Author Topic: P5 panels hooked to octoscrolla  (Read 815 times)

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 7
P5 panels hooked to octoscrolla
« on: January 24, 2018, 06:54:41 PM »
I have a matrix with 6 P5 panels that are 1/16 scan mode setup with 2 panels per output. The BBB is running on Dan's latest BBB FPP from 2 weeks ago.  I have been testing by output over wifi from xlights through my netgear router to the BBB in bridge mode.  When I have a static image on the screen like a snowman that takes up a large percentage of the sign I have parts of rows of leds around 30 that will flicker randomly.  Since this always occurs in rows I wonder if this is a refresh rate or something.  Would hooking my panels up 1 per port help?  Is this a network speed issue?  Does anyone have any thoughts?  I will try loading a sequence tonight and run in standalone mode to see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Emuney18

Re: P5 panels hooked to octoscrolla
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2018, 08:52:17 PM »
So, I ran the sequence from the BBB in standalone mode and it made no difference.  I also hooked each panel to its own output and it made no difference.  It definitely appears to coincide with the scanning of the panels as I look through a phone camera.  It is not noticeable at all with just text, only pictures that have alot of color changes.  Is this just something that happens with panels and I am being too picky? 

Online dkulp

• Kudos: 89
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2018, 09:10:15 PM »

Try doing the reverse and sticking MORE panels on each output....  Try 4 one one and 2 on another....  Then 5/1.

I swear the panel vendors are going cheaper and cheaper and using slower and slower chips each year.   By sticking more panels on there, it causes longer "on" times and longer periods between latches and such which for SOME panels is helping.   I'm likely going to have to add some more settings to the panels page to specify minimal values or something.

Offline Emuney18

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2018, 05:58:34 AM »

Try doing the reverse and sticking MORE panels on each output....  Try 4 one one and 2 on another....  Then 5/1.

I swear the panel vendors are going cheaper and cheaper and using slower and slower chips each year.   By sticking more panels on there, it causes longer "on" times and longer periods between latches and such which for SOME panels is helping.   I'm likely going to have to add some more settings to the panels page to specify minimal values or something.
That did not help. It got progressively worse the more panels were on 1 output. It really looked like scanning artifacts at its worst.  Is it possible the Octo could be a factor?  I have already found that output 4 has a color missing on half the panel.  The octo is from 2016 and was originally purchased from CFOL but I got from a friend. These are panels from CFOL this year.  I know none of this is CFOL's fault just putting it out there in case someone has had the same issue and could help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk