Author Topic: Power Injection question  (Read 1149 times)

Offline bhensley

• Kudos: 1
    • Brian's Blog Tutorials >>
Power Injection question
« on: December 07, 2017, 06:35:03 PM »
So I have a CAT5 cable going about 40 feet to a small tree of 68 pixels in my front yard, I want to add another tree to the end of that tree ... about another 130 pixels. I need to power inject and i'm stuck. I brought my falcon F16v3 into the house and tried putting a short cable of 12V directly to the larger tree, but left the data line come from the small tree to the large tree, everything worked nicely.

My plan was to use this (arrived today) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MXROQCQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

To bring an extension cord out to the tree display, then power inject the larger tree. Tried it out on an unused port on my falcon controller first with just a 50 node set of lights.... this was the problem. Regardless of if i'm sending a test sequence or when I am not, I get lights turned on regardless and they're the wrong set of colors. And when I take a DMM from the negative line of the transformer to the ground of my controller i get about 5V DC differential. So i'm under the impression the transformer isn't to the same ground potential that my controller is... does anyone know of a good fix? can I simply connect my transformer negative to my controller ground? or will that drive voltage to my controller and damage it?
Cheers, Brian

Offline bhensley

Re: Power Injection question
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 06:56:02 PM »
Nevermind figured it out :)  ... connected my negative on my transformer to the ground line, and 'didn't' connect the positive lines.

Offline jhoybs

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 07:12:21 AM »
Yep, that's right.  Also know that you will only be able to go a foot or two between your trees - pixels can't be separated by much of a distance.  If you need more, you'll need a data amplifier like a uAmp or some null pixels between trees.
Jim H.
Muskego, WI
Falcon F16v3, PiCap, FPPs. Lynx Expresses, xLights

Offline bhensley

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 03:39:38 PM »
Yep, that's right.  Also know that you will only be able to go a foot or two between your trees - pixels can't be separated by much of a distance.  If you need more, you'll need a data amplifier like a uAmp or some null pixels between trees.

I can get 3-4 feet between them. But the main problem I still have is I can't handle whites. They flicker... even though I'm power injecting at the beginning and end of the 130 pixel large tree and when I check the voltage i'm still seeing ~12.2V. So i'm at a lost as to why certain colors look fine, but when more current is pulled they flicker.

Actually both trees flicker on white... and i'm running a CAT5 cable about 40 ft. of the 8 wires in the ethernet line 3 are power, 3 are ground and 2 are data to the small tree. then from the top of the small tree i'm running CAT5 to the large tree for data and ground.

Here's my light show... for my first year  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKvZOagyjqg

Offline drm1963

• Kudos: 4
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 02:08:49 PM »
What I did to clear up any issues with WHITE and flickering was to go into the controller and turn down the brightness as far as I could go and still get the same effect I was looking for. Very bright can be good but the effect with the setting as low as 10% can be very much appreciated by all except the men viewing the effects from the ISS.

Try going into your hardware and turning the brightness down to75%, or 50%, then 25% and even try 10%. I do think you will be surprised!

Offline jhoybs

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 04:28:57 AM »
Where are you measuring that voltage?  The voltage drops along the wire, the power supply output will always be higher than the farthest point from the supply.  If you can crank the brightness down and it fixes your flickering, you definitely have a power issue.  If you can live with the reduced brightness, then you are OK, but if not, you need to beef up your feed wires or power inject more often.

CAT5/6 is great for sending data long distances, but it is a poor power conductor.  You will get less voltage drop from a single 18 gauge wire than using 3 pairs within a CAT5/6.  http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html

Offline mklabunde

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 11:43:21 AM »

I can get 3-4 feet between them. But the main problem I still have is I can't handle whites. They flicker... even though I'm power injecting at the beginning and end of the 130 pixel large tree and when I check the voltage i'm still seeing ~12.2V. So i'm at a lost as to why certain colors look fine, but when more current is pulled they flicker.

Actually both trees flicker on white... and i'm running a CAT5 cable about 40 ft. of the 8 wires in the ethernet line 3 are power, 3 are ground and 2 are data to the small tree. then from the top of the small tree i'm running CAT5 to the large tree for data and ground.

Here's my light show... for my first year  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKvZOagyjqg

you know that CAT5 cable is 26 gauge and voltage drops on small wires I would try running some 18 gauge wire to your first tree and see what happens.  Also on the second tree that you are power injecting you just have the data and ground hooked up and are taking the positive from the new power supply to the new tree correct.  You never want to hook the + wire up if the new power supply is running at a higher voltage you will back feed and all kinds of bad things can happen. 

Mark

Online vipersinu2

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 07:17:05 AM »
You can go many feet from your last pixel. My arches are separated by 25' driveway, I use twisted pair bell wire to carry the data and ground

on my roof I go 125' of data with that bell wire back to the F16v3

your flickering my be is that your power supply from amazon is only 80w. that is really small not even enough to run one strand. its 6.666amps. remember you should run power supplies at 60% of there capabilities.

Dave showed me this web site, they send free overnight shipping on power supplies
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/lrs-350-12/mean-well-enterprises
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 07:33:45 AM by vipersinu2 »

Offline MrTeaIOT

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 07:03:26 AM »
Can you show link to buy this twisted bell wire?  What gauge and pure copper?  Does it comes with 1 pairs each run?
As for the power supply I can get cheaper at Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XJVYDDW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but not the same brand.  I have been use it so far it's fine.