Author Topic: RGB Window frames  (Read 6527 times)

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
Re: RGB Window frames
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 04:58:07 AM »

The window from the inside to give an idea of shape.

And my saggy window frames and how I propped them up in the garage...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryan

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2014, 08:32:43 PM »
and the window from outside. The brick on the bottom should help. Guess I'll likely have to use little u clamps to keep it in place on the outside. Was already told I'm not to even scratch the new windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline FireMedic4Christ

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 12:32:36 AM »
Fence rail? Where is that from? Is there a sku or part number?
Looks like a bullet proof,  very clean installation. Thank you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

i think the second link iposted had the sku.

Veranda 1-1/2 in. x 5-1/2 in. x 8 ft. Vinyl White Ranch Rail
Model # 135040 Internet # 203008796
 4.8 out of 5
(9)  Write a Review
$16.97 / each

i think it is 135040.

you find this over next to the lumber department. after cutting them in half (so now you get 32' for $17), i then created a jig with a 3/8" bolt so that i could drill 5/8" holes with a paddle bit (the only bit that doesnt screw up drillin in pvc. i drilled 540 holes. i then glues 540 c9 covers using outdoor cauling. i finally came back and pushed my 1804 lights (special order with 15cm spacing, 16cm would have been better). i then ran duct tape on the back to hold lights in place. i cut the 16' lengths to 10' as per rich's instructions. i put 3 wire connectors on both ends. 
each 10'[ length , with 4" spacing, had 30 nodes on it. i ran 4 of these linked together from one circuit  of a smart hub.
so easy to setup. probably the pvc is uv resistant since it is made to be outdoor fencing used for the entire year.

this idea of using this pvc fencing material originally came from dave pitts.

worked awesome.

Must not be in stock this early in the season yet, lowes only had 8' section and the home depot website has internet order only. I did find something that might work though. PVC downspot that comes in white and brown. It is a little bigger, guessing it was 2" x 3" in 10' sections. Made for outside, so I would assume UV resistant. It was about the same price per section as the fence without having to rip it in half.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 12:38:37 AM by FireMedic4Christ »
Brian

Offline RichM

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 09:52:04 PM »
Those are nice windows.  :)
I had pvc/emt pipe frames when I was using 4 separate colors to outline my windows (R,G,B,W).  To reduce sagging, my horizontal runs were 1/2 inch emt.  While the corners and verticals were 3/4 inch pvc.  To merge the two types together, I used a thin wall (schedule 20) 3/4 inch pvc as a sleeve over the 1/2 emt right at the corner (about an inch long). I just zip tied the lights to the frame (no drilling holes in the pipe).  I used a 1-1/4 inch cup hook that I spread open to hold the 3/4 inch pvc pipe frame.

Does putting hooks in the siding above the window count as scratching?  For storing your frames in the off season, you might try using ladder hooks if you have space on the garage walls.  You can use three ladder hooks with one in the middle so the frame doesn't sag.  That's what I use and one set of hooks can hold several frames.

Offline RichM

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 10:06:14 PM »
Brian,
Lowes never carries the longer rail.  I remember Steve(mms) or Gary(pk) were looking for the longer rail at Home Depot in Denver last year.  Only one store had it and the store was not close to them at all (over 7 miles away).

The advantage of ripping the rail in half is that you get 2 sections.  So 32 linear feet total.  The downspout might be okay for a yard border, but could be bulky for window frames.  If you like the downspout and think it will work for your needs then go for it.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 10:16:09 PM by RichM »

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 9
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 12:24:45 PM »
Another project utilizing plastic fence rails.  I blame David for originally turning me onto this material.  I've been building with it ever since.
I'm using TM1804 strings with standard spacing from Ray Wu. 
Pictures can say a lot more than words so attached are pictures. ;D

1. Frame only exploded view
2. light string around the outside.  I put 6" extensions between lights around the corners.
3. Frame with the lights run inside the channel.  The C-9 covers keep the lights from going back inside the frame.
4. Completed frame

I'm hoping to make a document on how to build these at some point but for now I will answer any questions people have.

What lights did you use?

Pat

Offline RichM

• Supporting Member

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator

Offline RichM

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2015, 11:01:38 PM »
The covers do not snap on.  It is kind of a hit or miss snug fit.  The covers usually stay on most nodes.  The fit seems to vary depending on the batch of lights you get.
Some nodes might be too skinny or loose inside the cover.  I use a small piece of clear duct tape to "thicken" the base of the node diameter.  Then the covers stay on.

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2015, 05:34:30 AM »
The covers do not snap on.  It is kind of a hit or miss snug fit.  The covers usually stay on most nodes.  The fit seems to vary depending on the batch of lights you get.
Some nodes might be too skinny or loose inside the cover.  I use a small piece of clear duct tape to "thicken" the base of the node diameter.  Then the covers stay on.

Thanks

Pat