Author Topic: Controlling Moving Head from PiCap  (Read 552 times)

Offline jem5136

• Kudos: 0
    • Lights of the Night
Controlling Moving Head from PiCap
« on: March 01, 2018, 07:53:50 PM »
I know the PiCap can output DMX through the RJ45 cap, I haven't tested it yet but I know it's possible.

So what I'm trying to do is control a Moving Head with the RJ45. The moving heads I purchased use the 3-pin XLR cable, and I saw a video a couple weeks ago about how to convert Cat5 to XLR. I am wondering if I can use the Cat5 to XLR converter (link below).  Note: I don't mind cutting down a Cat5 and XLR cable to create my own crossover cable, but if I can get by with using this converter, I'll do it.

Converter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073QQPFMX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Does anyone know or have experience with this cable and if it'll work with the standard 3-pin XLR?

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 9
Re: Controlling Moving Head from PiCap
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 01:38:39 PM »
you can also get RJ-45 plug to XLR adapter. It just depends on your use case and distance from the controller.

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 07:16:18 PM »
The first head will be roughly 6(ish) feet from the controller. I ordered the cable and I'll play around with it to see if it'll work or not. I'll post what I find, i'm sure it can be used with other DMX devices (granted it does work).

Offline jem5136

• Lights of the Night
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2018, 09:16:50 AM »
I've finally had some time to play with these lights, and it turns out the adapter I was using wasn't working (different pin-out is what I'm assuming). So I took to Amazon again to look for another, and came across this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KUTZW3Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This adapter works perfectly! I sequenced a short song, just with the moving heads, and everything has been working flawlessly. Here is how I have everything running (simply for testing) and how I'll have it set up during the display (which I've tested and proven to work without an issue).

Test: Computer output via xLights ----> FPP (Bridge mode, output DMX via PiCap) ----> Cat5 (From PiCap) to Adapter ----> Adapter (plugged directly into) ----> Moving Head ----> XLR Cable ----> Moving Head

Show Time: FPP (remote mode, output DMX via PiCap) ----> Cat5 (From PiCap) to Adapter ----> Adapter (plugged directly into) ----> Moving Head ----> XLR Cable ----> Moving Head
[/size]
[/size]Both set ups seem to be working without an issue. I am using my home network instead of the display network, but that will be the only change between the set-ups. Now, here is a short video of the sequence I created just to play around with the moving heads. Note- I used the smoke to show the "beam" of the lights, otherwise they would be harder to see.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xmL65yE1WQ
[/size]

Offline patdelaney

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 9
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2018, 12:40:29 PM »
good work!

Offline michaelc

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 06:39:59 AM »
Can you tell me your output settings on the FPP.  Specifically how you configured the 'other' tab to get the DMX on the RJ45.  I am having similar issues but know my crossover cable is fine.  I think I messed up the settings somewhere.  Also if I have say Universe 1 outputing to my moving heads, do I also need to put Universe 1 on the main E1.31 output tab in addition to the "OTHER" tab?