Author Topic: Going from LOR to combo Falcon/LOR  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Drac

• Kudos: 0
Going from LOR to combo Falcon/LOR
« on: February 18, 2018, 05:53:22 PM »
Good day all,

Adding pixels to my current show Ive been running for a couple years.  Im going to change over my arches and roof line to pixels at first.  Then add other elements such as a Bethlehem Star and fans in the future.  Probably not going to do a mega tree as it would over well my show which is mostly shining elements.

Would like to control via Raspeberry Pi.  Studying up right now to get ready for the jump.

Drac

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 6
Re: Going from LOR to combo Falcon/LOR
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 06:24:33 PM »
What exactly are you looking for help with? Are you looking to run LOR A/C controllers off the F16v3 from FPP on a Pi?
Todd L.
Kimberly, WI

Falcon F16V3 F48, FPP, X-Lights, LOR, Pi 3B

Offline Drac

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 06:44:01 PM »
What exactly are you looking for help with? Are you looking to run LOR A/C controllers off the F16v3 from FPP on a Pi?

I think so.  I have 5 AC controllers.  They run of a LOR show controller.  I would like to add pixels to that but I been told that a Pi would control this setup better.

Drac

Offline Todd

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 08:05:45 PM »
I use a F16v3 and two LOR A/C controllers (have 7) in DMX mode run by FPP on a Pi3b. The first thing you need to do is make sure your LOR controllers have the correct firmware on them. Hook up your controller to your computer with the LOR USB dongle and open the LOR hardware utility. It will tell you what firmware you have on the controller. If it is not up to date enough you will need to update the firmware. The document link below lists the different LOR controllers and what firmware needs to be on them. The Upgrade firmware is on the LOR site under support tab, under product information. Look for firmware in the list. Go in and find the controller type you have. Plug in your controller and hook it up to your computer with the LOR USB dongle, go into the LOR hardware utility, find the controller with the hardware utility, select the firmware tab and download the correct firmware and update the firmware. Its pretty quick and pain less.

http://www.creativelightingdisplays.com/uploads/DMX-DOC.pdf

You will set your unit ID's to 1,2,3,4 and 5. Units 1-5 will be on whatever universe you decide and will be channels 1-80, unit 1 will be channels 1-16, unit 2, 17-32 and so on. I have mine on universe 50, with a DMX address channels of 1,2,3,4 and so on to32. It is set to use the F16v3 DMX2 output and you can daisy chain the LOR'S together just like you do in the "normal" LOR setup.

What sequencer are you using? I use xLights for mine and if you need assistance in getting it setup I should be able to help out. Getting the F16v3 and LOR to play well together is the first thing to do after the firmware by using the sequencer(xLights). Once you get this working controlling it with FPP and the Pi is pretty easy.

Offline Bill Ellick

• Kudos: 1
    • Long Lake Lights
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 02:45:06 AM »
I want to follow this thread as I am in the same "boat" with things!

I have 21 LOR controllers and have been using LOR since 2008 when I started so I have a lot of LED strings, blow molds, and other props that are AC that I need to set up in xLights!  I want to import my LOR sequences into xLights as well and then just "add on" pixels to the display as I go forward.

I am having a tough time getting a handle on xLights and setting up all these models and such right now though.  Seems like a lot of the videos out there are outdated and using older versions of xLights which makes it somewhat confusing when trying to follow doing some setup.  I really need some hand holding on getting things started in the basic setup for models, sub-models, and importing LOR into xLights I think!

Offline Todd

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 04:54:56 AM »
Let me add...If you run the LOR controllers in DMX mode, you DO NOT use the LOR USB dongle. You do need the dongle for any LOR firmware updates though so do not get rid of it. You plug an ethernet cable into the DMX output ( I use DMX #2, the middle one) on the F16v3 and plug directly into the first (#1) LOR controller and daisy chain from there with the remaining LOR controllers. Don't forget to change all three jumpers on the F16v3 to LOR on which ever DMX output you use.

From what I understand you can run a few LOR controllers off the dongle but there can be issues with doing that. It is easier, in the long run, to run them in DMX. Using the dongle limits the amount of controllers you can run and there can be a lag with the LOR controllers in the sequences. I do not believe there is a limit you can run in DMX mode.

Bill, unfortunately I did not import any of my LOR sequences into xLights. I only use 2 of my LOR controllers for my mini trees, the rest are collecting dust, so I just added them to the new pixel sequences I created in xLights. If you search Youtube for LOR to xLights videos, look for ones by John Storm, Andy Harrison or Clyde at Leechburg Lights they have really good info on this subject.

When i was trying to figure out the pieces to this puzzle I had it all hooked up in my garage last summer and kept changing settings in the F16v3 and xLights. I was always hopeful that something changed after I redid things. As things changed with the lights, some good, some bad, sometimes I went from them "kind of" working to not working at all. This way I could see if I was on the right track or not. Eventually I got things to start moving in the right direction and got everything working correctly. If it would help you out I can take screen shots of my set ups and post them for you. Most of my issues with the A/C lights was incorrect setup in xLights, not with the F16v3.

