Author Topic: Colorlight board with BeagleBone possibility?  (Read 2863 times)

Offline brichi

• Kudos: 1
Colorlight board with BeagleBone possibility?
« on: February 11, 2018, 09:15:27 AM »
So thanks to Eds help whos amazing I have the colorlight 5a-75b working with pi but like the other thread we were discussing i get some shadowing, ghosting. Is it possible to get the colorlight to work with a BBB being it has a USB port also for the usb to Ethernet adapter? I plugged it in but get no link lights in the adapter when on the bbb so guessing theres no shot right now but maybe something added in future? Or an update to ok to get rid of the ghosting which was said to possible be caused but the pi being too fast.

Thanks!

Offline Ebuechner

• Kudos: 9
Re: Colorlight board with BeagleBone possibility?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 09:25:49 AM »
I have 3 panels running off of Pi's one with a color light and I don't have ghosting on any of them.
And like you I bought my panels from Ray.
So what I'm saying here is it's probably something in your setup or a bad panel.
Have you tried swapping panels around?

Offline brichi

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 09:35:01 AM »
yes,  its on multiple if I do "text".  above a few letters theres a green ghosting above.   Once I am home I will try a few more and post pics.  Was just thinking about this while sitting waiting at the dreaded apple "Genius" Bar, lol

Offline Ebuechner

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 09:42:17 AM »

Offline Ebuechner

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 09:53:18 AM »
Try different fonts and different font sizes.
And if you're doing this from xlights also check things like the blur setting under layer settings.
It could be that your font is just barely hitting the threshold to light up those pixels above.

Offline brichi

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2018, 10:54:23 AM »
hahahahah that video, lol

I have tried even doing an effect like meteor on all white and it bleeds some green on arounf the white

here are 2 pics

this is the Pi with the Colorlight, Its a little hard to see cause of the camera fixing color but along top and bottom of the letters its a little green - [size=78%]https://www.dropbox.com/s/ignp017uy029ynn/Photo%20Feb%2011%2C%2012%2039%2047%20PM.jpg?dl=0[/size]

This is with the BBB with an Octoscroller, a tiny bit of green but barely noticeable - https://www.dropbox.com/s/9fo15zrfh5vs2mn/Photo%20Feb%2011%2C%2012%2043%2046%20PM.jpg?dl=0

Offline Cjaqua

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2018, 11:19:32 AM »
It might be possible to use a gigabit switch between the BBB and Colorlight. That way, the Colorlight will have a gigabit link even though the BBB will only link up at 100mbit. I think that will work if Dan's master 1.x BBB image has the new channel output code to support the Colorlight.

I've been noticing a similar green ghosting on my panels when lighting up some white text or using the white snowflake on a black background. Lowering the refresh rate makes it less noticeable to the point of where I can't see it with a light on in the room but when I turn out the lights, I can see it. I have tried just about every setting in LEDVision and LEDStudio with the Colorlight and Lisn cards but still can't achieve perfection with my panels. The settings on the LEDVision that minimized the ghosting the most were a 120x1 refresh rate along with changing the Scan Order from Progressive Scanning to Shuttle Scanning. I am wondering if the ghosting we are seeing is caused by what is described in the Adafruit thread below:

https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=47243
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 11:35:25 AM by Cjaqua »

Offline brichi

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2018, 11:24:38 AM »
I havent been able to get the colorlight to work with the gigabit switch. I have to use the adapter. Unless Im missing something. I have tried plugging the pi and board into the switch but no luck. I have to go back and try in a little.   If I plug the pi into the switch and the card into the pi via the adapter then it all works. The switch is definitely gigabit too, just bought it for this purpose

Offline Cjaqua

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2018, 11:33:19 AM »
Interesting. I know I can configure the Colorlight card on my Windows machine with it being plugged into the same gigabit switch. I figured the Colorlight packets FPP sends out would broadcast out to every port on the switch in the same manner.

Offline Cjaqua

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2018, 11:53:10 AM »
A work around for the text ghosting issue is to create an image file with the text and have Xlights display the picture. That's assuming you aren't trying to scroll the text or do something dynamically. I actually prefer this method because you have a lot more freedom with the placement and spacing of the text. I typically create a png file set to the size of matrix and then make the background transparent. For whatever reason, I don't notice any text ghosting when using this method.   

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 180
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 12:15:57 PM »
The colorlight should work fine with the beaglebone running fpp v1.10 if you put a switch in the middle.  I have used a switch in between my Pi and the colorlight and Linsn boards when I was testing both vendor receiver boards at the same time.

The ghosting is due to the refresh and that thread has a good analysis.  The same issue could occur with the Pi, BBB, ColorLight, and Linsn if they are refreshing too fast for the panels.  If you are using a Pi or BBB to drive Linsn or ColorLight boards then the refresh is controlled by the receiver board, not fpp or the Pi or BBB.

You can not connect a ColorLight or Linsn directly to a Pi or BBB onboard Ethernet adapter, you must use a gigabit Ethernet adapter or have the Pi or BBB connected to a switch and the ColorLight or Linsn on the same switch.  We have seen that some switches work fine in this config and others dont.  It could be the more expensive or intelligent the switch, the less likely it will work.
-
Chris

Offline brichi

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 12:21:35 PM »
captain, you can run the Colorlight from the pi directly actually if yo have the adapter

I have the pi going to the gigabit switch from the onloard connection and then the colorlight eithernet to the adapter plugged into the Pi usb and it works

only issue im having now is i had 2 panels running fine, now i added 56 and configured the vision softare ok and it all lit up but now i cant get FPP to work in test mode.  im still tinkering around

Offline brichi

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 12:30:00 PM »
i went back to the LEDVision software and the screen wouldnt light up at first, only lit when i went to intel settings, then i plugged the card directly into my laptop and the test screen also showed so i can display a pic on the screen. im so confused, lol

Online dkulp

• Kudos: 68
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 12:41:38 PM »
I should have a new "alpha" image for the BBB later today or tomorrow that I'd LOVE for you to try out if you have some time.  It's based on the master branch so highly experimental, but I'd love feedback. 

I've completely re-written the Matrix code almost from scratch to remove the LEDscape library that we were using.   It now uses the same Panel code that used by the ColorLight/Linsen/RGBMatrix outputs.  This allows significantly less CPU usage as we don't need to copy the data from channel byte buffer to a new buffer needed by LEDscape, let LEDscape process it, then re-pack the LEDScape buffer to the format needed by the PRU, etc...  Basically, it can now go directly from the channel buffer to the needed PRU buffer for the 1/8 scan P10's and 1/16 scan P5's.   The result is SIGNIFICANTLY less CPU usage.   For a 9x6 matrix (using your example as a test), the CPU usage with NO networking going on drops from 50% down to about 15-20%.   This free's up the CPU to do other things, like network IO.  :)

I also did more work optimizing the PRU code.   The new code now uses both PRU's, one to load the data from main RAM and the other to output the data to the matrix.   This increases the refresh rate by about 10-15%.  Thus, they should appear brighter as well as less flicker, as well as supports longer panels.   That said, I've increased the "lower limit" of the refresh to slow things down a bit if the refresh would be "too fast".  This should help reduce some of the ghosting.  If it doesn't, I'd like to know and I would like to help figure that out.   (there are some hidden timing parameters that can be tweaked)

Regarding networking, the new image also has new network IO code which SHOULD help, particularly with the reduced CPU usage from above.   I added a DDP protocol (I know, LOR doesn't support that, but xLights will next release) and can pump 102400 channels (200 universes worth) from xLights into FPP with an error rate of under 0.1% using a 25ms sequence.  I haven't attempted e1.31 yet, but there definitely should be a large improvement there as well.   

The one thing I know isn't working yet are the 1/2 scan P10 panels.   The 1/4 scan and 1/8 scan should work (and the 1/16 and 1/8 scan P10's).  The 1/2 scan's are a bit weird and require a bit more updates.   

Anyway, hope to have a new image up shortly.   :)
Dan Kulp

Offline Ebuechner

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 12:44:40 PM »
i went back to the LEDVision software and the screen wouldnt light up at first, only lit when i went to intel settings, then i plugged the card directly into my laptop and the test screen also showed so i can display a pic on the screen. im so confused, lol
I found that If you don't set the receiver mapping page correctly in LEDvision it will do that.