Author Topic: PiCap not working after 1.9 update  (Read 1171 times)

Offline sr4uk

• Kudos: 0
PiCap not working after 1.9 update
« on: October 23, 2017, 05:52:17 AM »
I'm running my Halloween show currently and having lots of issues with my 2 Pi's not being accessible anymore through my network.  I was on 1.8 so figured I'd see if the 1.9 update helped at all.  My show has been running perfectly for weeks now but after the 1.9 update I can no longer my Pi with the hat to control my pixels.  No changes were made on my end except the system update to 1.9.  Here is my config page: 

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 126
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Re: PiCap not working after 1.9 update
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 06:00:21 AM »
My guess is that your Pi is still running the v1.5 core.

Download and install the new v1.8 core and then update to v1.9

The latest FPP release for the Raspberry Pi is FPP v1.8 and is available for download at the following location:

FPP v1.8 Release Pi SD image: https://github.com/FalconChristmas/fpp/releases/download/1.8/FPP-v1.8-Pi.zip

Offline sr4uk

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 06:34:40 AM »
I re-imaged both of my controllers with a fresh download of the 1.8 core before I started the show sometime in early September of this year.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 06:43:30 AM »
The problem is probably not with your string output settings you showed but with the Networking setup.

You said that the Pis are not accessible but you were able to get that screen capture. Can you more completely describe the problem?

Is it networking?  CAT5 or Wireless access? 

Offline sr4uk

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 06:48:48 AM »
The problem is probably not with your string output settings you showed but with the Networking setup.

You said that the Pis are not accessible but you were able to get that screen capture. Can you more completely describe the problem?

Is it networking?  CAT5 or Wireless access?

It's wireless access.  I can access both Pi's when they are first powered on.  Then at some point between 1 - 12 hours after being powered on I lose the ability to connect to them via the web interface and ssh.  However, if the show is already kicked off and running before they lose connection it will continue.  I've tried changing my dhcp lease refresh time to 30 minutes to keep them communicating but to no avail.  Also, the Pi Hat and pixels have been running on my halloween show on 1.8 perfectly fine for 4 weeks, only after going to 1.9 did they stop working. 

Offline sr4uk

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 07:16:21 AM »
I will also throw out that the Display testing option does not work either, it's not just the show that doesn't run.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 08:19:09 AM »

It's wireless access.  I can access both Pi's when they are first powered on.  Then at some point between 1 - 12 hours after being powered on I lose the ability to connect to them via the web interface and ssh.  However, if the show is already kicked off and running before they lose connection it will continue. I've tried changing my dhcp lease refresh time to 30 minutes to keep them communicating but to no avail.  Also, the Pi Hat and pixels have been running on my halloween show on 1.8 perfectly fine for 4 weeks, only after going to 1.9 did they stop working.

If the show keeps running even though you can't communicate, are they running Master or Standalone? or are they Remotes?

I have a RasPi 3 loaded with v1.8/v1.9 upgrade that will occasionally lose connectivity but it is a Remote, so it just stops playing completely.

Offline sr4uk

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 08:51:35 AM »

It's wireless access.  I can access both Pi's when they are first powered on.  Then at some point between 1 - 12 hours after being powered on I lose the ability to connect to them via the web interface and ssh.  However, if the show is already kicked off and running before they lose connection it will continue. I've tried changing my dhcp lease refresh time to 30 minutes to keep them communicating but to no avail.  Also, the Pi Hat and pixels have been running on my halloween show on 1.8 perfectly fine for 4 weeks, only after going to 1.9 did they stop working.

If the show keeps running even though you can't communicate, are they running Master or Standalone? or are they Remotes?

I have a RasPi 3 loaded with v1.8/v1.9 upgrade that will occasionally lose connectivity but it is a Remote, so it just stops playing completely.

They are Master and Remote.  I know they SHOULDN'T keep going but they do.  It's the weirdest thing.  I experienced it last year too which is why I started off with a fresh install this year. 

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 07:03:13 PM »
1. A lease time of 30 minutes seems incredibly short.  Most of the ones I see in home environments are several days in length. 

2. Most of us do not use DHCP on wifi access, but use static addresses so that we always know what ip to access.  I would never recommend DHCP for wifi on your Pis.  I assume you are using DHCP on wifi since you brought up the lease time issue.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline sr4uk

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 05:20:42 AM »
1. A lease time of 30 minutes seems incredibly short.  Most of the ones I see in home environments are several days in length. 

2. Most of us do not use DHCP on wifi access, but use static addresses so that we always know what ip to access.  I would never recommend DHCP for wifi on your Pis.  I assume you are using DHCP on wifi since you brought up the lease time issue.

I had actually set them both to static IP's last year and the first part of this year but was running into an issue where they would lose connectivity after about 2 hours and I could no longer access them from the GUI or SSH.  I switched them to DHCP with the low lease length in an effort to force them to "stay alive" but that did not work so I thought I'd upgrade to 1.9 to see if that resolved the issue.  I even pulled the controller and manually reflashed it with 1.8 and it still won't pick the rest up. 

That said, I removed my PI Cap configuration and rebooted my PI.  Manually re-entered the configuration and rebooted it again.  After doing this I can get the first 184 pixels of my total 815 to work.   No matter what I do now I cannot get the rest to light though.