Author Topic: My Pi3 b with Falcon Pi cap, 5 volt power supply  (Read 738 times)

Offline kryptic

• Kudos: 1
My Pi3 b with Falcon Pi cap, 5 volt power supply
« on: February 08, 2018, 12:26:51 PM »
Hello all super newb to all the pi & cap & pixel world, so my question is that my power  going from my Ras Pi 3 b is a 3 amp power source it powers fine to the Pi board, but now on the Pi cap do I need to pull the jumper pin for power from the Pi board so that im not trying to power the cap and Pi & pixels  from the same supply.  I have not powered and tried to run the Falcon Pi Cap yet, due to my lack of knowledge on this issue. I do not want to fry any of my components. I have a 5 volt 12 amp external power supply that I could hook up to the cap to run the pixels. But I don't know if I can just use the power from the Pi Board that I already have plugged into the micro usb power connector. Help  stuck.

Thanks in advance

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
Re: My Pi3 b with Falcon Pi cap, 5 volt power supply
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 03:05:03 PM »
When the Pi has its own separate power supply you should remove the PWR PI jumper on the PiCap.

OR...  leave the jumper and remove the 3A power supply from the Pi so you can use the 12a pixel power supply to power it all
-Mark

Offline kryptic

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 04:47:44 PM »

thanks for the heads up, I can get my 50 led lights to come on but the test lights will not make the color change.I dont have a battery in the pi cap it didnt have one in the packaging. Would that affect the lights.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 05:28:25 PM »
The battery should have no affect on testing the pixels.   Its only used to keep the on-board clock running and the clock is only needed for the FPP schedule when there is no internet connection.   

Offline kryptic

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 08:46:10 PM »
The battery should have no affect on testing the pixels.   Its only used to keep the on-board clock running and the clock is only needed for the FPP schedule when there is no internet connection.
Thanks again Pixel Puppy now to figure out how to make my sequences work without having the setup stuff on xlights,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk