Author Topic: 4-String Differential Receiver Power  (Read 1052 times)

Offline jem5136

• Kudos: 0
    • Lights of the Night
4-String Differential Receiver Power
« on: February 08, 2018, 05:56:12 PM »
I have a question regarding the power input for the 4-String receiver boards, it is listed it has a 30 amp input connector. I am wanting to use the boards to control my poles (which I used a Pi and PiCap last year to control), and a snowflake (i'll have 6 each this year). The poles alone use about 27 amps, and with the snowflakes i'm thinking the total amps will be somewhere around the 35amp range (I haven't build and tested the snowflakes yet).

So I'm wondering if I could power the 4-String board and a couple distro boards all from a single 40 amp 12v power supply. This would be powering the pole (with power injection every 72 nodes) and snowflake (injection ever 50-70 nodes depending how many I use). The board itself may only power 100 pixel between the pole and snowflake before power is injected into each output.

Online jhoybs

• Kudos: 5
Re: 4-String Differential Receiver Power
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 05:29:39 PM »
The DC input connector is rated at 30A, but you have 4 outputs that are each fused at 5A. I would only plan on 20A through the receiver board (5A x 4) max.  I'd fuse the input at 20A on the receiver and then use distribution boards for the power injection.  I'm making some assumptions here based on the specs, but David probably designed the traces on the board for 5A outputs.

Power injection will effectively split your current. For example, if you have a string of pixels that uses 8A and power inject at the end of the string, you'll use 4A from the receiver output and 4A from the distribution board (roughly).
Jim H - Muskego, WI
Falcon F16v3, PiCap, FPPs. Lynx Expresses, xLights