Author Topic: Traditional lights and controller noob  (Read 1644 times)

Offline pjohnsontsm

• Kudos: 0
Traditional lights and controller noob
« on: November 13, 2017, 08:57:53 PM »
Hello All,

So i am a noob and learning as much as i can and i have decided i will be going with the F16v3 and obviously i cannot change every singles light i have to RGB just yet due to cost and trying to figure out how do i control traditional LED lights with and F16V3?

Offline jhoybs

• Kudos: 5
Re: Traditional lights and controller noob
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 04:47:02 AM »
The F16v3 is a smart RGB pixel controller - it doesn't directly control traditional AC lights.  I started out a few years ago using Lynx Express (LE) AC controllers - the F16v3 can convert sequences (like xLights & Vixen) to DMX to drive my LEs.  If you don't have any pixels, there is really no need for a controller like the F16v3.
Jim H - Muskego, WI
Falcon F16v3, PiCap, FPPs. Lynx Expresses, xLights

Offline Ruppro

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 08:30:35 PM »
You need to look at the Renard controllers, in particular the SS24 or TR24, these will give you 24 channels of on/off dimming for your AC lights. Looks in the Buy/Sell/Trade for used equipment.

If you are dead set on getting a Falcon, you can run the Renard controllers off the Falcon

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Offline drkeeley

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 10:43:38 PM »
Please help another Noob here I have a F16v3 and want to control some of my AC lights I have as well. I keep seeing that a SS24 would be a good option but were can I get One???  thanks

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 11:41:54 AM »
Get a Lynx Express.  There were some for sale in the buy sell section.  It is a very good DMX 16 chan controller.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 12:51:52 PM »
I will be selling a few Lynx Express controllers very soon. I have 2-3 that have never been used they were backup. Also a few that I used for 2-3 years with cords & wireless.
Mike

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 04:06:06 PM »
Yes, the LYNX Expresses are the way to go - I think I have like 10 of them. a few spares - they are widely available on here. Let me or the others know.
Denver Colorado
45,000 blinky blinks mix of pixels and 130 AC Channels (powered by Minleon & Lynx) ALL Powered by FPP and Falcon!

Offline Spect3r

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 06:25:47 PM »
 Hello, also a noob here.

This is my first year with RGB lights, but will still have regular AC lights to compliment the mega tree, arches, and snow flakes that I'm building. I would like to have an AC controller just to turn off the AC lights in the section of the house that will have the RGB display. Is the Lynx Express mentioned here the best solution for something like that? If so, anyone have one they want to sell?
Thanks

Offline JimJingle

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 09:50:54 PM »
I am trying to get the GPIO-595 Output setup.  In version 18 the GPIO-595 has a secondary drop down selection of pins 17-18-27.  After updating to version 2.2 the secondary option is no longer available and the save button just removes the selection.  Is there another method for adding GPIO-595 in the later versions? I am using a raspberry pi 3 model B.  Thank you.