Author Topic: Looking for an FM Transmitter  (Read 979 times)

Offline ubotbuddy

• Kudos: 0
Looking for an FM Transmitter
« on: February 23, 2018, 06:23:12 PM »
I am starting VERY early this year and I want to find an FM Transmitter that has great quality, not difficult to setup and does not require an soldering.

I bought a VAST transmitter a couple of years ago and I could not get the sucker to work even with a FM radio sitting next to it.

I don't want cheap (but reasonable).  I want to my show to sound decent and be free of static and black holes of nothing.

So what FM Transmitter are you proud of?

Thanks

Buddy

Offline Bill Ellick

• Kudos: 1
    • Long Lake Lights
Re: Looking for an FM Transmitter
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 02:06:30 AM »
There are many varieties out there for transmitters nowadays it seems ranging from a few dollars on up.

I personally am running an EDM that I have had since 2008 and it still works great.  It is going to cost but you do get what you pay for and in this case, I have to say that I consider mine "money well spent"!

You do have to solder the power connector inside the unit but it is a very simple thing to do or you could certainly find a friend to do a 2 minute soldering job for you on it.
You will probably find that many of the options that are being used will require some form of soldering or modification as it really is a part of this hobby to some extent.

Just seems that the whole house transmitters are a hit or miss with range and signal quality from what others have posted about them.  I can say that the EDM has a great range and signal from my experience with it.  Mine does not have the RDS feature but since it is still working great, I can't see spending money on another one yet!

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 05:25:03 AM »
I've used this analog connected for tuner and was very happy with it. You'll see these transmitters marketed under different names, but the guts are likely very similar.

Signstek 0.5 W 05B Dual Mode Long Range Stereo Broadcast Home FM Transmitter with Antenna and Free Audio Cable Fashion Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CM2VPMQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_iyvKAbMWBW7JQ

I currently use a Vast FM-212 tuner, which is all digital connected via usb.  When used with a Pi it had a sound issue (robot voice occasionally which no one knows yet exactly how to correct), so i use it with a beaglebone black and it's perfectly clear.  I'm not sure how well the vast is supported, but I've learned enough in the forums to tweek setup so it works well. Not sure who currently sells them though.  Price is around $100, but i got a great deal on one, which is the only reason i bought one a couple years back.

http://www.vastint.com/en-us/products/usb-rds-low-power-fm-transmitter-v-fmt212r

The EDM is the highest priced one, but everyone who has one typically has nothing but good things to say about them. I Believe they are all connected via analog connections. Price starts around $130-140.  I've not owned one as price put me off.

Offline mmais68569

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 06:14:57 AM »
I have used this one for the last 5 yrs.
https://mobileblackbox.com/

Just remember to keep computer volume turned down to about 35. For some reason more then that & the FM transmitter does not like it.
Mike

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 57
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 09:01:43 AM »
Another vote for this one as a reasonably priced but effective unit.

Signstek 0.5 W 05B Dual Mode Long Range Stereo Broadcast Home FM Transmitter with Antenna and Free Audio Cable Fashion Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CM2VPMQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_iyvKAbMWBW7JQ
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline plaberge

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 4
    • Laberge Christmas Lights
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 04:11:12 PM »
Another vote for this one as a reasonably priced but effective unit.

Me too. I've used this one for three years. Works great!
Paul.
Halfmoon Bay, BC

Offline ubotbuddy

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 08:57:31 PM »
Excellent

I like the consensous. 

Thanks everyone.

Buddy

Offline goverland

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 04:32:32 AM »
2017 was my first year and love my Vast.  Everyone remarked how clean and clear the music was and even with the antenna sitting in the garage on the floor.  The range coverage was excellent also.

Offline ubotbuddy

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 01:21:20 PM »
I just ordered the Signstek 0.5 W 05B Dual Mode Long Range Stereo Broadcast Home FM Transmitter

Reviews were pretty good.  Question, will it come with a cable to connect to my computer or will I have to track one down?

Thanks

Buddy

Offline aclarksr

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 05:46:33 PM »
Amazon description indicates audio cable is included.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kryptic

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2018, 04:01:54 PM »
Here is what I just bought its cheap and had lots of others from the forums give it a
decent rating

Offline 1983ss454

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 07:15:45 PM »
Amazon description indicates audio cable is included.

Same one Ive had for the last 3 years, 0 complaints. Its been powered up and setup since I first got it. I use it to run my stereo outside doing lawn work all year