Author Topic: DLA dumb string controller from 16v3 pixel strand conection?  (Read 1397 times)

Offline animal

• Kudos: 0
    • Christmas Tech
DLA dumb string controller from 16v3 pixel strand conection?
« on: October 22, 2017, 07:43:43 PM »
Hey everyone,
    I have a few dumb strings that run off my dla active hub set up with pixel net. The controller on the dumb string is pixel net in and then converted to rgb out to the dumb string. Anyone have any of these working with the falcon 16v2/3 from the pixel channels. Is it compatible, or will I have to replace it with a dmx rgb controller?

Thanks,
                                            animal

Offline deplanche

• Kudos: 5
Re: DLA dumb string controller from 16v3 pixel strand conection?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 08:21:34 PM »
You can connect pixelnet via the DMX output ports.  Need to configure the ports on the Serial Output Port page.  Connect your hub to the F16, and then the SSCs or DSCs to the hub the same as usual. 

Offline animal

• Christmas Tech
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 10:11:18 AM »
OK, that make sense. I thought I could get away with useing the pixel channels on the 16v3 and eliminating the dla active hub.

Thanks,
                                                                      animal

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 02:52:55 PM »
Dumb strings are actually a 4 wire connection with one wire for each color and the 4th being the hot/neutral anode/cathode??? ( don't remember the actual words).  Although they function like RGB they are not the same thing as smart strings the Falcon and other controllers use.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 09:22:56 AM »
You can set the Serial output of the F16v2 or v3 to be pixelnet. If done, then a CAT5 cable to the SSC is all that is needed for the Data. You would need to supply power, though. The DLA hub doesn't process the pixelnet, it just distributes plus adds power.

SSCs (smart and dumb) put data on the first two wires of CAT5 (orange/orange-white) and power on the remaining 6 conductors. A hub is convenient because it handles all that but it is not absolutely required if you know the wiring layout.

OW  Data
O     Data

GW  V+
B     V+
BW  V+

G     ground/V-
BW  ground/V-
B     ground/V-

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 12:42:59 PM »
I have thought about this sort of thing alot and wonder what would actually happen if you tried it.  You might have to setup the port of F16V3 for 512 channels/one pair of PN so the pic then could works it's magic.  That said, you could probably fit a 4port hub in the same case... 

There is also another way to accomplishing this.  http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php?topic=7005.0 
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 11:33:38 AM »
Its kind of a waste to dedicate a whole RJ45 output to a single Dumb SSC but there isn't any reason it couldn't work. A hub makes the power part easier, though.

Offline animal

• Christmas Tech
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 06:18:10 AM »
 What I'm going to try is to replace the dla ether dongle with the 16v3. static ip set with the universes I need up to the 4v3 static ip which will be set to the last universes I need for that controller. From the 16v3, I'll set 1st rj45 port for full pixel net out to the dla active hub and use it as normal with my dumb ssc's. I'll take the pixel out from the dla active hub to run to another dla active hub for my megatree out to ssc's with the dla firmware. Both dla active hubs regenerate pixel net to dmx, so I can use the dmx outs from there to run my dmx controllers in the yard as normal. Where the 16v3 is, which is on my roof. I'll set 2nd rj45 port for dmx to run a couple of dmx controllers on the roof. All my dmx are dedicated to the 1st universe. Now this all sounds good in theory, but in time of crunch, that's when the fun comes in. hehehe.

What am I missing. (which I'm sure I am)
                                                                        animal

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 06:34:37 AM »
Here's my "optimum" setup for Serial Outputs from an F16V3.

Since a Pixelnet Hub can only work with two universes of Pixelnet anyway, setup Ports #1 and #4 as Pixelnet out. Run a cable from RJ45 port 1 to the Hub and set the jumpers for 1 and 4.

Now, you can set both ports 2 and 3 (they have their own RJ45 jacks and jumpers for DMX/LOR/Renard) to DMX output

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 07:40:28 AM »
What I'm going to try is to replace the dla ether dongle with the 16v3. static ip set with the universes I need up to the 4v3 static ip which will be set to the last universes I need for that controller. From the 16v3, I'll set 1st rj45 port for full pixel net out to the dla active hub and use it as normal with my dumb ssc's. I'll take the pixel out from the dla active hub to run to another dla active hub for my megatree out to ssc's with the dla firmware. Both dla active hubs regenerate pixel net to dmx, so I can use the dmx outs from there to run my dmx controllers in the yard as normal. Where the 16v3 is, which is on my roof. I'll set 2nd rj45 port for dmx to run a couple of dmx controllers on the roof. All my dmx are dedicated to the 1st universe. Now this all sounds good in theory, but in time of crunch, that's when the fun comes in. hehehe.

What am I missing. (which I'm sure I am)

animal

Sounds good to me.