Author Topic: LedTriks/Vixen/Xlights Nutcracker/fseq question  (Read 5296 times)

Offline beatlerat

• Kudos: 0
LedTriks/Vixen/Xlights Nutcracker/fseq question
« on: April 13, 2014, 05:41:17 PM »
I would like to run my LedTriks one more year while running my show with the Falcon Pi Player.  When I convert my files to fseq, does the trigger plugin for Vixen still work to run the script to turn on/off  my LedTriks?  If not, how would I go about controlling my LedTriks?   I was using a simple text script to talk directly to the Triks-C  board.
Thx in advance.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 80
Re: LedTriks/Vixen/Xlights Nutcracker/fseq question
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 06:58:57 PM »
In FPP we have events that can fire scripts that run on the PI. You can schedule events or have them triggered by sequence data using two control channels. If interested the Captain or I can walk you through it.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 07:06:09 PM »
Do we currently allow multiple 'first' or 'last' non-repeating items checked in a repeating playlist?  I have a note to check this in the code but I think that it may not work. (although I would like it to)

-
Chris

Offline beatlerat

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 11:26:03 AM »
In FPP we have events that can fire scripts that run on the PI. You can schedule events or have them triggered by sequence data using two control channels. If interested the Captain or I can walk you through it.

I think I would be interested in this, if possible.   Here is my .bat file to start LedTriks:

echo off
ltc_11.exe tohear.txt
#FDL40
#RPT0
#FRM

ltc_11.exe tuneto.txt
#FDL40
#RPT0
#FRM

ltc_11.exe 951.txt
#FDL60
#RPT0
#FRM

ltc_11.exe merry.txt
#FDL30
#RPT0
#FRM

ltc_11.exe snow.txt
#FDL40
#RPT0
#FRM

And the second .bat file to stop the executable:

tskill ltc

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 11:29:46 AM »
Not sure what "ltc_11.exe" does but any scripts would be running in a Linux environment. What is LEDTriks expecting, serial data? Is anyone here familiar with the input expected from LED triks.

Offline beatlerat

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 01:29:29 PM »
The way I understand it is that the original LedTriks protocol was a parallel port controller run through Vixen.  Using the Triks-C board and LTC-11.exe (L [Led] T [Triks] C [Controller]-11[ver.11]), the TRIKS-C uses an ATMEL processor to take a LedTriks file and send it out to the LedTriks Controller, via the serial port or USB to serial.  I had been using the Vixen Launcher to start the .bat file to send the commands to the Triks-C. 
My LedTriks also has an X-Bee attached so it could be wireless if that helps.

Offline beatlerat

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 08:11:30 PM »
Not sure what "ltc_11.exe" does but any scripts would be running in a Linux environment. What is LEDTriks expecting, serial data? Is anyone here familiar with the input expected from LED triks.
I had formatted my SD card for Windows.  I can assume that scripts won't run using this format.  I may have to go to plan "B".

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 08:15:08 PM »
I had formatted my SD card for Windows.  I can assume that scripts won't run using this format.  I may have to go to plan "B".

The pi can read fat32 files so that is not the problem. The problem is the .exe is a Windows program that will not run on Linux. But on a good note the Triks board seems to require a serial input, so if you can get us the format we can try to include it with the many serial protocols we support.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 01:33:20 AM »
I am relatively new to the hobby/addiction, so I don't know all the names, but it appears that one of the FPP users used a LEDTriks board with FPP in his 2013 show.

http://www.christmasinbrewster.com/2013/12/01/2013-underway/

He mentions controlling the Triks-C board with PHP from the Pi.  You might want to contact him or maybe he'll see this and post.  It seems like the work is already done if you can get the PHP script from him. If so, it would be good to get the PHP script up on a wiki somewhere for others to benefit from since it could be fired directly from FPP now as an event script instead of having to monitor the status of FPP.

