Author Topic: PocketScroller...  (Read 7561 times)

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 96
    • KulpLights.com
Re: PocketScroller...
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 05:23:19 PM »

Oh ... and grab the latest "master-alpha"  image.  I have a bunch of updates for the matrix code there that may already help, particularly for the pocketscroller. 

Offline Cjaqua

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 06:13:28 PM »
Can you try (temporarily for testing) setting the panel in the lower left to O3/P12 (or P14), restarting, and see if the ghosting goes away?   If so, try lowering it down step by step till the ghosting appears.   Let me know how it turns out.    If a higher panel count makes the ghosting go away, I can increase the delays a bit.

O3/P12 made the ghosting/trailing less bright but didn't make it go away in the dark. The white pixel flickers on O3/P12. I tried last night to get master-alpha working but ran into issues getting fppd to run in bridge mode and was unable to save changes made to the led panel configuration. I will try master-alpha again tomorrow and report back. Thanks for the help.

Offline dkulp

• KulpLights.com
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 06:36:31 PM »

O3/P12 made the ghosting/trailing less bright but didn't make it go away in the dark. The white pixel flickers on O3/P12. I tried last night to get master-alpha working but ran into issues getting fppd to run in bridge mode and was unable to save changes made to the led panel configuration. I will try master-alpha again tomorrow and report back. Thanks for the help.

I'll probably build a new image tomorrow that incorporates some of the other fixes (php timeout settings, etc...)  If you can, it might be best to wait for that.

Offline Cjaqua

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 07:00:53 PM »
I'll probably build a new image tomorrow that incorporates some of the other fixes (php timeout settings, etc...)  If you can, it might be best to wait for that.
Sounds good. Will do.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 07:38:11 PM »
I tried last night to get master-alpha working but ran into issues getting fppd to run in bridge mode and was unable to save changes made to the led panel configuration.

If you run into issues, I would always try going to the About page and running a manual update to check for any fixes/changes.  I fixed the issue with the LED panel config yesterday evening, but maybe it was after you were trying.
-
Chris

Offline dkulp

• KulpLights.com
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2018, 07:38:53 AM »

New "master-alpha" image is up at http://dankulp.com/bbb .   Can you give that a try.  Retry the various panel length settings to see if the ghosting goes away.  Let me know if anything works.

Next thing to try to help determine issues:   in xLights, set the color to full white, see if it ghosts.   Change color to "128/128/128" (hex 0x808080), then 64 (hex 0x404040), etc... to try and see which "bit" (or all) is causing issues.  (My gut feeling is that it's either the 0x808080 case or the 0x010101 case, most of the ghosting I've seen is the latter, but since the row is only set on the first case, I can see that being an issue as well)

How good are you with a Linux command line?   If I send various patch files, would you know how to apply them?

Offline Cjaqua

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2018, 07:53:22 AM »

New "master-alpha" image is up at http://dankulp.com/bbb .   Can you give that a try.  Retry the various panel length settings to see if the ghosting goes away.  Let me know if anything works.

Next thing to try to help determine issues:   in xLights, set the color to full white, see if it ghosts.   Change color to "128/128/128" (hex 0x808080), then 64 (hex 0x404040), etc... to try and see which "bit" (or all) is causing issues.  (My gut feeling is that it's either the 0x808080 case or the 0x010101 case, most of the ghosting I've seen is the latter, but since the row is only set on the first case, I can see that being an issue as well)

How good are you with a Linux command line?   If I send various patch files, would you know how to apply them?

Cool. I will try the new image after I get off work today. I am good on a Linux command line and have recompiled fpp before so go ahead and send the patch files. It will be nice to get to the bottom of what might be causing the ghosting on these panels.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 10:28:06 AM by Cjaqua »

Offline Cjaqua

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2018, 05:06:44 PM »

No luck eliminating the ghosting using master-alpha and adjusting the panel lengths . I also see the ghosting on 128/128/128, 64/64/64, 32/32/32, 16/16/16, 8/8/8, 4/4/4, 2/2/2, 1/1/1. Let me know if you have anything else to try.

Offline dkulp

• KulpLights.com
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2018, 05:24:58 PM »

No luck eliminating the ghosting using master-alpha and adjusting the panel lengths . I also see the ghosting on 128/128/128, 64/64/64, 32/32/32, 16/16/16, 8/8/8, 4/4/4, 2/2/2, 1/1/1. Let me know if you have anything else to try.

Wow.   If it ghosts on all of them AND with the Linsn/ColorLight setups, it really sounds like a panel hardware issue.   I'm not sure what to suggest at this point.   Drop the voltage down to 4.8 or so maybe, but other than that, I'm at a loss.    I was hoping one of the color levels or panel lengths or something wouldn't have the ghosting issue which we could use as a base to start with. 