Offline Bill Ellick

• Long Lake Lights
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 07:51:15 AM »
Thanks, Todd.

Yes, I have been watching some of the videos from a bunch of folks but still being somewhat confused as the videos are on old versions of xLights it seems and the newer versions do things a bit different it seems so that gives me some questions that I have to sort out or apply to the newer versions.  It "appears" that most of them have set up their LOR controllers in DMX mode prior to changing over to xLights from most of the videos that I have seen but not all.  With sequences that have just under 300 channels of regular controller settings, I am just curious as to if it would be better if I redid the LOR sequences to run under DMX controller setup as well as getting the lights assigned to a better alignment of channels before I try to import to xLights.  Things like my 4 strings of LEDs for roof, windows, and doors can be under different controllers in LOR (I have my roof strings assigned to 3 different controllers due to adding things over time), so I thought that making the change to DMX channels and assigning the lights in a more sequential manner would make things easier to follow?

Pretty much just getting started though so it will take some time to get it sorted and applied to things as need be.

I can't afford to scrap all my LOR stuff or quite a few thousands of dollars of LED strings and start over at this point.  I like the AC stuff anyway and will keep it going along with getting pixels into the mix.

I am just trying to get xLights set up right in the beginning so that I won't have to go back and make major changes if I can help it!  Of course, we all know how that works out! LOL

Offline Todd

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 08:39:34 AM »
Remember with xLights you set up the controllers, universes, channels, props all prior to sequencing or importing.

Offline Bill Ellick

• Long Lake Lights
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 12:01:24 PM »
Well, this is another of the conflicting things that I keep finding!!!!  Have had others tell me the opposite of getting LOR over into xLights?  Sure makes it tough.

Offline Drac

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 06:06:06 PM »
Wow!

Got a lot to go through.  Thanks.  Will check these things out.

One sequencing software Ive been using LOR under the peer pressure (they treated bringing out a bat) and from very strong general consensus since Im adding pixels I have done loaded XLights.

Drac

Offline Todd

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 05:26:52 AM »
I used LOR for years. Did a LOR show for 10+ years. Still have the newest LOR software on my computer. Two years ago I decided to get into pixels. After researching... it seems the general consensus was xLights and Falcon were the way to go. Messed around with Vixen for a little but I like xLights better. xLights was a completely new learning curve when you are used to how LOR sequencing is. Baiscally forget how LOR S4 worked and get ready to relearn sequencing. But it's worth it.

Bought a F16v3 to add a mega tree. I started playing with the pixels right after Christmas 2016. Spent the rest of the year with trial and error using the hardware and software, putting together my mega tree. I still believe this was the best learning experience you can have in getting started. Try something to see if it works or not. As you go you will find out so much as to what makes this stuff work and how it works. The days when you say the hell with it and walk away because nothing is working right. Then the next day you sit down and start all over only to realize you missed something simple and stupid.

Then you decide to add more during the year, as I did. Bought an expansion board, differential receivers and F8 distro boards because I needed more power, too many pixels. Then you learn about power injection, not a big deal just a little more work in building enclosures. I like to have the control items near the props. This year I already purchase the F48, in process of purchasing 6,000 more pixels and the plan is to outline the house, windows and doors. I didn't decide to do the Falcon player/Raspberry Pi until late summer. That was the easiest part of the whole setup. I never played with a Pi before but the job Captain Murdoch and the rest of the FPP group do is awesome. The instructions under FPP for install and setup worked perfectly. Once installed the set up and schedule screens are easy to use. It worked flawlessly for me this year. The few issues I did have with it were self induced and not because of the program. These forums a priceless for getting information when you get stuck. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help you out.

Offline rwthib

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 10:16:35 AM »
Going to follow this as I move from LOR to combo

Offline PeteyHall

• Kudos: 3
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 12:21:31 PM »
Likewise, I moved from LOR hardware and software to falcon and xlights in 2016 and could never be happier.

Hardware choices are so much cheaper, support is so much better, and it really opens you up to a whole new world that LOR just cant support.

Biggest challenge was migrating all of my Sequence editor shows to XLights, but the hardware integrations were seamless.

After running 2016 with the mixed environment, I sold off all of my LOR stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online k6ccc

• Kudos: 4
    • Newburgh Lights
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 02:25:08 PM »
Sort of watching this thread.  Can someone answer me this.  I am a long time LOR user and have been running thousands of E1.31 channels via LOR for years.  I sequence everything in SuperStar.  I will fully admit that I have only glanced at xLights, but from everything I have seen, it is essentially Pixel Editor (or really the other way around).  I HATE Pixel Editor.  Can someone tell me why I want to go to xLights?  I currently have no plans on switching, just wondering.  BTW, I have asked this question in various places several times over the past couple years, and NO ONE has been able to come up with a reason any better than "It's better" - without any explanation of what's better.

Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
Jim

Offline Dennis Laff

• Kudos: 2
  • Retired Machinist
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 02:50:56 PM »
Well for one X-lights has more effects at the moment and it was able to Handel many more channels before lor started to catch up, easier to map channels before pixel editor .