Author Topic: a wee bit frustrated  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Ray

• Kudos: 0
a wee bit frustrated
« on: October 28, 2017, 11:22:59 AM »
Having a real hard time wrapping my mind around addressing  to convert over from LOR to fseq file. For  pi with cap.

But first have to ask, is it how I am framing my question. Or did I shit in someones punch bowl? I see a lot of view to my posts, but hardly anyone answers (except for Jim) (hope I have your name right this time Sir).

Its gotten to the point I dont think I will be able to set up for this year. That is if I dont get real lucky.

What I have is 11 LOR controllers.
128 Pixels for a spinner Connected to the left connector on the cap
104 pixels on two window frames  Connected to the right connector on the pi cap
100 pixels on 4 arches  universe 1 on a E6804
50 pixels on two fire sticks  universe 2 on a E6804
The one E6804 is to be connected to the ethernet port of the Pi
LOR boxes to be connected to the LOR/DMX jack on the cap. Jumpers set to LOR
At this time in S4 (LOR programming software) I have The LOR channels using the LOR protocol. 1.1-16 2.1-16 and so on. With com 3 being the serial to RS-485. And all E1.31 for the pixels

Do I need to change any of the above to be compatible with XLights and the converter portion of the program? How do I do the addressing in the XLights set-up page?

Once I have this figured out with some help. I'll move on to questions about setting up the FPP program.

Capt Murdock or anyone one else? Please. I hate going dark this year, but time is against me. And yes, sorry to be asking for help during crunch time. Worse come worse, I'll just resign to next year and hope someone will help me get out of this rut. I know, I am over thinking this.

Thanks and sorry about the punch bowl reference.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
Re: a wee bit frustrated
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 02:43:22 PM »
I can't answer your questions, but I suspect that you are trying to do to many things from a single Pi.  Everything it appears you are trying to do is possible off a PI, but when you start putting so many different things off one Pi I suspect no else has done that or at least very very few.  I have no experience using LOR or san devices with a Pi, but I have answered, LOL  Now if you were using 3 Pis using master/remote you might get more responses on each technology, just my guess.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline Bwinter

• Kudos: 10
    • First Show 2016
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 03:09:22 PM »
What exactly *is* and *isn't* working?

Since you're using 3 different output-types, have you gotten any of them to work individually?

Offline Ray

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 04:09:13 PM »
Yes you did Jim, and thanks.

Bwinter, well we can start with my head aint working, lol. And that is the big problem. As I said, I just cant get my head around the part of how to get from here to there. So, it seems I have come across what I would say is conflicting info.
So, lets start super simple. I have currently 11 LOR boxes that connect via USB to RS-485 converter. The boxes are addressed via LOR protocol, 1 - 11 and each has 16 channels. Do I change this to DMX protocol and address them channels 1 - 176? and I presume that this will be universe #1.
And how will I address these in the XLights Set-up page?

Offline Ray

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 04:21:34 PM »
One other thought Jim. You are more than likely right about trying to get the poor Pi and cap to do all that it is supposed to be able to do.
Reason I bought it was that is was supposed to be able to run two strings of pixels, 800 pixels each or was that channels? Either case I am way below that count. Then it is supposed to be able to do DMX out of the RJ-45 jack on the cap. Then lastly it is suppose to be able to be able to do E1.31 out of the RJ-45 jack on the Pi board. I have a WiFi stick in the USB port along with a flash drive in another USB port. Oh And I have the jumpers set to send the DMX signals out on the right wires to connect to a LOR box.

You got my head set straight I think for the two little connectors on the Cap.

Thanks
Ray

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 08:46:16 PM »
What Pi are you using?  Must not be a Pi3 if you are using a wifi stick.  One thing about using a Pi3 is that it has a much better processor than the predecessor versions plus it comes with built in wifi and with all you are trying to do you may want to have the best processor you can.  I run a lot of Pi3s as remotes.  Had 5 for last seasons Christmas show and am using 5 for this years Halloween show.  Looks like I might be at 12 for this years Christmas show.  I do use a Pi B+ for my master but all my remotes are Pi3s.

