Author Topic: PocketBeagle based controller thoughts/ideas....  (Read 7043 times)

Offline dkulp

• Kudos: 77
Re: PocketBeagle based controller thoughts/ideas....
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2018, 07:19:12 PM »
Thank you both.  I must be an idiot for not seeing that.  I have a header question.  Are they straight pin mounting style?  What is the pitch?  There are so many choices and this is my first header soldering.  Thanks. 
Are these the right ones from Digikey?  https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/sullins-connector-solutions/PPPC182LFBN-RC/S7121-ND/810257
Are these the right ones from Mouser?  https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/3M-Electronic-Solutions-Division/929975-01-18-RK?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs%252bGHln7q6pm%252bCiuHjnbsudltB2KjZ5cAc%3d

The digikey ones are definitely correct, but expensive.   Not sure how many you need, but ebay is good for these types of things:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20pc-Pin-Female-Header-pitch-2-54x2-54mm-H-8-5mm-Straight-type-2x18p-2x18-36P/142076357501?hash=item2114692b7d:m:mlXhX00KSlnlA9--DcnYiWA

I've attached some pictures of them mounted on the bottom of the PocketBeagle.   The third picture shows the problem of trying to mount it on top.   The chip gets in the way.  Looking at the other cape on tindie and such, they all mount the females on the bottom.   The reason mentioned in the groups was so it can sit on the desk and not have pins shorted out and such.   That said, if you plan on using MikcroBus Click things, you'll need to figure out how to get the female headers on top, but then they won't work with my boards.   
Dan Kulp

Offline Wichita

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2018, 07:33:14 PM »
Micro Center has them for $19.99.  $5.99 shipping.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/488436/PocketBeagle_Board

Offline stanward

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2018, 09:36:25 PM »
Micro Center has them for $19.99.  $5.99 shipping.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/488436/PocketBeagle_Board
Crazy shipping cost to Hawaii!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2018, 05:26:24 AM »
@stanward now that's funny.  Heck I could buy you one and mail it to you for under a buck.

Dan,
How much would the price change for a stripped down version of the F8-PB?  If it's only a couple bucks then not sure it would be worth the hassle.  I assume the board is a huge part of the cost but wasn't sure how much.  What I'm thinking is just 4-8 outputs for pixels and at most a differential output but probably not.  No DMX or other rj45 outputs.   Here is my thought. I have 4 places on my house that I ran from differential receivers this year that would be great to put a beagle controller running wifi instead. 

Offline DaveM

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2018, 06:03:07 AM »
@stanward. Well you know, the staff here at Microcenter have been trying to figure out how to pay for a group vacation to Hawaii and we figured we'd all fly over and hand deliver it to you!

(No I don't work there)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Offline dkulp

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2018, 06:58:33 AM »

How much would the price change for a stripped down version of the F8-PB?  If it's only a couple bucks then not sure it would be worth the hassle.  I assume the board is a huge part of the cost but wasn't sure how much.  What I'm thinking is just 4-8 outputs for pixels and at most a differential output but probably not.  No DMX or other rj45 outputs.   Here is my thought. I have 4 places on my house that I ran from differential receivers this year that would be great to put a beagle controller running wifi instead. 

It kind of depends on how much interest there is.   The F8-PB will likely be right around the same price as last year at $42.  Pulling off the expansion port saves less than a buck.  Each differential output is about $2, I think.  So potentially 7 bucks or so.   Probably a couple more if dropped to 4 outputs.

HOWEVER, the $42 assumes qty of at least 20, and because of the amount of through hole soldering, triggers discounts at qty 20.   By removing a lot of the soldering, some of the discounts go away.  For example, QTY 20 of the PocketScroller does not get the same discount despite the 6 connectors.   There are also fees that are not "per board" that need to amortize across the qty.  There is a $20 stencil fee, there is a parts aquisition fee, and a engineer start fee.   Also, as you can see from Digikey and Mouser, the parts get cheaper with increased qty.   Thus, if I cannot get enough interest in 20, the cost could actually go up.   