Offline smeighan

• Developer
  • Kudos: 11
    • Nutcracker123
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 07:53:58 AM »
I am relatively new to the hobby/addiction, so I don't know all the names, but it appears that one of the FPP users used a LEDTriks board with FPP in his 2013 show.

http://www.christmasinbrewster.com/2013/12/01/2013-underway/

He mentions controlling the Triks-C board with PHP from the Pi.  You might want to contact him or maybe he'll see this and post.  It seems like the work is already done if you can get the PHP script from him. If so, it would be good to get the PHP script up on a wiki somewhere for others to benefit from since it could be fired directly from FPP now as an event script instead of having to monitor the status of FPP.

from that web page "One nagging issue was how I was going to control the Ledtriks panels since ltc.exe is a dos program. Thankfully the author of ltc and designer of the Triks-C sent me the source code and I was able to come up with something in PHP that would talk to the panels.".

maybe we could also get a copy of the original ltc code? maybe a c program that can compile across all 3 platforms.
Sean
Littleton, CO Latest releases http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/releases xLights/Nutcracker Forum http://nutcracker123.com/forum/index.php Facebook [url=https://www.facebook.com/groups

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 01:24:45 PM »
from that web page "One nagging issue was how I was going to control the Ledtriks panels since ltc.exe is a dos program. Thankfully the author of ltc and designer of the Triks-C sent me the source code and I was able to come up with something in PHP that would talk to the panels.".

maybe we could also get a copy of the original ltc code? maybe a c program that can compile across all 3 platforms.

I thought about that, but my TODO list is long enough right now.  I agree, it would be good to get both the C and PHP code though. :)  Another reason I suggested getting the PHP was that it could be uploaded into FPP right now as a script with no compilation necessary.

Offline ron

• Developer
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 07:20:06 PM »
Anybody contacting Christmas in Brewster?  I'm interested in this as well.

Offline cbell

• Christmas In Brewster
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 12:15:22 PM »
Ron left me a message on my website that you guys were looking at Ledtriks stuff.  Here is what I have to offer.  Unfortunately since last year's show ended, we moved to a house where I won't be able to have a display anymore so I am kind of falling out of the hobby.  I had hoped to improve this code this year, but with no display anymore don't have much incentive to do so, but want to provide it here as is, in case it helps anyone.

Here is the code I was running.  There are a few issues with it.  There were some Ledtriks sequences that it would run flawlessly, and some that I could never get to run right.  I never got around to putting in the time to figure out why some worked great and others did not.

Additionally, my ledtriks was 1 panel wide by 2 panels high, so there is a good chance I took some liberties with this fact and the code isn't quite as ready as it should be to work on say a two panel wide by 1 panel high sign.  This appears to be the case in sequence/ledtriks.php in the command_byte function.  I don't think you could get it to send to what the triks-c developer calls panel 2.  I think I only designed it to be able to send to panels 1 and 3 which is the configuration I have my sign in.  It wouldn't take much to fix it, but in the interest of time that's not how I designed it.

I don't have the pi in front of me at the moment, but I had something in the rc.local file involving nohup that started php -f ltc.php.   This would then loop indefinitely reading the current status of fpp.  When a sequence was playing it would check to see if it was either my main show or my pre/post show and play the appropriate ledtriks sequence.

Sorry that it's not commented better, but if you have any questions feel free to ask.

[attachment deleted by admin]
-Chris
 Follow my journey: http://www.christmasinbrewster.com/blog/

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 12:36:28 PM »
Thanks Chris. We will put it to good use. Thanks again.

Offline cbell

• Christmas In Brewster
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 01:26:29 PM »
In regards to the code for ltc.exe, I wouldn't feel right passing it on without Tim's permission, but he is TimW on DIYC if you want to see what he has to say.  It was written in freebasic and when I looked at Christmas time I couldn't find a compiler that would compile it to work on that pi because that was my first thought was to just make an executable that could be called from somewhere.