If you want to experiment some, in the /opt/fpp/src/pru/PocketScrollerV1.hp file, in the DISPLAY_ON and DISPLAY_OFF macros, you could TRY adding a line like "SLEEPNS 200, r17"  (adjust the 200) before and/or after the  SET/CLR line that is in there.    You just need to restart FPPD after editing that file as it's re-compiled when fppd starts.     Possibly at the end of LATCH_HI as well.     

That said, I'm not expecting positive results.  It sounds like a panel issue.  :(

Offline Cjaqua

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2018, 06:08:16 PM »
Wow.   If it ghosts on all of them AND with the Linsn/ColorLight setups, it really sounds like a panel hardware issue.   I'm not sure what to suggest at this point.   Drop the voltage down to 4.8 or so maybe, but other than that, I'm at a loss.    I was hoping one of the color levels or panel lengths or something wouldn't have the ghosting issue which we could use as a base to start with. 

If you want to experiment some, in the /opt/fpp/src/pru/PocketScrollerV1.hp file, in the DISPLAY_ON and DISPLAY_OFF macros, you could TRY adding a line like "SLEEPNS 200, r17"  (adjust the 200) before and/or after the  SET/CLR line that is in there.    You just need to restart FPPD after editing that file as it's re-compiled when fppd starts.     Possibly at the end of LATCH_HI as well.     

That said, I'm not expecting positive results.  It sounds like a panel issue.  :(
Yeah. It's gotta be a panel or voltage issue. More likely a panel issue though. The P5 SMD3528 panels from Coreman and Ray look very similar except for the screw hole location on the back. Ray even provided me the RCG file for the panels I bought from him but no luck with those settings or any other combination I dialed up in LedStudio. I am thinking most people light up all the pixels when using these panels and they work just fine for that purpose. I will try dialing down the voltage and purchasing some panels from other suppliers. Thanks for the help!

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2018, 08:25:33 PM »
Not sure if you define ghosting as I do, but when I upgraded a 2x2 P10 panel to P5s, I also upgraded my Pi Zero to Pi3......The P5 & Pi3 were ghosting.  Didnt have spare panels, so I switched my Pi to a Pi 2B and no ghosting.  Also tried the Pi Zero and no ghosting.  Im thinking, before you buy more panels, maybe you can borrow a Pi 2b or or Zero and a Matrix board to test the panels you have.

Offline Cjaqua

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2018, 04:46:52 AM »
Not sure if you define ghosting as I do, but when I upgraded a 2x2 P10 panel to P5s, I also upgraded my Pi Zero to Pi3......The P5 & Pi3 were ghosting.  Didnt have spare panels, so I switched my Pi to a Pi 2B and no ghosting.  Also tried the Pi Zero and no ghosting.  Im thinking, before you buy more panels, maybe you can borrow a Pi 2b or or Zero and a Matrix board to test the panels you have.

Good idea. What I am considering ghosting/trailing looks exactly like what is described in the Adafruit thread below. When I dial down the refresh rate to about 120Hz, I dont notice the ghosting/trailing in a room with a light on. When I turn off the lights in the room to make it dark, I can see it.

https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=47243
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 06:49:23 AM by Cjaqua »

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 8
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2018, 05:29:55 PM »
Here are sample Pictures of what I refer as GHOSTING.

First picture is the ghosting.  Using a Pi 3 with a Ron's Matrix and P5 Panels, I turn on 12 channels.  Arrows show ghosted pixel lines.  (bottom right 4 pixels are the only ones turned on)

Second picture is the same uSD card with unchanged data.  Removed the Pi 3 and replaced with a Pi Zero, using the same uSD card. - No ghosting.

Third picture is the same as 2 except with 128 channels turned on.  Still no ghosting

Pi Zeros (all), and Pi 2b works for my 2X2 P5's - not sure haw many they can control.

Offline Cjaqua

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2018, 06:46:20 PM »
I think of ghosting as pixels inadverently lighting up in same area of where you are turning some on. For me that has typically been pixels in the same scan column and in a greenish tint. Yours is interesting because the pixels that are inadvertently lighting up are nowhere near the ones that are supposed to be lighting up.

Offline aclarksr

• Kudos: 0
PocketScroller...
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2018, 07:08:37 PM »
Finally found time to work on this. Got the unit assembled and connected one P5 panel for testing. First video is using the FPP test mode. Second video is using bridge mode and xLights. So far I love this thing. Took me a little time to get the FPP configuration worked out. This was a first for me. Using the master alpha image dated 2/22/2018.
https://youtu.be/u48QdXDaQqg
https://youtu.be/WqQr65K5hfI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 07:20:51 PM by aclarksr »