Author Topic: First year Chirstmas setup, control enclosure done!  (Read 1782 times)

Offline margo

• Kudos: 1
First year Chirstmas setup, control enclosure done!
« on: October 17, 2017, 09:23:30 PM »

I decided pretty late in the game this year that I wanted to get invloved in a light display, so for this year, it's just about 400 pixels on the roof line and around the windows. Next year will be some arches and a few mini trees, maybe a mega tree as well. But I got the control enclosure done! Turned out pretty nice! Got a volt/amp meter on the door, 30A power supply underneath, Falcon F4V3 and the Pi on top. Found a nifty little power distribution board on amazon that made power injection hookups too easy. I also added the Pi LCD shield, which for those of you paying attention, will notice would mount upside down in the pictures I attached... So I had to flip the Pi around. Can't get everything perfect on the first attempt lol.

Made some PVC frames with some mounting strips for the LEDs which should be here in the next few days then I can get testing! Using Xlights right now, so doing lots of experimenting to figure things out. Next year I'll get a FM transmitter and get in the music sync game. Can't wait!

Also, it was getting decently warm in the enclosure. Not sure if it'll be an issue here in Iowa, but I got a $6 vent kit and $4 fan coming from Amazon. I'll put the weather resistant vent towards the top of the door and the fan on the bottom and that should make some really good airflow if it's needed for a few weeks.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 09:30:51 PM by margo »

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 34
Re: First year Chirstmas setup, control enclosure done!
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 07:24:10 AM »
Nicely done!  ;D

Do you have an Amazon link for that power distro board?  There are several others out there (Falcon, for example https://www.pixelcontroller.com/store/index.php?id_product=46&controller=product) but I don't recognize the one you have.
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / homemade controllers for everything else

Online algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 08:02:22 AM »
I take it you are going to use the fan to pull air INTO the box?  If there is room behind the vent, wouldn't it be better to use it to pull the heat from the box?  That Falcon has a fan control on it and would turn it on and off as necessary. 

Just an observation.  Which ever way you go with it, make sure you show us.

Nice job.
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline margo

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 08:30:38 AM »
Do you have an Amazon link for that power distro board?  There are several others out there (Falcon, for example https://www.pixelcontroller.com/store/index.php?id_product=46&controller=product) but I don't recognize the one you have.

http://a.co/hOhvoEA is the one I got for $27.50. I should have gotten the falcon one, it's a lot more compact! I guess for next year's remote controller enclosures I'll be able to go that route.

Offline margo

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 08:37:58 AM »
I take it you are going to use the fan to pull air INTO the box?  If there is room behind the vent, wouldn't it be better to use it to pull the heat from the box?  That Falcon has a fan control on it and would turn it on and off as necessary. 

Just an observation.  Which ever way you go with it, make sure you show us.

Nice job.

Actually that's a much better idea! then I only need a few smaller vent holes on the bottom to allow the air in instead of a large hole on the door for the vent and a large hole on the bottom for the fan.

I was thinking that only the F16V3 has the fan output, and I bought the F4V3. @Bshaver made a FPP plugin that can use the GPIO to detect temperature and I mentioned in that post maybe he could add a GPIO output as well.

Offline L1011

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 08:48:20 AM »
Looks great!! I'm thinking of buying a Bud Industries box and plate like yours. Is that the NBF32012 box?  I'm not a big fan of the CG's.

Slightly O/T... I had great hope for HolidayCoro's new dry box but it seems that product fell off the planet.  I haven't seen anything on it all year.
Newbie for 2016 using FPP, F16v2r, F4v2, and WS2811 bullet pixels.

Offline margo

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 09:00:46 AM »
Looks great!! I'm thinking of buying a Bud Industries box and plate like yours. Is that the NBF32012 box?  I'm not a big fan of the CG's.

http://a.co/afQs5Fa It's actually the NBF-32016 (12"x8"x6") and I really like it. Using two of the back planes with spacers in between to get everything nice and organized.

Offline L1011

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2017, 09:21:31 AM »
I also like the connectors you used.  Did you get those on Amazon as well?  I got connectors from a vendor "CrazyEve" on Amazon. They're ok, we'll see how they hold up this winter as it's my first year using them.

Could I bug you to ask how you wired up the Pi?  I see the USB connector for power, but did you simply hook up the other end to the 5v power supply?  I'm trying to avoid using the 120v plug that ships with the Pi.  Thanks!

« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 09:29:39 AM by L1011 »

Offline margo

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 09:37:58 AM »
I also like the connectors you used.  Did you get those on Amazon as well?  I got connectors from a vendor "CrazyEve" on Amazon. They're ok, we'll see how they hold up this winter as it's my first year using them.

http://a.co/4TCMBZ4 Guess I should of posted my BOM right away haha. Got the 10 pack of two conductor and ordered14/2C Landscape Lighting Cable @ $0.27/foot from www.wireandcableyourway.com for the power. It's a good price and outdoor rated two pair.14# should be plenty. I don't have any runs over 25 feet (I think 20 is my longest on this power supply) and all will be less than 5A, and 25', 5A puts me right at 5% drop

Offline margo

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 09:42:48 AM »
Could I bug you to ask how you wired up the Pi?  I see the USB connector for power, but did you simply hook up the other end to the 5v power supply?  I'm trying to avoid using the 120v plug that ships with the Pi.  Thanks!

If you look in the second picture, way on the right above the shunt, you can see the 120V to 5V transformer I used. http://a.co/1oLheTS, but it's currently unavailable. It's defiantly overkill, but I had it from a previous project. The 12V to 5V buck converters are super cheap (I have 3-4 sitting in the parts bin) if your Pi is in the same enclosure as your power supply. Just they tend to be at 1A, so you'll have to make sure you get a 2A one

Offline PeteyHall

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 12:16:04 PM »
Not sure if you've tried it yet, but I loaded up one of those boxes with everything there, as well as a distribution board and the pi inside the case, and I had extremely inconsistent wifi access to the pi.

I took the pi out of the case and wifi started working perfectly.  I know others have gotten it to work, I just wanted to raise it to your attention in case you start getting drops/slowness when accessing the UI.

Offline dgbcoleman

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 12:51:44 PM »
nice!!!!!!!!!

Offline margo

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 01:17:11 PM »
Not sure if you've tried it yet, but I loaded up one of those boxes with everything there, as well as a distribution board and the pi inside the case, and I had extremely inconsistent wifi access to the pi.

I took the pi out of the case and wifi started working perfectly.  I know others have gotten it to work, I just wanted to raise it to your attention in case you start getting drops/slowness when accessing the UI.

I was going to get a wifi adapter that had an external antenna that I would mount to the box, but the enclosure will be about 12 feet away from the access point with only one wall in between, so I was going to see if it worked. If not, I'll get the external antenna.