Author Topic: PocketBeagle based controller thoughts/ideas....  (Read 6059 times)

Offline Wichita

• Kudos: 0
Re: PocketBeagle based controller thoughts/ideas....
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2018, 04:36:22 PM »
I can't find any info on the power jumpers for the F8-PB.  I assume both in is 12volts and just one in the middle is 5 volts.

Offline aclarksr

« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2018, 04:38:57 PM »
You assume correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Wichita

« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2018, 04:57:12 PM »
If you need an Ethernet to USB 3 port hub adapter  this worked for me: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00LLUEJXW?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t1

It allowed me to use the Edimax wifi and have wired Ethernet with the one USB port on the pocket beagle. 

Offline tmarshall

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2018, 12:56:33 PM »
I was in the Navy and colorblindness would have kept me out of the Electronics Technician (and Nuclear) fields.
At almost 65, my vision is more of a problem but can still see color. I have a pile of CAT5 that needs new ends because the stupid tabs break off. Just need very good lighting and clean glasses.

Some how it does not surprise me that you were a nuke. I bet there are a lot of us in this hobby. I spent 10 years in the Navy as a nuke.   :)

Offline beatlerat

« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2018, 12:04:49 PM »
Dan,
I am looking to expand my display only slightly and possibly add a future 2x3 matrix for a tune to.
Do I understand correctly that the F8-PB can run 8 ports, and additional 12 ports (with three receivers) and an Fv3 16 port expansion board, for a total of  36 (or 32?) ports driven?
Is the Pocket Beagle necessary to do this if hard wired into the show router? 

And, will the Pocket scroller /w Pocket Beagle control a small matrix wireless (using a USB wifi)? 
I am assuming the above are both true?
Thanks, looking to place an order and making sure.

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 69
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2018, 03:00:06 PM »
Dan,
I am looking to expand my display only slightly and possibly add a future 2x3 matrix for a tune to.
Do I understand correctly that the F8-PB can run 8 ports, and additional 12 ports (with three receivers) and an Fv3 16 port expansion board, for a total of  36 (or 32?) ports driven?
Is the Pocket Beagle necessary to do this if hard wired into the show router? 

Correct.   The F8-PB can drive 36 strings if you have all the expansions and receivers and all that.      The PocketBeagle is necessary as that is the actual processor that does everything. 

And, will the Pocket scroller /w Pocket Beagle control a small matrix wireless (using a USB wifi)? 
I am assuming the above are both true?
Thanks, looking to place an order and making sure.

Yep.  If using a USB wifi, then it should allow control of a possibly not-so-small matrix.    With 6 outputs, that's 72 P10 panels which isn't exactly small.  :)   
Dan Kulp

Offline Broomy111

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2018, 10:32:17 PM »
Hi Dan,

With the 36 strings, can that consist of two of the Falcon expansion boards daisy chained and using four of the onboard ports?

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2018, 04:36:04 PM »
Hi Dan,

With the 36 strings, can that consist of two of the Falcon expansion boards daisy chained and using four of the onboard ports?

No..   It doesn't support daisy chaining at all of the expansion board.  Just one.

Offline Broomy111

« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2018, 06:13:15 PM »
Ok thanks

Offline LazerBlue

« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2018, 03:14:41 PM »
Just got my board in today and it looks great!  Getting ready to swap out my Pi and Falcon picap  for it tonight, but have a question about the jumpers first.  Are the voltage select jumpers just for powering the PocketBeagle?  I'm currently powering the Pi by USB with an inline USB battery pack that passes through power acting as a UPS and having the power supplies only turn on before the schedule starts.  Can this be setup the same way. 

Second question if the first is yes.  If it can be powered independently via USB, does the board need power if I'm only doing data output and injecting power separately into each string?  My year round lights are 24V which will only be 2 ports and the holiday lights which will eventually fill this are 12V.  I would hate to run a 12V Power supply just to power the board during the times when I'm only running my landscape lights. 

Thanks in advance.

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2018, 09:16:37 PM »
Just got my board in today and it looks great!  Getting ready to swap out my Pi and Falcon picap  for it tonight, but have a question about the jumpers first.  Are the voltage select jumpers just for powering the PocketBeagle?  I'm currently powering the Pi by USB with an inline USB battery pack that passes through power acting as a UPS and having the power supplies only turn on before the schedule starts.  Can this be setup the same way. 

Yea.  If you pull off the jumpers entirely, you should be able to power via the USB.  However, make sure the USB provides enough power.   

Second question if the first is yes.  If it can be powered independently via USB, does the board need power if I'm only doing data output and injecting power separately into each string?  My year round lights are 24V which will only be 2 ports and the holiday lights which will eventually fill this are 12V.  I would hate to run a 12V Power supply just to power the board during the times when I'm only running my landscape lights. 

Yea. That should be fine.  You won't get the nice indicator lights and such, but that's likely ok.

Offline TxBillbr

« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2018, 11:14:55 AM »
How are people doing their initial wifi setup? Plugging wired ethernet into hub on the PB? Is there some other solution? (I could probably mount the SD on a BBB and setup the wifi manually I guess) PB doesn't seem to like my wired adapter. >:(

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2018, 11:34:15 AM »
How are people doing their initial wifi setup? Plugging wired ethernet into hub on the PB? Is there some other solution? (I could probably mount the SD on a BBB and setup the wifi manually I guess) PB doesn't seem to like my wired adapter. >:(

Generally, don't plug it into external power until the wifi is configured.  Instead plug it into your computer via a US cable.   Then point your browser at 192.168.6.2  (Mac/Linux) or 192.168.7.2 (Windows). 

Offline ghladik

« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2018, 10:15:58 AM »
So on the F8-PB, does the micro USB only power the pocket beagle and not the pixels? It seems the 5V power supply doesn't power the beagle, only the pixels, unless I am missing something (very likely...).

I also see that the F8-PB can differentiate between a 5V and 12V power supply but I can't figure out how to change it to 12V.  Any ideas?

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2018, 01:37:41 PM »
So on the F8-PB, does the micro USB only power the pocket beagle and not the pixels? It seems the 5V power supply doesn't power the beagle, only the pixels, unless I am missing something (very likely...).

I also see that the F8-PB can differentiate between a 5V and 12V power supply but I can't figure out how to change it to 12V.  Any ideas?

In general, don't power the BBB from the microusb except for first setup.   I ship all of them ready to be powered from 12V.  The two jumpers on the side: if both are in place, it is set for 12V.   If you pull them off and put one on the middle two pins, that would be set for 5V.