Author Topic: Differential receiver on 24v?  (Read 1126 times)

Offline jhoybs

• Kudos: 5
Differential receiver on 24v?
« on: October 13, 2017, 11:27:49 AM »
Can I run a differential receiver board on 24VDC?  The parts appear to support it, but I want to be sure.  If it makes a difference, I have a recent "white board" model.
Jim H.
Muskego, WI
Falcon F16v3, PiCap, FPPs. Lynx Expresses, xLights

Offline darylc

• Supporting Member

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 75
Re: Differential receiver on 24v?
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 10:29:22 PM »
We have had a user try it and I think it worked for him. The power need by the chips are minimal so the heat may not be bad. The PWR LED will burn real bright though.

I would try it out and see if regulator gets hot. It is real cool at 12V so I removed heat sync from bill of material.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline jhoybs

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 11:23:10 AM »
We have had a user try it and I think it worked for him. The power need by the chips are minimal so the heat may not be bad. The PWR LED will burn real bright though.

I would try it out and see if regulator gets hot. It is real cool at 12V so I removed heat sync from bill of material.

Thank you SOOOO much David - I was trying to avoid calling you.  I can easily add a heat sink just in case, but I'll check the temp of the regulator before I add it.   ;)

Jim

Offline brianandrus

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 03:54:22 PM »
Curious if you were able to successfully do this.

I have some 24v LED strings and I am trying to see the easiest/best way to control them using the pixelcontroller products.
I have the F16V3 along with an expansion board, a differential expansion board and differential receivers.
I'd prefer to not have to remove the resistor off the F16v3 to allow >13v, but the specs for the expansion boards seem to indicate nothing over 12v.

Brian

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 75
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 10:58:45 PM »
To run > 13V from F16V3 is a little more complicated it would seem. The voltage detection system is expecting <13V so two more resistors would need to be removed to keep processor pins from seeing to high of voltage.

Offline jhoybs

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 04:33:03 AM »
Curious if you were able to successfully do this.

I have some 24v LED strings and I am trying to see the easiest/best way to control them using the pixelcontroller products.
I have the F16V3 along with an expansion board, a differential expansion board and differential receivers.
I'd prefer to not have to remove the resistor off the F16v3 to allow >13v, but the specs for the expansion boards seem to indicate nothing over 12v.

Brian

Brian - I was going to try 24V on a remote differential receiver, but I ended up using a PiCap instead.  I'm running the PiCap directly off the 24V supply and the on-board regulator will drive the PI with 5V.  Works great.

Offline uncledan

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 08:05:22 PM »
Old post I know.. Anyone have any input on this?  I would love to power a couple receivers at 24v and looking for some input/advice on doing so.  Thanks! 

Offline Livermore-Dad

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 10:34:56 PM »
Well.. I've not tempted fate by throwing 24v into a differential.  However, you could run a distribution board with 24volts and the data from the differential, just make sure they share a common ground. So a enclosure might have a 24 volt power supply, you would run a 24v-5/12v convertor to the differential, run 24 volt to the distribution. pigtails would come off the 24volt distribution for power and the data would come from the differential.  (obviously you could run 2 power supplies of different voltages in the same enclosure as well, just seems like a waste).

I know some stuff. For example i know I don't know anything.

Offline uncledan

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 11:06:11 PM »
Well.. I've not tempted fate by throwing 24v into a differential.  However, you could run a distribution board with 24volts and the data from the differential, just make sure they share a common ground. So a enclosure might have a 24 volt power supply, you would run a 24v-5/12v convertor to the differential, run 24 volt to the distribution. pigtails would come off the 24volt distribution for power and the data would come from the differential.  (obviously you could run 2 power supplies of different voltages in the same enclosure as well, just seems like a waste).
Thanks for the reply.  I power inject the majority of my display so I get where youre going.  I bought a bunch of starflakes/snowflakes from Plasmadrive that have (90)2812B each with a 24-5v converter on each flake.  I was hoping to have an RSP500-24 powering the receiver and 4 flakes per output.  The way they're wired this would be the easiest if possible

Offline thekev

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2018, 12:49:42 PM »
Old post I know.. Anyone have any input on this?  I would love to power a couple receivers at 24v and looking for some input/advice on doing so.  Thanks!

I put 24V on mine and the regulator gets really hot, as do the fuse indicators. The latter is going to burn out - the former I think a heat sink will resolve. I may change the resistors on the fuse LEDs.