Author Topic: Has anyone set up their entire display with just PiHats?  (Read 2119 times)

Online dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 96
    • KulpLights.com
Re: Has anyone set up their entire display with just PiHats?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 06:10:12 PM »
Also note that the string configurations on the Beaglebones are MUCH more advanced than the PiHat's at this point.  You can control things like zig-zags, null pixels, brightness, and now gamma correction (gamma correction added today).  Also, each port gets it's own starting channel number and such.   

Offline Bwinter

• Kudos: 10
    • First Show 2016
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 06:33:56 PM »
Also note that the string configurations on the Beaglebones are MUCH more advanced than the PiHat's at this point.  You can control things like zig-zags, null pixels, brightness, and now gamma correction (gamma correction added today).  Also, each port gets it's own starting channel number and such.

I noticed that the PiHat doesnt have discrete start channels for each output. Is that something that can be added in the future?

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 07:53:18 PM »
I'm pretty sure that is not a Pihat issue but an FPP config issue.  But I am not a hardware designer either.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 12:04:22 AM »
I noticed that the PiHat doesnt have discrete start channels for each output. Is that something that can be added in the future?

This will be added in the future.  I have some untested code to add virtual string support on the Pi and BBB string outputs.  That code will also have the ability to select different start channels per Pi string output.
-
Chris

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 09:16:56 AM »
I recently got two of Dan Kulps new 8 port design that also outputs to DMX, Pixelnet or 4-port Differential receivers. The option combinations are crazy. Enough so that I sold my two older F4-B boards.

Don't limit yourself to just Raspberry Pi. The BBB and BBG (and the new BBBwireless) are all supported.

Yes, missed out on those!  Details seem pretty scarce.  Is there a manual or good thread? 

I am a little intimidated by the BBB.  I am only dangerous with pi.  LOL. 
Sam
 Last year's video: https://vimeo.com/150560653

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 02:52:17 PM »

Yes, missed out on those!  Details seem pretty scarce.  Is there a manual or good thread? 

I am a little intimidated by the BBB.  I am only dangerous with pi.  LOL.

There is no actual manual (specifically for Dan's F8B+), but all the data, design, troubleshooting and operating specs are in this thread:

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,7210.0.html

Online dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 96
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 03:46:44 PM »

Once the FPP image is up and running, it's really no difference than FPP on the Pi.   There is an extra "BBB" tab which is where you would configure the various string parameters for the F#-B based controllers, but that's very straight forward.

The issue is getting the image up and running on the BBB as that is a bit different.   That said, my new images make it easier (IMO, YMMV).   I came up with some instructions in the thread:

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,7985.0.html

Oh.. and if anyone is interested, I do have a few F8B and F32B's left.  Now that I have my Christmas show all mapped out and ready and the controllers I'm going to use up and tested, I'm happy to sell them.   They will work fine on everything other than the Beaglebone Green Wireless.

Offline Bwinter

• Kudos: 10
    • First Show 2016
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 03:50:13 PM »

Oh.. and if anyone is interested, I do have a few F8B and F32B's left.  Now that I have my Christmas show all mapped out and ready and the controllers I'm going to use up and tested, I'm happy to sell them.   They will work fine on everything other than the Beaglebone Green Wireless.

Once the season is over, I'll buy a leftover (8 or 32) to play with and start wrapping my head around.

Offline zwiller

• Falcon Beta Team
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2017, 11:14:33 AM »

Once the FPP image is up and running, it's really no difference than FPP on the Pi.   There is an extra "BBB" tab which is where you would configure the various string parameters for the F#-B based controllers, but that's very straight forward.

The issue is getting the image up and running on the BBB as that is a bit different.   That said, my new images make it easier (IMO, YMMV).   I came up with some instructions in the thread:

http://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,7985.0.html

Dan, I wouldn't even be remotely thinking about BBB without those instructions.  Nice job!  I think those will help alot of folks.  I have a few of Falcon B boards and basically chickened out.  I think it was a combination of the cold weather and serial issues.  Looks like those have been resolved now.  I have some questions about these but I will post in the main thread to keep it all together...