Author Topic: LedTriks/Vixen/Xlights Nutcracker/fseq question  (Read 4869 times)

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 197
Re: LedTriks/Vixen/Xlights Nutcracker/fseq question
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2014, 04:16:51 PM »
Thanks

-
Chris

Offline ron

• Developer
  • Kudos: 0
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2014, 08:15:39 PM »
Thanks for posting and sharing Chris.  Hope to see you back in the hobby at some point.

Ron

Offline TimW

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 08:39:42 AM »
After a bit of playing around today I managed to get LTC (the crude but effective windows program that drives a triksc/Ledtriks display) ported across to the Pi.

(Turns out there is now a freebasic compiler for ARM/Raspian....)

There are a couple of additional dependencies that have to be loaded to get the compiled code to run (it needs a couple of extra libraries) - and I'm not sure whether the overhead of running this on the Pi will get in the way of FPP. But with some minor changes to the LTC code I now have a stock Pi talking via a usb-422 convertor to my Ledtriks setup. So far so good (without a long test!)

Biggest problem at present is the FTDI USB adaptor - it seems to work fine on the stock image but creates an instant lockup as soon as its opened on the FPP image. Looking at the RPi forums it looks like there's been a bit of trouble with the USB interface over time - But I'm a newbie to Linux and I don't know whether there are missing bits in the FPP build that have since been cleaned up on the stock image.... or if its something else I don't understand!

So the bottom line is : promising start - but not quite there yet!

Tim

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 197
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2014, 09:11:19 AM »
Biggest problem at present is the FTDI USB adaptor - it seems to work fine on the stock image but creates an instant lockup as soon as its opened on the FPP image.

Sounds like you are making good progress... :)

If you are running the stock v0.2.0 FPP SD image then there is an issue with the USB kernel driver in that version.  The new v0.3.0 image that will be coming out has a newer kernel and works fine with the USB serial adapters I have connected to it so far.  If you want to test on your v0.2.0 image, you can run an update to get the newer kernel to test, but it will break rasclock support if you have a rasclock.  The new FPP SD image will include the rasclock module for the newer kernel.

It sounds like what you are working on would make a great 'plugin' using the new system that Materdaddy wrote which will be in v0.3.0 to implement the FMT212R support he has worked on.  I have an old LED sign that uses the AlphaSign protocol that I wrote a Perl module for which I plan on creating a plugin for as well, but that will be after v0.3.0.  I think there are lots of things we can do with plugins now that the framework is in place, we could look at firing plugins to display RDS information gleaned from ID3 tag info, running plugin code as part of a playlist or event, etc..

Offline TimW

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2014, 08:18:43 AM »
Thanks Captain

I updated the kernel - USB is back!

Will keep testing and await 0.3.0....

Tim

Offline kool-lites

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 03:58:46 AM »