Author Topic: RGB Window frames  (Read 6546 times)

Offline RichM

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 0
RGB Window frames
« on: June 12, 2013, 10:59:36 PM »
Another project utilizing plastic fence rails.  I blame David for originally turning me onto this material.  I've been building with it ever since.
I'm using TM1804 strings with standard spacing from Ray Wu. 
Pictures can say a lot more than words so attached are pictures. ;D

1. Frame only exploded view
2. light string around the outside.  I put 6" extensions between lights around the corners.
3. Frame with the lights run inside the channel.  The C-9 covers keep the lights from going back inside the frame.
4. Completed frame

I'm hoping to make a document on how to build these at some point but for now I will answer any questions people have.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline RichM

• Supporting Member
Re: RGB Window frames
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 11:08:12 PM »
Second group of pictures. ;D

1. Close up of the corner.  Notice the first hole on each side is offset.  This keeps the covers from hitting each other.  The small hole on one side is what the frame hangs from and is only on the top rail.  There is a hook on the house that this fits onto.
2. Close up of corner slightly different angle.  I cut the one piece to interlock with the other to strengthen the corner
3. Front side of corner with lights.  You will notice the first light cover on each side overlaps the other.  I offset the holes for these two so they don't hit each other.
4. Back side of the corner with lights.  The tab of one side interlocks with the other side.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 11:27:36 PM by RichM »

Offline RichM

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 11:19:17 PM »
Last group. :D

1. All my frames are done! (3)-3'x4' windows, (1)-4'x8' window, (1)-7'x16' garage outline.  The garage frame is folded up.  It is too large to store without breaking it down.
2. All the frames in Blue.  I hooked them up to a Falcon-16 controller in test mode.
3. All the frames in White.  Same Falcon-16 controller testing.
4. There is the occasional light that refuses to seat in the hole and pops back out.  For those (about 12 total), I use a rubber band and twist tie to hold it down while the white gorilla glue sets.  It's not popping out again!

Enjoy! ;D

Offline FireMedic4Christ

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 05:11:58 PM »
Is there a slot in the backside to insert the nodes or did you you fish them in one by one?
Brian

Offline danj

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 07:01:05 PM »
Plastic fence rail?  1"x1" or so?  Thanks.

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 07:50:27 PM »
Plastic fence rail?  1"x1" or so?  Thanks.

No. Dave Pitts and Rich bought 16' long , pvc railing from home depot. They then used a table saw to cut it in half.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/a1/a10e0f84-5b74-428c-92bb-880ca80cd093_300.jpg

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-1-1-2-in-x-5-1-2-in-x-8-ft-Vinyl-White-Ranch-Rail-135040/203008796

i used the same material for my yard borders.
Sean
Littleton, CO Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

Offline Skunberg

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 07:51:07 PM »
Fence rail? Where is that from? Is there a sku or part number?
Looks like a bullet proof,  very clean installation. Thank you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline FireMedic4Christ

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 07:52:25 PM »
Is there a slot cut in the backside to insert the nodes or did are they feed in from one end?

Brian

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 04:10:29 AM »
I need to make non-square (aka bay window with two small windows and big window in the middle). Planning on using 3/4" with holes drilled out similar to what I did for the rectangular window frames I made....given that now I'll have 10 sides in total to build and connect together it's going to be interesting to see how it goes together and more interesting to see how it looks like from 30' away on the road. Has anyone done a bay window outline before? Do you do the two inside vertical lines, or just frame the perimeter?
Ryan

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 08:05:13 AM »
Fence rail? Where is that from? Is there a sku or part number?
Looks like a bullet proof,  very clean installation. Thank you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

i think the second link iposted had the sku.

Veranda 1-1/2 in. x 5-1/2 in. x 8 ft. Vinyl White Ranch Rail
Model # 135040 Internet # 203008796
 4.8 out of 5
(9)  Write a Review
$16.97 / each

i think it is 135040.

you find this over next to the lumber department. after cutting them in half (so now you get 32' for $17), i then created a jig with a 3/8" bolt so that i could drill 5/8" holes with a paddle bit (the only bit that doesnt screw up drillin in pvc. i drilled 540 holes. i then glues 540 c9 covers using outdoor cauling. i finally came back and pushed my 1804 lights (special order with 15cm spacing, 16cm would have been better). i then ran duct tape on the back to hold lights in place. i cut the 16' lengths to 10' as per rich's instructions. i put 3 wire connectors on both ends. 
each 10'[ length , with 4" spacing, had 30 nodes on it. i ran 4 of these linked together from one circuit  of a smart hub.
so easy to setup. probably the pvc is uv resistant since it is made to be outdoor fencing used for the entire year.

this idea of using this pvc fencing material originally came from dave pitts.

worked awesome.

Offline Kevin

• Administrator
    • Colorado Christmas
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 09:02:06 AM »
Is there a slot cut in the backside to insert the nodes or did are they feed in from one end?

Brian

When cut in half, there is still a plastic boarder between the open bottom and the top (where the holes are drilled to place the lights).
I used a 15mm spade bit to cut the top holes where the lights are inserted.  15mm Is the size required to make the c9 covers snap into the hole tight.  They fit snug.

For the plastic divider in the middle of the railing I used a 1" spade bit and drilled a hole directly under the top hole to assist me in threading the bulbs.  a Coat Hanger and long needle nose pliers do the trick.  With standard bulb spacing the string must be threaded above the plastic divider and the top of the railing.

-------------------------
Kevin
Colorado Christmas

Offline RichM

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 06:57:11 PM »
Brian,  I fished them through one by one.  I fished the nodes through each section before screwing all the sections together.  The only holes are where the nodes come out (there is no slot).  This reduces the chance of water getting in and I think the frame is a little stronger this way.  I used needle nose pliers to pull them out through the hole, then I placed the C-9 cover over the node and snapped the cover in the hole.   Most nodes fit snug in the cover but you might need a touch of glue if the cover is loose so the node doesn't slip back into the frame.

Kevin and Sean are describing how we made the yard borders that are slightly different in construction but use the same fence railing.

Rich

Offline RichM

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 07:18:15 PM »
drlucas,  I used a 4 foot by 8 foot frame to go around my bay window (as pictured below).  You can make a more complex structure with inside vertical lines but that's a lot more work.  I would do inside vertical lines if any one side of the frame is longer than 8 feet.  The frame would need the additional strengthening.  As mine is 8 feet, I'm pushing the limits of the framing (it wants to bow in the middle).  However, on mine the bottom rests on the brick ledge and the top is supported in three locations.  One on each end and another in the middle.  I use an L hook in the siding that the frame hooks onto.

Rich

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2014, 06:31:33 PM »
thanks for sharing the picture of the completed item. I have the 3D part to worry abot as the outside windows are angled out. Last season I played around a bit with a projection screen for the inside pane of glass and put in a virtual santa. I'll sleep on this for a few nights and think how I can make this work. For me when my upstairs windows started to sag in the middle, I ended up using a zip tie through the soffit which worked nicely for me...but on the lower level I don't have this luxury with the bay window.

Offline RichM

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2014, 07:02:38 PM »
drlucas, In your situation with the side windows angled out, I would build 3 frames.  2 smaller ones for each side and 1 for the middle.  Then come up with a way to attach the three frames together to keep the gap between them to a minimum.  Perhaps something like the image below for a hinge.  Then you could fold the frames together to lay flat.