Author Topic: Pi Player Single DMX?  (Read 10724 times)

Offline ron

• Developer
  • Kudos: 0
Pi Player Single DMX?
« on: April 10, 2014, 10:24:21 PM »
Is there any solution that would allow me to send a single DMX universe out from something similar to the FPP? 

I'll explain what I'm thinking.  My mother-in-law has been asking me for several years to setup a show at her house.  I'd like to do this for her, but she is 30 minutes away from me, I don't want to setup a show computer at her house and I don't want to be over working on the show all the time.  What I'd like is to use one or maybe two max of my Lynx Express boards and setup a basic show for her on 16 or 32 channels.  I thought I might be able to do this with the Panther DMX player, but she wants the music too, so I need something similar to the FPP, preferably.  I've got spare radio transmitters, so I think I have everything I need with the exception of something to play the music and shows.

I know I could do this with the FPP and E.131 to DMX bridge, but that seems like overkill.

Any thoughts?  Dave, feel like developing a single universe DMX add on board for the FPP?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 180
Re: Pi Player Single DMX?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 10:40:35 PM »
In a month or so when the next version of FPP is released, it will support using low-cost FTDI  USB to RS-485 adapters to send single universes of DMX or Pixelnet out from the Pi.  I have been testing with an adapter I picked up off eBay for $7 including shipping.

-
Chris

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 10:44:24 PM »
Capt Murdoch says he has put code to drive a string of lights from a single pin of the pi player. If 2801 lights you should be able to do at least one universe. The potential is perfect for your mom in law.
Sean
Littleton, CO Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

Offline ron

• Developer
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 11:53:00 PM »
Sweet. You guys never cease to amaze.

Offline ron

• Developer
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 09:01:22 AM »
In a month or so when the next version of FPP is released, it will support using low-cost FTDI  USB to RS-485 adapters to send single universes of DMX or Pixelnet out from the Pi.  I have been testing with an adapter I picked up off eBay for $7 including shipping.

Do you have a link for that adapter?  I'd like to pick one up and get familiar with it.  Thanks.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 09:27:07 AM »

Do you have a link for that adapter?  I'd like to pick one up and get familiar with it.  Thanks.

I didn't purchase from this seller, but the one I've been testing with is for sale in this ad posting:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-to-RS485-TTL-Serial-Converter-Adapter-FTDI-interface-FT232RL-75176-Module-Ne-/161264238508?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item258c18ffac

I noticed several other sellers with the same board ranging from around $6.50-7.50 with free shipping.  You are looking for something that has the FT232 chipset.  You can find adapters that use this chip and have covers on them as well if the lack of a cover is a show-stopper. :)

Offline ihbar

• Developer
  • Kudos: 1
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 02:46:35 PM »
Hi

I bought the same adapter, and I have additional information :
It seems to works with FPP configured in open DMX.  But looking more closely to the signals, the DMX break is not clean : both data line are at low level.  Seems to work with my fixture, but may randomly stop working. 
then, I fixed it....

Problem detailed description  (you can skip) :  During the break, the tx enable line of RS485 chip was reset, and chip was going to Hi-Impedance. There are pull down resistor on data + and data - line. As the break is long (1ms), it seems that is is anyway recognized.
The RS485 chip is (75176B) is going to Hi Z because it is connected to pin C2 of FTDI chip.  This pin is configurable, and In my chip, it was configured as "TXDEN". TXDEN is at low level during break.

How to fix ?
- option 1: disconnect the control line and connect it to vcc, easy to say, not easy to do.  I don't advise this solution. ;)
- option 2 : use the FTDI software Ft_Prog to change chip configuration.  I have used it on my PC. The screen copy is attached.  I have changed the C2 configuration to SLEEP#, so line is always high.  And now my dmx signal is perfect with FPP 0.3.0  8)

If you need more details, PM me !
Stephane

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Materdaddy

• Developer
  • Kudos: 10
    • Christmas On Quiet Hills
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 10:34:28 PM »
I have not been able to program C2 for SLEEP#.  I bought the device Chris linked to: http://www.ebay.com/itm/161264238508?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

When I try to program the EEPROM I get the following error message:
"Programming Failed"
"Has the device been removed?"

