by David Pitts »

Offline mms

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 2
    • Lone Tree Light Show on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 01:43:30 PM »
As a newcomer to the blinky community, I am just looking at all the options out there.  The vibe I'm getting from the V3 devs/community is that NC is only important to them as a component of their software; I don't sense an urgency from them to put much effort into conversion of V3 to NC...I could be wrong, hope I am.  I really like components of both packages, but hey, it is what it  is.  I appreciate the efforts of ALL the devs out there, whatever platform...you are not thanked enough. 

I have just scratched the surface in the learning curve; I'm getting together with Jim Nealand in a few weeks for some 1 on 1 tutoring  8)

Jim is a good guy to learn from!

I personally would use Vixen+ if I was brand new.  It's like Vixen 2.1 on steroids.  And if you're anal retentive (like I am) about truly synchronizing your light show - as opposed to just animating the lights - the Vixen+ platform will allow you to tweak your effects at the channel level.  V3 is going with the object-based sequencing approach so you won't be able to change things.  V+ also allows you to load/save routines.  I generate my own effects in the VIR format so this support is a must for me.  V3 doesn't support routines.  V3 works for some people, just not me, and, as mentioned, not for anyone wanting to use the reliable and streamlined xLights scheduler or those that want to convert to FPP/fseq.

Welcome to this crazy hobby!

Offline poolprousa

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 01:51:07 PM »
I am a member of the Vixen 3 development group on Google and they have mentioned several times that the ability to export to other players/sequencers such as Xlights/FPP is on their lists of things to do this year.

That's great.  I have 4-6 weeks before I start 16-hour days in my pool construction business, usually ending in September, so I'm just trying to ingest and digest and start implementation of as much as I can before I get slammed, so as to have a good jump on all this come October

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 92
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 09:52:08 AM »

If anyone want to try recording the output of Vixen 3, I've attached a little java program that might do it.   If you set the output to be unicast to 127.0.0.1 (localhost), this should be able to record the data into both fseq and xseq formats.   (I may move the fseq -> xseq converter into xLights itself)

You'll need Java7 installed.   Just compile it with "javac E131Recorder.java", then run it with "java E131Recorder  'filename' ".   It will listen for the unicast data.   It will start recording at the first universe it finds with non "off" data.   Hit "enter" to end recording.  It will output  'filename.xseq' and 'filename.fseq' files in the current directory.   

By sticking with unicast on localhost, much of the network latency and dropped packets and stuff will hopefully be a non-issue.   I haven't really tested the resulting fseq file yet.   I've only "recorded" output from xLights and then loaded the new xseq into xlights and made sure it displayed OK in the preview.   

Apologies for the code... it's not pretty and certainly not reflective of my normal work.   Just through it together real quick to see if it's even possible.  :-)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 10:10:25 AM »
If anyone want to try recording the output of Vixen 3, I've attached a little java program that might do it.   If you set the output to be unicast to 127.0.0.1 (localhost), this should be able to record the data into both fseq and xseq formats.   (I may move the fseq -> xseq converter into xLights itself)

Very nice...   and the gold goes to dkulp!  :)

Portable, simple, and eliminates most chances of interference when using separate devices, etc..  I didn't give it a real test yet, but it did compile and run on my Fedora box.  I did have to CTRL-C out of it after hitting ENTER since I hadn't sent any E1.31 data to it, but that's a minor issue with a non-normal use case.

Offline poolprousa

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 02:45:04 PM »
I personally would use Vixen+ if I was brand new.  It's like Vixen 2.1 on steroids.  And if you're anal retentive (like I am) about truly synchronizing your light show - as opposed to just animating the lights - the Vixen+ platform will allow you to tweak your effects at the channel level. 

You hit the nail squarely on the head!...while I haven't started sequencing anything yet, I can quickly see the benefits of using NC with its speed and quality of fx for RGB; however, I DO want spot-on synchronozation and timing of the LED elements I will also be using.  I will give V+ a closer look.