Author Topic: power supply heat  (Read 788 times)

Offline Smithbuilt

• Kudos: 0
power supply heat
« on: October 03, 2017, 07:24:36 PM »
How many power supplies can I safely put in one enclosure? We are building a 64 x 100 mega tree this year using 2811 bullet nodes. I have two water proof tool boxes that I thought I could put the ps and boards in. The approximate interior dimensions of the boxes are 24" x 10" x 10". I want to put 4 ps, an F16v3 and an expansion in one box. And 4 ps with 4 distro boards in the other. They do physically fit well, but i am concerned about the heat generated. I live in mid to north Ontario. During November and December we can see 15 deg C to -30 deg C, depending on the year. I want to make sure I don't bake anything. Thoughts?

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
Re: power supply heat
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 08:17:14 PM »
It needs to be ventillated as an absolute minimum as the power supplies will be 80-90% efficient with the balance of all that power getting turned into heat. Being in a cold climate I would suggest that maybe a thermostat controlled fan coming on when the temp is over about 30C would be desirable. If you don't put fan forced cooling into it then at least ensure the air inlet and air exhaust are spaced vertically to allow for convection cooling. As the air heats up it will rise and vent itself out.

Offline Smithbuilt

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 08:49:33 PM »
What about using a medium sized tote and putting all 8 power supplies and the F16v3, expansion and distro board in that. I could use the F16v3 for fan control?
Why I split them up was so not all the heat was in one box. And I figured the tool boxes were tougher. Maybe overkill....

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 50
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 07:54:34 PM »
If the tool boxes are metal, they may work.  The power supplies heat output is relative to the load on them.  If you are pushing them for all that they are worth, then they can and will get hot.  If you are only using them for about half to 3/4 their rated output, they tend to only get warm.  The metal case (if that is what they are) will act like a heat sink and pull some of that heat away provided that the PS case is in contact with the tool box.  If these boxes are plastic, then the supplies will probably overheat since plastic is not a good conductor of heat.