Author Topic: Cannot complete installation of FPP / Falcon on Raspberry Pi 3  (Read 1047 times)

Offline twseeman

• Kudos: 0
Cannot complete installation of FPP / Falcon on Raspberry Pi 3
« on: January 04, 2018, 06:58:28 PM »
I  am struggling with completing the installation of Falcon on Raspberry Pi 3.  I had to use an old version of SD Card formatter.  I used version 4 and i was able to boot the SD Card on the raspberry and got to the point where the window showed the option to to check "Falcon Player Install".  When I marked the option to install Falcon Player and clicked the "Install" button, it started installing.  It got to 4%,then started over again until the display went back to the starting window.  I did this several time and never got past that point.  I am installing on a new Raspberry Pi 3 w/ a Falcon PiCap board installed.  The jumpers have not been changed from factory resets.  Can anyone help me with this?
Thanks
Tom

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 57
Re: Cannot complete installation of FPP / Falcon on Raspberry Pi 3
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 07:26:43 PM »
What version of FPP are you trying to install?  I have never had to click anything to install FPP and I have over a dozen Pi3s here with 9 in my show and a couple extra to play with for future stuff.  I unzip the files on my computer, copy every unzipped file to the SD card, boot it up and walk away.  come back in 20 or 30 minutes or more.  Connect to the Pi using FPP.local or FPP/ using Chrome and then start doing the configurations.  Easy and simple and no questions to answer.  Btw it is version 4 of SD formatter that seems to work the best.  The next version of FPP (later in 2018) will be image based and will not come via a zip file.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline twseeman

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 07:36:37 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  It is version 1.8.  I think I found a problem.  No battery in the PiCap.  I will need to purchase one and see if that helps.  Thanks again for the reply!  I will reply after battery is in.

BTW: Should I find 1.9 and try that.  I find it interesting that you don't see the window showed the option to to check "Falcon Player Install".

This is my first project with these components and I am exited to get it working and move on the more components.

Thanks again for the reply.

Tom

Online Bwinter

• Kudos: 7
    • First Show 2016
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 09:34:52 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  It is version 1.8.  I think I found a problem.  No battery in the PiCap.  I will need to purchase one and see if that helps.  Thanks again for the reply!  I will reply after battery is in.

BTW: Should I find 1.9 and try that.  I find it interesting that you don't see the window showed the option to to check "Falcon Player Install".

This is my first project with these components and I am exited to get it working and move on the more components.

Thanks again for the reply.

Tom

No, you dont need a battery in the PiCap-thats only for the clock.

Ive also never seen this falcon player install button you refer to.  Ive never needed to provide any input until after FPP is installed, and go into the configuration through the web interface.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 10:49:45 AM »
The two picaps in my show have never had a battery installed.  The battery is only needed if you have no internet connection.

Offline jhoybs

• Kudos: 5
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 12:56:15 PM »
Agreed, I've been running my show with a PiCap master and I didn't use a battery.

I've never seen an install button either - I've never connected any of my Pis to a mouse or keyboard.  You format the SD card, unzip the files, manually copy them to the SD card and then boot the Pi with the SD card inserted (you also need the formatted USB drive).
Jim H - Muskego, WI
Falcon F16v3, PiCap, FPPs. Lynx Expresses, xLights

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 182
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 07:34:13 PM »
We have had a few reports over the years that for some reason, sometimes the Pi NOOBS installer does not automatically start the install.  I think there were some theories or suggested solutions, but I've never run into the issue that I recall.

The next version of the FPP SD for the Pi will not use the NOOBS installer, there will be no install, the image will contain a pre-installed OS with FPP installed.  This is similar to the BBB images which don't use an installer.
-
Chris

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 111
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 04:27:31 PM »
We have had a few reports over the years that for some reason, sometimes the Pi NOOBS installer does not automatically start the install.  I think there were some theories or suggested solutions, but I've never run into the issue that I recall.

I was one of those (over a year ago, I think). Install just stopped, even when watching on an HDMI monitor. Even with a keyboard attached.

But after about the 5th time to try, it began working and has installed many times on many PIs since then. I now believe that I was wearing unlucky shoes or something equally mystical.

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 06:50:55 PM »
HA! I think I have the same shoes....or at least was in a boat or something like that with ya...
Ryan

Offline kryptic

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 10:52:15 AM »
I had a similar issue trying to install the FPP on my Pi 3 B, it wouldn't light up and install. Come to find out it was a faulty Micro Sd card the entire time. I purchased a new Micro SD card and USB thumb drive and used the SD card formatter, unzipped all the files for FPP right to the micro sd and hooked everything back up and plugged it in and instantly it started to install the FPP software right to the Pi 3 and was done in about 25 minutes. Make sure you write down the IP address so you can access the FPP software from your browser later.

Offline marito158

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 08:02:00 AM »
Hi, Im pretty new on this, and as you can see Christmas is around the corner and I havent got a chance to to set the lights, based on videos it looked very simple, I purchased all the pieces, and now Im stuck with the FPP, I tried several version and some just will get up to colored square screen, some other to 4 raspberries, I was blaming  on the SD card and/or Pi but I installed Noobs and it worked fine, which its telling me that SD and Pi are good, therefore I dont know what Im missing, open to any suggestions before my wife trash my computer as I did with the ugly plain lights that she used each years.

Offline bpos

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 09:29:25 AM »
Are you using SD formatter and Win32 Disk imager?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 111
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 10:04:21 AM »
Are you using SD formatter and Win32 Disk imager?

As bpos says, it sounds like you may be skipping a step. The downloaded "image" file must be written to the uSD card with a program. Some use Etcher, some use Win32 Disk Imager, some use dotNet Disk Imager.

Step by step instructions are from this Forum. Here is the link. Don't skip steps.
https://falconchristmas.com/forum/index.php/topic,9372.0.html

Offline marito158

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 10:16:31 AM »
SD formatter/overwrite format ----> copy and paste FPP-v1.8-Pi on a 32GB sands extreme micro SD
i have connected USB mouse, USB keyboard, HDMI, CAT5 for network, 5v Pi power adapter, USB flash drive 16GB

Online K-State Fan

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 10:37:48 AM »
Image needs to be written (not copy/paste) to the card.  I would also use the newest image.