Author Topic: Falcon Zeus firmware  (Read 20093 times)

Offline taybrynn

• Kudos: 8
    • RockinChristmas Facebook Page
Re: Falcon Zeus firmware
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 10:43:57 AM »
I would think using a DLA ssc v4 seems the easiest by far for those who have one, since no jumpers at all.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 209
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 02:00:46 PM »
I've wondered about sacrificing a SSC v4 board to install a ZIF socket on it to make it easier to (re)program those chips, but then I've also wondered about selling my Zeus to get the F16v2, so that sounds like a better option. :)
-
Chris

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 02:41:40 PM »
So there is no zif socket that lets you just drop in the pic, lock it in program it, unlock move along without messing with jumper and such?

I think I have one of the sockets that can be adapted, have to take a look at that.

Thanks for the help fellows.

Alan

Offline taybrynn

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 02:57:37 PM »
Did you have a part# for the ZIF in mind, that would fit on SSC v4 ?

I mean, yeah its a royal pain programming all those pics, but you don't have to drop the chip all way into the SSC socket do you?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 03:07:40 PM »
Did you have a part# for the ZIF in mind, that would fit on SSC v4 ?

I mean, yeah its a royal pain programming all those pics, but you don't have to drop the chip all way into the SSC socket do you?

I don't have a particular part number in mind, I just looked at a few on eBay in the $5-10 range.  They might be too wide to fit on a populated board because of the other components around the chip area, but it might fit.  If it didn't then that's why I mentioned sacrificing a SSC v4 PCB just to use as a programming board, with only the ICSP header and ZIF socket on board.

Offline taybrynn

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 03:11:14 PM »
Thanks.  Thats a great idea.  So is that all thats need, is the ISPF header and the ZIF socket?  I know I tried that on my Etherdongle and I wasn't able to flash it. mms provide a few parts I needed to install, but it still didn't work so I must have been missing something (so I gave up).

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 04:44:32 PM »
Thanks.  Thats a great idea.  So is that all thats need, is the ISPF header and the ZIF socket?  I know I tried that on my Etherdongle and I wasn't able to flash it. mms provide a few parts I needed to install, but it still didn't work so I must have been missing something (so I gave up).

The Red Neck PIC Programmer page http://www.diylightanimation.com/wiki/index.php?title=Red_Neck_Pic24_programmer shows a 0.1uf capacitor as well, but I'm not sure if that is absolutely needed.  If so, it would be three components on the SSC v4 PCB (ZIF, ICSP, and Cap).

Offline Steve Gase

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 5
    • WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 06:01:45 PM »
Even sillier noob questions.  What wires do you use to jump?  I do not recall any jumper wires with my J1sys kit.  Maybe just some scrap? 

Is this the preferred ZIF/simplest jumper scheme?  http://www.ebay.com/itm/ICSP-Adapter-ZIF-8-14-pin-PIC-use-with-PICkit-2-or-3-/330401300050

THANKS
The same chart has the necessary jumpers listed in the right-most column:

http://www.diylightanimation.com/wiki/index.php?title=J1SYS_boards_jumper_chart
http://WinterLightShow.com  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline maffeirw

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 07:09:48 PM »
I've always found that the easiest (and most available) method is to use a simple Radioshack breadboard. I insert the IC starting in the #1 side and then run wire jumpers from the Pickit to the appropriate pins by plugging the jumper into any opening in the same line and side as the pin.  The nice part of this is that the breadboard fits all the PIC IC chips I've tried thus far.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2734155

[attachment deleted by admin]
Luceat lux vestra

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 76
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2014, 07:10:49 PM »
I've always found that the easiest (and most available) method is to use a simple Radioshack breadboard. I insert the IC starting in the #1 side and then run wire jumpers from the Pickit to the appropriate pins by plugging the jumper into any opening in the same line and side as the pin.  The nice part of this is that the breadboard fits all the PIC IC chips I've tried thus far.
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2734155
Nice. i have a Zeus 16 powered up and I am starting to code. :) I will use this thread to blog about my progress so you are all up to date day to day.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2014, 11:05:23 PM »
If I followed my midnight chat with Dave while he was at the show..

I pulled out an unprogrammed SSC V4, hooked it up to the Pickit 3, programmed the V4 falcon code on it.  Verified it took by moving the program jumper and red green blue flashed away.

So now I took that chip and made it Zeus 1-1 starting at 1 (going to be universe 2 pixelnet) programming it with the start address, verified it workedin xlights (all channels) and installed into socket 1 of the Zeus 8.

Wash repeat, through 7 more Zeus chips and finally programmed the SSC V4 chip.  They all took off in xlights, and I ASSUME the start addresses took, but have not played more with xlights to see.

Now, the part I am fuzzy on from Dave.  If I want to change the start address of say pic 3 on the Zeus, can I use the Falcom SSC utility to do that, or do I need to move the chip again.

Understanding this will get updated when you release the next Zeus firmware to test out.

Alan

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 76
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2014, 11:12:00 PM »
You need to move it out to ssv4 and reprogram. I am working on Zeus now.

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2014, 03:58:48 AM »
Can't wait to see the fZeus in action  :P
Ryan

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 67
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2014, 12:52:20 PM »
You guys confuse me by looking at building a zif socket on an SSC v4.  All you need is a a standard zif 14 adapter and a couple of jumper wires.  Works great.

I got this from some post on DLA and thought it was in the wiki, but I just looked for it and couldn't find it.  So here is what I saved.

This is how I have the wires

Wires ran from the header to each leg of the pic

Pic chip                    ICSP header
pin                              pin
1                                  1
14                                2
13                                3
3                                  4
2                                  5
n/c                               6

[attachment deleted by admin]
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline taybrynn

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2014, 02:29:32 PM »
Thanks for the picture.  I had seen those on the dla wiki page ... but all those jumpers ... and knowing how 'accident prone' I tend to be, I can see myself knocking those jumpers off randomly and driving myself crazy trying to figure out whats wrong!!  Esp. if I had to do a bunch of chips ... lol.   That made the SSC V4 sound more my speed, since the issue there is just getting the PIC in and out ... which seems to be within my abilities.