Author Topic: Light Displays for the Academy  (Read 1886 times)

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
Light Displays for the Academy
« on: April 05, 2014, 03:57:39 PM »
I thought i should start a new thread.

For my talks on xlights/nutcracker and the followup talk on the pi player it would be nice to have some rgb displays that can be used for show and tell.

Jon Back has said he will be bringing up to (32) 2m flex strips and falcon-16's to drive them.
I hope to get CombustionMark to bring his 18 strand ball and his small matrix.

Anyone else plan on bringing lights? Capt Murdoch will be demoing his master slave pi setup. it would be nice to have at least two sets of lights for it.
Sean
Littleton, CO Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

Offline danj

• Kudos: 1
Re: Light Displays for the Academy
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 08:08:53 PM »
Sean:
Do you know what day you will be presenting at the academy?  I want to go, but I would like to limit it to one day if possible.
Thanks!

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 08:55:08 PM »
Sean, I would certainly look at some pixicles, either in the up down spaced with a rubber hose at the bottom, or the strips that are spliced together.  Some people might not realize what you can do with them, scrolling text across the eaves, the dripping, meteor, and I suppose a whole lot more i have not figured out yet.

Alsp JCMark took the porcupine ball and made loops instead of spikes, it is pretty cool and could use a different type of model!

Alan

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 68
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 12:00:01 PM »
I might be able to fit my 180 pixel tree in the van, but it will depend on how many folks are coming with me.  It is 8 strings / 16 strands of TM1804.  I have not registered yet although I plan to attend.  At my age, registering for stuff like the academy to far in advance can be like gambling.  I won't commit until late May or early June.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 09:09:09 AM »
Since some of us are driving and not flying to the Academy are there things that the presenters could use that we might be able to bring?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 09:58:29 AM »
Since some of us are driving and not flying to the Academy are there things that the presenters could use that we might be able to bring?

Thanks, I think we're finalizing all the details now.  If you have a Pi mounted in an enclosure with a FPD or other device, that might be good to display in the class and booth area.  I think that Dave/Tony/Sean/JonB are working out the light displays, so I'll have to let them comment further.  I believe we are also good on other standard Pi related hardware other than just show-n-tell type things.
-
Chris

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 11:04:38 AM »
i will be bringing
cg-1500 with
pi player
fpd
edm
behringer mixer

falcon-16 in cg-1500 case

10 rolls of ws2811 flex cables , 12v. they all have the 3 pin connectors wired as described on DLA

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 11:03:17 AM »
gonna have to think of something else - my panels that I had after I drilled them out - started becomming brittle and cracking - the bullet nodes will no longer stay in.

Anyone else have any quick ideas - it was gonna be 4 interlocking panels 2 feet high x 1 foot wide

Tony

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 11:41:06 AM »
I have seen a panel made from ceiling light grid using nodes.  Looked pretty good.

Offline MyKroFt

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 11:50:44 AM »
hmm.. will have to check the hardware store tomorrow - nothing is open here on Sundays :(

Tony

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 08:07:04 PM »
I have seen a panel made from ceiling light grid using nodes.  Looked pretty good.

Now that could be interesting.  I wonder how well the flat-back square pixels fit into the holes.  That might be better than my two cardboard boxes each holding a 10x10 matrix.  I've been wanting to play with video playback via the memory map interface in FPP and a 10x10 wasn't going to cut it too well, but I have 400 of these flat-back pixels I could use in a 2x4 ceiling grid panel hanging in my office. :)

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 12:10:14 AM »
Any chance there are pictures?
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline jnealand

• Developer
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 07:37:36 AM »
I don't have any pictures, but the nodes hold pretty well and are pushed in from the back.  It was built by Doug Delong and is owned by Andy Harrison,  both in Tennessee near Cleveland.  They both hang around in DIYC although I think Andy joined here a couple of months back.