Author Topic: DMX Spinning Head + PiCap  (Read 1351 times)

Offline sth2258

• Kudos: 0
DMX Spinning Head + PiCap
« on: December 08, 2017, 04:16:46 PM »
Hi Gents,
Need some help setting up a new DMX spinning light on a PiCap. I followed the below guide to create an ethernet -> XLR cable, and purchased a spinning light from Amazon (link also below).

Inside FPP (the one with the PiCap), I enabled a DMX output but am not able to get any lights to work; either through FPP or Xlights.
Any thoughts on where I am failing?

https://stevenbreuls.com/2014/03/diy-usb-dmx-controller-for-under-10_2_ethernet_cable/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073PBHGYJ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
Re: DMX Spinning Head + PiCap
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 12:12:54 AM »
His wiring looks correct, but he did number his pins wrong.  DMX data is on pins 1-2 which are what he has labeled as 7-8.

https://eventhorizon-srv.com/ecommerce/os/catalog/images/options/full/RJ-45_PinoutB_full.jpg

Did you create an OpenDMX Channel Output on the FPP Channel Outputs page?

If you are on the correct pins, you might want to try reversing your +/- pins to see if that fixes the issue.
-
Chris

Offline sth2258

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 07:50:59 AM »
Thanks for the reply Cap.

I used T-568B on the RJ45 end (tab down):
W/O
O
W/G
B
W/B
G
W/Br
Br

On the XLR end:
1 - W/O
2 - O
3 - W/Br

On FPP - I setup DMX Open; Start Ch 970 (I have 969 channels of pixels connected to the PiCap), 11 channels (as setup on the device) and tried both ports (ttyAMA0 and ttyS0).

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2017, 12:04:43 PM »
Check out this diagram, does  yours match?

http://www.halloweenforum.com/attachments/tutorials-and-step-by-step/112609-diy-dmx-contrlled-rgb-led-light-step-11.jpg

For the PiCap, you want ttyAMA0, that is the onboard serial port

Offline Zimerhonzl

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 08:14:53 AM »
Slightly out dated topic, but trying to streamline threads for future reference.
I followed the final diagram listed on the thread with no luck (this appears to be the Color Kinetics Standard), I have also tried the ESTA standard which switches the +/- wiring.  In both instances I am using port ttyAMA0 and my devices show that no DMX signal is being sent.  If I bypass the PiCap and use a Enttec DMX USB PRO Mk2 (port USB0), everything works fine.  The PiCap connectors are set to DMX, not LOR or REN.  Is there something else I am missing?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 08:54:49 AM »
Slightly out dated topic, but trying to streamline threads for future reference.
I followed the final diagram listed on the thread with no luck (this appears to be the Color Kinetics Standard), I have also tried the ESTA standard which switches the +/- wiring.  In both instances I am using port ttyAMA0 and my devices show that no DMX signal is being sent.  If I bypass the PiCap and use a Enttec DMX USB PRO Mk2 (port USB0), everything works fine.  The PiCap connectors are set to DMX, not LOR or REN.  Is there something else I am missing?

If you have not checked the "Always transmit channel data" setting on the FPP settings page, then FPP will only send channel data when playing a sequence or have channel test mode enabled.  Were you playing a sequence when checking the different wiring connections?

Offline Zimerhonzl

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 11:59:22 AM »
Yes, I saw that in another thread and had it checked (sorry forgot to mention).  I am also running a sequence with constant fades to make sure the data always changes.  No luck using the built-in FPP display testing either.

Both the sequence and tests work with the Enttec device, even without the 'always transmit' checked, that's why I was wondering if there was something specific on the PiCap.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 12:19:00 PM »
What version of FPP are you using?  I recently tested both Pixelnet and DMX output on the PiCap with the FPP v2.x image and confirmed they are working correctly.

I believe the Enttec device always transmits even if it is not receiving data on the USB side because the Enttec is a smart device with an IC to convert the incoming USB data to the DMX protocol on the ouput.  The PiCap connects the Pi's serial port to the RJ45 via a RS485 IC, so FPP has the responsibility of always transmitting DMX data.

Offline Zimerhonzl

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 12:31:00 PM »
I am using FPP 2.6.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 12:51:14 PM »
And you are using the "DMX-Open" Channel Output with the PiCap?

Offline Zimerhonzl

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 01:48:17 PM »
That is correct!

Offline Zimerhonzl

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 01:46:38 PM »
So, in line with my other thread, I re-flashed with a fresh copy of FPP 2.5.3.  My PiCap is now sending DMX and I am getting the original poster's issue of constant white lights.  I have flipped pins 1&2 and get the constant white still.  The image posted from the Halloween forum does not specify the ground, so I have used G/W per typical RJ45/XLR3 standards.  Any thoughts?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 03:00:48 PM »
So, in line with my other thread, I re-flashed with a fresh copy of FPP 2.5.3.  My PiCap is now sending DMX and I am getting the original poster's issue of constant white lights.  I have flipped pins 1&2 and get the constant white still.  The image posted from the Halloween forum does not specify the ground, so I have used G/W per typical RJ45/XLR3 standards.  Any thoughts?

What is "G/W"?  Green/White-green?

Offline Zimerhonzl

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 04:24:28 PM »
Green with white stripe.  Pin 3 on T-568B

Offline Zimerhonzl

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 05:30:14 PM »
I am wondering if it is an issue with the PiCap itself.  Even if I have all outputs disabled in FPP the light style runs.  After blocking some of the lights so I could look closer, it actually looks like the white is staying on and the RGB are quickly cycling.  This starts as soon as I connect to the PiCap DMX event if I have display testing off and/or all channel outputs disabled.  :(