Offline Bwinter

• Kudos: 10
    • First Show 2016
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 10:25:59 PM »
Yes you did Jim, and thanks.

Bwinter, well we can start with my head aint working, lol. And that is the big problem. As I said, I just cant get my head around the part of how to get from here to there. So, it seems I have come across what I would say is conflicting info.
So, lets start super simple. I have currently 11 LOR boxes that connect via USB to RS-485 converter. The boxes are addressed via LOR protocol, 1 - 11 and each has 16 channels. Do I change this to DMX protocol and address them channels 1 - 176? and I presume that this will be universe #1.
And how will I address these in the XLights Set-up page?

So where exactly are you in the process?  Are you able to connect wirelessly from your computer to the Pi through the FPP interface?  Do you have a sequence generated in XLights, and have you been able to load this sequence?

Like others here, I run multiple Pis, with multiple PiHats.

Offline jhoybs

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2017, 10:31:16 PM »
I'm running WS2811 floods (3 on each output of the PiCap) and also DMX out for Lynx Expresses.  See my comment near the end of the thread on page 2:  http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,6139.15.html.  I share my FPP setup and xLights definition.

Sorry, I'm not running LOR or E1.31 out the PI RJ45...
Jim H - Muskego, WI
Falcon F16v3, PiCap, FPPs. Lynx Expresses, xLights

Offline Dave N

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 08:09:58 AM »

I have currently 11 LOR boxes that connect via USB to RS-485 converter. The boxes are addressed via LOR protocol, 1 - 11 and each has 16 channels. Do I change this to DMX protocol

Yes.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline Dave N

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 08:11:45 AM »

I have currently 11 LOR boxes that connect via USB to RS-485 converter. The boxes are addressed via LOR protocol, 1 - 11 and each has 16 channels. Do I change this to DMX protocol

Yes.

And run through crossover cable not through adapter.

Offline K-State Fan

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 08:16:16 AM »

Yes.

And run through crossover cable not through adapter.

If the jumpers are set to LOR on the picap no crossover cable needed.

You can also plug the LOR usb to 485 adapter into the pi and use a standard cable also.

This does not work for 24 channel dc LOR controllers.

Offline Ray

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 03:14:50 PM »
Dave N and K-State, Thanks gents for answering some of my questions. Ok, so I am going to change the protocol from LOR to DMX and assign my 176 channels as universer 1 channels 1 - 176. Ok I had read something that left me thinking that I was to leave it as it is now.
Thanks for straighten me out.

Offline Ray

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 05:39:17 PM »
What Pi are you using?  Must not be a Pi3 if you are using a wifi stick.  One thing about using a Pi3 is that it has a much better processor than the predecessor versions plus it comes with built in wifi and with all you are trying to do you may want to have the best processor you can. 

Yes it did have a built in WiFi. And it worked at one time. But I cant get it anymore. So, I put a stick on it.

Offline Ray

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 05:54:18 PM »
Ok, been spending this past day rearranging my addresses for the channels. So now the S4 has all LOR controllers set as DMX universe 1, channels 1 - 176. The 150 pixels for the 4 arches and two fire sticks are universe 2 channels 1-450. Spinner has 128 pixels on universe 3, channels 1-384. And 104 pixels are for two window frames, universe 4, channels 1-312. The arches are going out to a E6804 on E1.31.

Here I have attached my XLights Set-up page. And my first attempt at converting a lms file to fseq.

Being my first time trying to convert, not really sure what to make of the convert messages in the window to the right of the convert controls.

Thanks

Offline Ray

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 12:01:52 PM »
Ah, at last the secret of Nimh has been revealed to me. Jnealand it to a bit for the "consecutive" sank into me wee bit of brain.

Ok, one more question. I have some LOR channels that I do not have any "on" or any other effect. It appears that my LOR channel count will be less than the total amount of channels. Example I have 11 boxes X 16 channels for a total of 176 channels. Now lets say that I do not use 16 of those channels in a sequence. It then says that it only mapped(?) 160 channels. I presume that is normal? Otherwise I am happy with the conversion messages I am getting now.

Thanks Gents for your words of encouragement. Just took this German with thick head a bit longer to get the gist of it all.

Ray