Author Topic: LOR DMX e1.31 to Picap via Wifi - jitters in animation  (Read 812 times)

Offline j_czerwin

• Kudos: 0
LOR DMX e1.31 to Picap via Wifi - jitters in animation
« on: October 21, 2017, 09:33:20 AM »
My first time using picaps in my LOR show, and it all seems to be coming along well, until my last sequence having a bit more motion with a meteor type of effect.  There appears to be a little delay in the motion and I'm thinking either I should focus on either a setup issue or program my sequence differently.

Any suggestions?

LOR-DMX-Wifi to two pi's.   Defined as 4 universes.
70 pixels on each of the output ports on the pi cap. - each output is it's own universe.

Simple colors and fades seem to work ok, but multiple meteor effects circling around the 70 pixel window made it look like it was pausing momentarily.

Any suggestions appreciated!  Thank you in advance!
Jay

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sg902uq5wurk3vn/Screenshot_1.jpg?dl=0
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 09:42:31 AM by j_czerwin »

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
Re: LOR DMX e1.31 to Picap via Wifi - jitters in animation
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 05:01:44 PM »
Having fairly empty universes means that there is a lot more data is being sent out than really needs to. Using 70 pixels per universe rather than the 170 they are capable of means that you are sending out more than twice the amount of data that you need to and this may be where your jitter is coming from as the wifi signal may not be reliable enough to get the info out that fast. I'd try changing to 140 pixels per universe.

Offline j_czerwin

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 06:30:24 AM »
Having fairly empty universes means that there is a lot more data is being sent out than really needs to. Using 70 pixels per universe rather than the 170 they are capable of means that you are sending out more than twice the amount of data that you need to and this may be where your jitter is coming from as the wifi signal may not be reliable enough to get the info out that fast. I'd try changing to 140 pixels per universe.

Interesting and thank you.  Id think that if I set it up in FPP with the right amount of channels and only have the 70 pixels in LOR that it would not send all 512 channels.  But thats worth testing out!

Through a different channel, it was suggested I try hard wire first instead of WiFi.   So I have two good ideas to check out so far. 

Thank you again!
Jay

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 06:57:45 AM »
All the channels of every assigned universe gets sent every time even if only 1 channel was on a universe. With wifi if the signal is a bit dodgy the router can try a number of times to get a successful transmission so the more data it has to put through the greater the chance of failure and the less time available to get the data through. Data integrity is always the key though. If you've got reliable data then it will get through quicker than if it needs to resend.