Author Topic: PocketScroller...  (Read 5327 times)

Offline beatlerat

• Kudos: 0
Re: PocketScroller...
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2018, 07:22:44 PM »
I have another question....Can you run a 3 x 2 P5 matrix w/ 1/16 scan with the pocket scroller and pocket beagle?   Thanks.

Online dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 69
« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2018, 07:34:57 PM »
I have another question....Can you run a 3 x 2 P5 matrix w/ 1/16 scan with the pocket scroller and pocket beagle?   Thanks.

Yes.... That's actually my main "outdoor" test case.   My TuneTo sign is 3 P5 panels tall by two wide.   
Dan Kulp

Offline rwthib

« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2018, 10:24:47 AM »
Noobie questions
So got the board.
Any recommendations on powersupply.
I just found out that I am right next to the Meanwell distributor so can get them cheap.
I was thinking the LRS-350-5

Just wire that to power on pocketscroller?
Will that then power the LED?

I have the WiFi and SD, anything else I am missing (other than my led panel and cable)?

Online dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2018, 08:20:37 PM »
I was thinking the LRS-350-5

Just wire that to power on pocketscroller?
Will that then power the LED?

I have the WiFi and SD, anything else I am missing (other than my led panel and cable)?

Lots of folks use the LRS-350-5 so that's a good choice.    Wire that to the PocketScroller is fine.   It won't then power the panels (it might for very low brightness, but really not recommended).  When you get the panels, they will come with power cables that you would then also wire into the LRS-350-5.   

Your missing something to connect the panels together.  That would include mounting screw and connectors.  Boscoyo has connectors, but I personally uses small pieces of plexiglass that I drilled holes in.  Also then missing some way of waterproofing everything.  Some sort of enclosure.   

Offline rwthib

« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2018, 01:08:12 PM »
Just waiting for Panels to arrive
Do I just need to wire Panels to LRS or do I need a something between that and the panels (I see folks using a power distributor).
I think living near mouser is going to be expensive for me.

Let me know of anything else from there you think I should get for this or next project.

Offline rwthib

« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2018, 01:20:52 PM »
So looks like I got things working.

Can one of you share a good test sequence for 4X1 P10?

I did my old school test of hello world.
First mistake was I forgot to change drop down so I ordered 8 6" cables. Thus the 4X1 setup

https://youtu.be/WG241rgW_30
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 07:33:58 PM by rwthib »

Offline beatlerat

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2018, 05:13:52 PM »

Three options:
1) Use a USB hub so you can have both wired and wireless USB things plugged in

2) Unplug from external power (the terminal screws on pocket scroller) and plug a micro-USB cable (cell phone cable?) from the small port right on the PocketBeagle to your computer.   Open browser to 192.168.7.2 (windows) or 192.168.6.2 (Mac) and configure.

3) Manually create a interface.wlan0 file:
Code: [Select]
fpp@FPPPB:~/media/config$ cat interface.wlan0
INTERFACE=wlan0
PROTO=dhcp
SSID='KULPYARD'
PSK='12345abcd'
Need a little help to start.  Downloaded 20180313 and put the image on a SDcard using WIN32 Disk Imager.  Does this need to be powered up from the pocket scroller board first, or can it be plugged straight into the Pocket beagle from the computer.  I have a solid blue light and no connection to the computer through the USB.  Thanks.

EDIT:  Went back to 0311, as there was nothing on the disk using 0313.  Seems to be booting now.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 08:58:08 PM by beatlerat »

Offline TxBillbr

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2018, 05:19:18 PM »
Sortof a noob question.... How do we hand-out kudos? Dan's PB project has been truly awesome and I know there was a LOT of work done. Getting my F8B+PBs running  and my PB scroller rolling was a smooth operation (once I ran out an got a wired usb ethernet). Huge Kudos to Dan!

Edit: Just as a side note, I have been working on a Google doc manual for the F8B+PB.  I have the startup walk-thru pretty well fleshed out, but now need to add  troubleshooting and expansions section. I'll be reaching out on some of the DMX stuff because I personally do not have any DMX gear to do the doc against. If you want to peruse and kibitz (or maybe even assist), PM me and I add you to the shared list.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 05:28:26 PM by TxBillbr »

Offline Keebler

• Kudos: 1
    • Keebler Christmas
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2018, 02:58:41 AM »
so where does one get a pocket scroller?these look ideal for a project i'm working on

Online dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2018, 05:24:19 AM »
so where does one get a pocket scroller?these look ideal for a project i'm working on

Officially, I have a tindie store with the PocketScroller and F8-PB (I need to add the F8-B):

https://www.tindie.com/stores/dkulp/

That said, Tindie takes a pretty large % so prices are a bit higher there than if you just contact me directly. 

Offline beatlerat

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2018, 12:11:19 PM »
Dan, should we be loading the image from your site for the Pocket scroller (and F8-PB), or using the new v2.x master?  Still doing testing, but at some point I will go with the latest version that is working with the RPi (FPP).  Thanks.

Online dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2018, 12:43:28 PM »

I would recommend the latest "BBB-ext4" image from my site: http://dankulp.com/bbb/ and then force a manual update.

Online pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 34
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2018, 12:45:46 PM »

I would recommend the latest "BBB-ext4" image from my site: http://dankulp.com/bbb/ and then force a manual update.

Any reason for not recommending the "BBB-btrfs" image for the PocketBeagles?  Seems like the perfect use case.  I've been playing with it on all my PB's and not found any major problems.
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / homemade controllers for everything else

Online dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2018, 12:53:22 PM »

Any reason for not recommending the "BBB-btrfs" image for the PocketBeagles?  Seems like the perfect use case.  I've been playing with it on all my PB's and not found any major problems.

No real reason... I haven't tested it nearly as much as I'd like.   One of the issues I had with it was the amount of CPU that was required to uncompress the sequences, particularly for large channel counts.   However, I think part of that was fixed yesterday with the fadvise updates.  If running a large matrix AND btrfs, I wasn't sure if there was enough CPU horsepower on the single core BBB to handle it all.

Offline TxBillbr

« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2018, 04:56:17 PM »
Sortof a noob question.... How do we hand-out kudos? Dan's PB project has been truly awesome and I know there was a LOT of work done. Getting my F8B+PBs running  and my PB scroller rolling was a smooth operation (once I ran out an got a wired usb ethernet). Huge Kudos to Dan!

Edit: Just as a side note, I have been working on a Google doc manual for the F8B+PB.  I have the startup walk-thru pretty well fleshed out, but now need to add  troubleshooting and expansions section. I'll be reaching out on some of the DMX stuff because I personally do not have any DMX gear to do the doc against. If you want to peruse and kibitz (or maybe even assist), PM me and I add you to the shared list.

For those who saw my earlier post, I did get a reasonable running start on the manual, but life got in the way. Dealing with Cancer, but hoping to jump back on the doc soon.