Author Topic: Getting DMX out of RJ45 port to DMX PAR Lights  (Read 729 times)

Offline BigGreen619

• Kudos: 0
Getting DMX out of RJ45 port to DMX PAR Lights
« on: November 20, 2017, 07:46:43 PM »
Hello,

Let me start off by saying how helpful this forum has been in setting up my pi/picap and getting it going. I've got my picap setup with 131 pixels in a 6 ring wreath going out the first output. This part of the build and set up went very easy and worked exactly like expected. (happy days  :D [size=78%]). [/size]

I have 4 Talent 64 Slim PAR RGB LED lights that are DMX controlled. They work fine on their own and I have a separate controller for them so I know they work. I was wanting to include these lights in my light show and for when I conduct my concerts with my high school orchestra group. The reason being is that with X lights I can have precise control of the lights so I can have a click track run to my ear and have the lights coordinate with the performance, with my other system I have to trigger scenes manually and I can't time lights to a click track.

So this brings me to my question or at least a verification of my understanding of the DMX output on the picap. When I connect my RGB LED PAR light to the picap via a dmx to ethernet dongle and I run the FPP test sequence the light will turn on, but not in the expected RGB test pattern. I understand that the DMX signal is wrapped in the E1.31 format, do I need something in-between my stage light and the picap to decode the E1.31 signal and send a pure dmx signal? Or am I missing something else?

Thank you for the help in understanding this part of the picap!

-Greg

Offline shane1234

Re: Getting DMX out of RJ45 port to DMX PAR Lights
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 05:38:43 PM »
Did you ever get this figured out? I'm trying to connect a generic 30 channel DMX controller to the DMX output, and it's spazzing out.

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 180
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 06:04:00 PM »
Did you ever get this figured out? I'm trying to connect a generic 30 channel DMX controller to the DMX output, and it's spazzing out.

How do you have the DMX output setup on the FPP Channel Outputs screen?  Are you using DMX Open or Pro?  You should be using Open and setting the serial port to ttyAMA0
-
Chris

Offline BigGreen619

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 06:35:10 PM »
I have not been able to figure this one out. Now that I'm getting all my stuff out again I tried again and had the same issue where it was spazzing. I saw an interesting idea on another post where you just give the light you want to control a single strand with a single node. Later tonight or tomorrow I will try it out to see if it works.

Shane1234 I don't know if putting another controller in the chain will do any good. Essentially you have the local which is a DMV controller and having it send signal to another controller. Sounds like too many cooks in the kitchen. There are videos of taking cat5 cable to three pin dmx plugs so you can daisychain your dmx lights together.

Offline BigGreen619

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 03:35:44 PM »
Ok so I got the DMX light to turn on, but I only get Green and Red LEDs to turn on. I have it set to channel 1 and xlights is sending a white, Red, Green, Blue signal to test out all the lights. When I set the DMX light to channel 2 I get all red, but they don't turn off when Green or blue leds are supposed to be on. Also when the signal is stopped the DMX lights stay on.

I would like to get this to working but I am happy to just have my pixels working. I've tried the DMXpro and DMXopen, both have the same results. My DMX lights only show signal when set to ttyS0 rather than the ttyAMA0. So I'm not sure if its my DMX lights, the RJ45 adaptor crossing some wires. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.