Author Topic: RS485 Diff Questions.... Advanced questions and possible tricks  (Read 696 times)

Offline jshults

• Kudos: 0
The DIFF ports on Falcon boards are using RS485 2 Wire config.
I've used this in industrial and other situations and it's very useful and powerful.

Has anyone used one DIFF port to drive multiple receivers boards ? The protocol allows for chaining.
I wanted to use ONE DIFF output to drive identical devices at different locations via daisy chaining them.
This would save a lot of channels and ports and cabling.....

Has anyone run LONG length cables to the DIFF receivers? The SPEC says up to 4000 FT depending on data speed sent.

Comments >??>????

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 75
Re: RS485 Diff Questions.... Advanced questions and possible tricks
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 03:46:46 AM »
The DIFF ports on Falcon boards are using RS485 2 Wire config.
I've used this in industrial and other situations and it's very useful and powerful.

Has anyone used one DIFF port to drive multiple receivers boards ? The protocol allows for chaining.
I wanted to use ONE DIFF output to drive identical devices at different locations via daisy chaining them.
This would save a lot of channels and ports and cabling.....

Has anyone run LONG length cables to the DIFF receivers? The SPEC says up to 4000 FT depending on data speed sent.

Comments >??>????

The chips in expansion boards are actually RS-422 compliant. You can connect approx. 10 devices in parallel. The max distance is about 300ft as the data is about 2Mbps.
PixelController, LLC
PixelController.com

Offline arw01

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 08:07:59 AM »
Do they make some sort of "hub" for this type of chaining?  Be curious for my 1-wire to have something more official.

Offline aknflyer

• Kudos: 4
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 10:17:03 PM »

The chips in expansion boards are actually RS-422 compliant. You can connect approx. 10 devices in parallel. The max distance is about 300ft as the data is about 2Mbps.

This is interesting. It might fit my application. How do you differentiate the boards? I dont recall an address for the boards.

Offline David Pitts

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 75
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 01:57:31 AM »

This is interesting. It might fit my application. How do you differentiate the boards? I dont recall an address for the boards.

You don't differentiate. The original poster wanted the receivers to mimic each other.