I've tried the following:
* Re-installing drivers multiple times
* Re-installing with custom VID/PID I made per the application notes and google searches because the PID on my devices is showing up as 0000 instead of 6001
* Tried programming via FT_Prog's command-line mode.  The application note on this suggests a chip type mis-match with the template, but I verified they're both FT232R.

I've read the following FTDI application notes/technical notes:
* AN-107
* AN-124
* AN-126
* TN-100

I've googled a handful of things and not been able to get anything to work to change C2.

Any suggestions?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 10:44:28 PM »
I just picked up a couple more so I will test those when they come in.  Ihbar may have an idea since it was his research to begin with I believe.

Offline Materdaddy

• Developer
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2014, 01:59:19 PM »
http://hackaday.com/2014/10/22/watch-that-windows-update-ftdi-drivers-are-killing-fake-chips/ <-- looks like it has to do w/ me using the latest FTDI driver detecting a counterfit.  It changes the PID to 0, essentially bricking the device.

Money well spent... :-/

Offline Livermore-Dad

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2014, 02:04:40 PM »
http://hackaday.com/2014/10/22/watch-that-windows-update-ftdi-drivers-are-killing-fake-chips/ <-- looks like it has to do w/ me using the latest FTDI driver detecting a counterfit.  It changes the PID to 0, essentially bricking the device.

Money well spent... :-/

Ya just started a conversation on a car tuning group I'm on. We are not sure how we feel about this. Microsoft actively bricking a device.. This doesn't seem right.
I know some stuff. For example i know I don't know anything.

Offline Materdaddy

• Developer
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2014, 02:30:04 PM »
It's actually FTDI bricking the device, not M$.  I agree it doesn't seem right.  They're hurting the end-user/consumer who has little recourse to tell if a device is legit or counterfeit instead of going after counterfeit manufacturers or suppliers.

Assuming the PID was the only change, I was able to fix mine in linux like this:
echo 0403 6001 >/sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/ftdi_sio/new_id

It is recognized when inserted to linux with the 6001 PID now.  Now I need to seek out the old driver for XP to program the C2 pin for SLEEP# before I derailed this thread!

I guess I should also ask, does anybody have a source for a similar FTDI-based USB->RS485 dongle that's known to use a genuine FTDI part?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 109
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2014, 02:42:15 PM »
without cracking a case, how would I know FTDI from fake FTDI? 

Will the Ft_prog software tell you? (or will connecting it brick the RS485 device)

Offline Materdaddy

• Developer
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 03:17:16 PM »
Connecting it to a windows machine with the 2.12.0 driver will brick it.  I'm not sure if it's bricked for Pi output at that point, but you cannot program the chip using FT_prog.  It also doesn't tell you anything other than can't program.

The way to tell is to look in the device properties and you'll see something like: "USB\VID_0403&PID_0000&REV_0600" (note the PID is all 0s).

This is the mark of the fake with the new 2.12.0 driver.  Setting the PID to 0 somewhat ruins the device for other systems too.

The "workaround" I mentioned a second ago must put a mapping in linux's driver that maps to the serial number because when I plug the device into the linux machine, it keeps coming up with PID6001 and FTDI driver picks it up, however plugging back into winXP would still show 0 and it didn't work.

I was able to delete the 2.12.0 driver from winXP and install the 2.8 driver with PID changed to 0 in the .inf file (which makes the driver yell about not being signed).  This allowed me to use FT_prog to program the device back to a 6001 PID as well as change C2 to SLEEP# and all is well.

Except for the fact that these devices are counterfeit.

I'm going to do a little more testing at some point to determine if they work in the "PID 0000" case.  Basically what I want to find out is if somebody plugs them into a windows machine with the new driver and "bricks" it, will it still work on their Pi to talk to their Renard/DMX devices.

Link on workaround:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=270175.msg1922910#msg1922910

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 03:27:22 PM »
I found a way to get an FTDI programmer and an Arudunio Nano to work after the windows update at well.  I posted about it here: http://diychristmas.org/vb1/showthread.php?2690-minimalist-shield-NANO&p=31697&viewfull=1#post31697   Not sure if this is the same issue, and no idea if FT_prog would work for those boards after this "fix", which is basically to install the driver manually, and "not signed".

HTH.