The board size is almost irrelevant.   Elecrows pricing breaks down into 5cm increments.  I keep my board designs under 10cm x 10cm as going over DOES trigger a big difference.  However, I cannot get them cheaper until I can drop one of the dimensions down to under 5cm.  That's VERY hard to do with pixel connectors and fuses and such.  Maybe if I mount the PB underneath or something.   Even then, the difference isn't much. 

Anyway, the main cost factor is the quantity.  By putting the expansions ports, I'm hoping that triggers enough interest to keep the quantity up.   If I offered a second "stripped down" version, would I still be able to sell 20 of each?  I don't know.  If I cannot sell 20 of the F8-PB, the cost of that would go up a few, possibly selling even less.    To give you an idea, I sold 28 (3 to myself) of the F8B's last year (ordered 30, still have two on the shelf) and only 6  F32's (2 to myself, still have 4 on the shelf). Thus, my gut feeling is not a huge interest.  That said, now that I have experience running a GB, I'll likely promote it more on the other sites and such, particularly for the PocketScroller.     

I think I took some course in college about all of that.... Global Economics or something like that...  Supply/Demand :)

Anyway, that's all background for you.   For the most part, I want to get the F8-PB prototypes from Elecrow and fully test them.   If everything works, I can then possibly strip things off and get a real quote. 

Offline Emuney18

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2018, 07:57:02 AM »
Ok, given we are only talking a couple bucks, I would stay with the full version.

Can I buy one of your remaining F8B's for the BBB?

Offline dkulp

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2018, 06:09:49 PM »

In preparation for offering the PocketBeagles with headers attached, I started training the assembly team tonight...  :)

Seriously, he asked for a way to make money to buy a new baseball bat before baseball season (bat standards changed this year so last years bats cannot be used).   Told him if he wanted to learn to solder electronics, I would pay him to assemble PocketBeagles and Octoscrollers.   Right now we're learning/practicing on some scrap Octo boards, but he's learning pretty quick.  Second set of headers only had a single pin that needed fixing. 

Offline Emuney18

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2018, 06:42:49 PM »
I love it.  It's amazing what they will do when they want something.

Offline Emuney18

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2018, 07:40:19 AM »
Am I correct that the F8B and the F8PB have buck converters on them to power everything from a 12V power supply?

Offline dkulp

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2018, 07:44:36 AM »
Am I correct that the F8B and the F8PB have buck converters on them to power everything from a 12V power supply?

Yes.   They use a MEZD71202A-G so technically they can also use 24V for those of you that want to run that.   It's also kind of easy to swap it out  with a MEZD72402A-G if someone wants 36V. 

Offline Emuney18

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2018, 09:37:45 PM »
After playing with my F8B board I just got, I am excited about the F8 for the Pocket Beagle.

Offline aclarksr

« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2018, 10:03:24 PM »
Any prediction on when the pocket scroller will become available? Looking forward to its arrival.

Thanks,

Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline dkulp

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2018, 09:07:26 AM »
Any prediction on when the pocket scroller will become available? Looking forward to its arrival.

I received pictures of the first assembled board from Elecrow on Thursday to do a visual check.   So the first batch of 20 is being assembled now.  I HOPE to have them and the first batch of 20 F8PB's before they go on "Chinese New Year" break so I can do final testing and update the BBB code.   I hope to be able to run the first group buy over the Chinese New Year holiday so I can present an order when they return. 

I need to test quickly... if the boards don't need any changes and work perfectly, then I have 3 months to order the next batch or the cost goes up a little bit.  They keep the stencil on hand for 3 months so if I order after that, I need to pay to have a new stencil created.

Offline dkulp

« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2018, 02:49:44 PM »

Look what DHL delivered to me today... :)

Basic pixel code is working for ports 1-8... Need to test the other ports and the DMX code, but so far it looks good.