Author Topic: Pi Player Single DMX?  (Read 11804 times)

Offline Materdaddy

• Developer
  • Kudos: 10
    • Christmas On Quiet Hills
Re: Pi Player Single DMX?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 03:30:30 PM »
So my post of things I tried last night was basically what you did in the other thread.  I could get the drivers to install, but could not get FT_prog to write to it.  The "new" fix I linked to a little while ago does work, which is to install an old driver.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2014, 04:46:29 PM »
I have the 2.12.0 driver on my Win8 64 pc. I'll see if I can roll it back.

Ok.  I'm back to 2.8.30 (7/12/2013)

Offline Materdaddy

• Developer
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 04:54:49 PM »
From reading on some of the forums is that on anything other than winXP, the driver will update itself via Windows Update and you'll be back to 2.12.0.

I don't use windows except for sequencing software, and I've barely used anything past XP (I now have a win7 VM) and don't know if you can somehow disable automatic updates, or keep leaving behind the FTDI driver update.

Good luck!

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 05:07:13 PM »
Is "PID 0" the same as "System Idle Process?"

I'm familiar with that PID.

Offline Materdaddy

• Developer
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 05:11:02 PM »
Is "PID 0" the same as "System Idle Process?"

I'm familiar with that PID.

Ha!

It's the USB's product ID.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 09:13:01 PM »
If FTDI's new driver is deciding that these devices have fake chips and is then bricking these devices then that is practically vandalism and destruction of property and should be addressed.  The consumer is not aware that they purchased a device that might have a fake chip in it.  Is there any proof other than the fact that the driver has bricked it?  The phrase "Judge, Jury, and Executioner" comes to mind.

I'll see about mine when they get here, I have a few windows VMs and a physical XP machine, so i can run some tests against those.
-
Chris

Offline Materdaddy

• Developer
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 09:42:28 PM »
The vandalism angle is what a lot of people are talking about on other forums.  Another big one is punishment of the end-user/consumer rather than suppliers and counterfeit manufacturers.  Like you said, as a user we aren't aware other than the bricking of the devices.  They don't even brick it in a way that's relatively known to the user, it simply stops working and I only figured it out from some googling and noticing the PID set to all 0s.

I would have noticed soon though because a similar thing was posted on DIYC, as well as a developer mailing list for ham radio programming software I use.  This is a relatively far reaching pandora's box FTDI did here.

I can successfully resurrect these devices using my XP VM, and even was able to resurrect it in Win7, however I simply installed the old driver and fixed it before the driver auto-updated via Windows Update.  I also was unsuccessful in getting a udev rule on my Debian machine to get a "bricked" one working as expected.  I'm still going to play with this a little longer so we can potentially still support these for our users in our default image.

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 09:36:43 AM »
I tried to program the chip using FT_Prog with just the drivers manually installed. (PID is still 0000), and it doesn't work, but then again, that is no surprise as it's (what I now know) a counterfit chip, and have no expectation that FTDI tools or drivers would work with these devices from this point on.

I do have an opinion on the subject, but don't think it benefits this thread or forum.  It would be better to take things into our own hands though, and find an adapter that does use a genuine chip, or find another reliable adapter for use.  I'm going to try both of these devices:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CPLOVW/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687782&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B009SIDMNM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=158DVC5D1P0KYD6YG89F

and this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SIDMNM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'd like to see how they work with the Renzilla minirenSISO, and also with the FPP.

Offline Materdaddy

• Developer
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 10:18:57 AM »
You have to have the old driver, not a manually installed driver to get it to work with FT_Prog.

My setup that works in Windows 7:
2.12.00 driver installed
2.8.30 driver with ".inf" file edited for PID 0000 manually installed

When I plug in a counterfeit the first time, it is picked up by the 2.12.00 driver and works until I unplug it because the driver sets the PID to 0, but doesn't force a USB reset, so the system still thinks it's got a PID of 6001.
If I re-plug the board in, it gets picked up by the 2.8.30 driver that's edited for PID 0000 that I manually installed.  I can write to the device, including using FT_Prog or the arduino IDE, or other tools.

This setup seems to work and I think that the manually installed 2.8.30 driver will not get blown away by Windows Update because when you manually update it, the driver is no longer signed and probably doesn't match a signature to be updated in the Windows Update driver database.  So far this setup seems to be working, although it's only been a day.

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2014, 03:58:21 PM »
You have to have the old driver, not a manually installed driver to get it to work with FT_Prog.
I found you can program using the manually installed driver, it just needs to have the PID programed back to FTDI Default (PID 6001) using FT_Prog before doing anything else.

I'd summarize it two ways, based on what a person wants to do with the device containing these chips.

1) If you just want to use (whatever your device is) in Windows, simply install the latest drivers manually.  The PID will be 0000, but it doesn't keep the chip from functioning at all.  Pull it in and out of a USB port and it just works as normal, PID will stay at 0000.

2) If you want to change the I/O settings, or use it in a Pi, you'll need to program the chip using FT_Prog.  You can manually load the newest driver.  Once loaded, the first thing to do is to Start FT_Prog, Scan and Parse, go to USB Device Descriptor and change it to FTDI Default (PID 6001), and program the chip. (This works)  After this is done, anything can be programmed successfully as the PID will be 6001.  Once done, pull the adapter from the USB.  You can install it in the FPP at this point and use it as you'd like.  Rebooting the Pi will not change the PID, and the adapter will function as normal.  If it is re-insterted into a Windows machine at any point (say to change another setting or whatever), it will reinstall the driver successfully, BUT the PID will be reset to 0000.  At this point, you'll want to reprogram the PID again.  If the chip is pulled without re-programming, the next time it is inserted it will fail to install the drivers, so back to installing driver manually...

Materdaddy, when you say you change the .inf file, does the chip keep it's PID, or is the PID 0000?

Offline Materdaddy

• Developer
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2014, 04:03:29 PM »
Materdaddy, when you say you change the .inf file, does the chip keep it's PID, or is the PID 0000?

I edit the PID to be 0000 on the old driver that I manually installed.  The PID does get changed back and forth.

Plug it in, new driver changes it to 0.
Plug it in again, old driver with hacked PID picks up the dongle, you can either leave it alone and everything works, or program it back to 6001 for linux without needing additional changes.

With the changed PID, you don't have to manually install the driver each time it's plugged in since it finds a driver matching VID/PID of the device.

Offline ihbar

• Developer
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2014, 04:13:51 PM »
I have driver 2.10.0 and ft-prog 2.8.2.0 on windows 7, I just plugged 2 new devices, but it seems to use the already installed driver and do not try to update with recent ones.
So installing manually the 2.10.0 before the devices may avoid issues.  It is just my current config, and may be my FTDI device are good ones, so if someone tires, let us know the status.
Stephane

Offline Materdaddy

• Developer
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2014, 04:50:49 PM »

Offline ihbar

• Developer
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2014, 01:22:02 PM »
Hello Materdaddy.
You may be right : I did not saw that malicious driver was removed from windows update.   It means we are back to previous situation.
thanks

I have made a small enclosure for the pcb with 3d printer. If anyone want the 3D file, let me know.
Stephane

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline clydel

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2015, 11:43:45 AM »
I'm going to try both of these devices:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CPLOVW/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687782&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B009SIDMNM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=158DVC5D1P0KYD6YG89F

and this one

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009SIDMNM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'd like to see how they work with the Renzilla minirenSISO, and also with the FPP.

gadgetsmith, how did these items work out for you?  Were you able to get DMX working from either of these items?  I would really like to have a simple solution for DMX output from a Pi or Windows computer.