Author Topic: New "master" BBB image uploaded  (Read 862 times)

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 69
New "master" BBB image uploaded
« on: March 11, 2018, 01:34:25 AM »

I just uploaded a new image for the BBB to http://dankulp.com/bbb

There are a few noteworthy changes:
1) Switched back to Apache from NGINX.   This SHOULD fix the 2GB file upload issue.   We could not figure out how to get nginx/php to upload large files, but they seem to work fine with Apache

2) Latest OS updates installed

3) Bunch of new Wifi drivers, several wifi cards that didn't work previously may work.  If not, do an "lsusb" from the command line and send me the output.  An amazon link to the adapter would also be useful.  That said, the Linux kernel has drivers for some additional cards, but we currently blacklist them as the Realtek drivers are generally more stable.   I may add an option on the Network page to allow flipping back and forth between drivers.  This included drivers for adapters using rtl8192cu (most of the 300Mbit adapters), rtl8723au, rtl8723bu, rtl8812au, and rtl8814au.   

Dan Kulp

Offline brichi

• Kudos: 1
Re: New "master" BBB image uploaded
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 08:01:29 AM »
thats awesome Dan, I should be able to test out later, Is the same coming to the Pi3 also soon and I can test the upload on that too? Thanks for the quick updates as always!

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 08:47:15 AM »
thats awesome Dan, I should be able to test out later, Is the same coming to the Pi3 also soon and I can test the upload on that too? Thanks for the quick updates as always!

I believe Chris is working on getting Apache back in on the Pi.   That's the important change.   Not sure on the rest.   Wifi for the Pi is slightly different as you can generally go to Amazon and search for Raspberry Pi wifi adapter and find ones that are supported out of the box.   Not so for beaglebones.   (although if it's supported on the Pi, it's supported on the BBB).  I've had several people mention they purchased "cheapest" cards they could find on Amazon and not have them work.   I purchased a few (I think I now have 6 USB wifi adapters on my desk) that people have mentioned that I've been trying to get working.   Part of it is trying to find an adapter that will work in the 5ghz range.   For those with crowded wifi, I'd like to at least have an option for 5ghz. 

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 181
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 12:08:09 AM »

I believe Chris is working on getting Apache back in on the Pi.   That's the important change.

I will try to get one out in the next couple days.

On a related note, I spent a little time recently playing around with qemu and can actually boot the unmodified Pi SD image up on a couple of my dev x86_64 systems under qemu using a special ARM kernel passed to qemu.  It works well enough to play around with the OS and apps, including FPP and definitely beats having to re-image the SD card over and over to test tweaks on a clean image.  The qemu 'raspi2' support still doesn't support USB which means no networking, so instead I'm booting the Pi SD image using the vexpress-a15 model emulation with virtual dual-core cortex-a15 cpu and using a compatible 4.4.1 kernel.  That is mainly for a smoke test, most testing is still on several Pi's.
-
Chris

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 34
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 09:24:18 AM »

Version Info
FPP Version:v2.x-master-509-g338042bf
FPP OS Build:v2.0alpha
OS Version:Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Kernel Version:4.14.13-ti-r25

Hi Dan, this image build is failing for me when I try to "Flash to eMMC".   
I know it was working on an earlier v2.x-master image (possibly the ones with the v1.9 OS build?).   But now it fails with the following error:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Checking that no-one is using this disk right now ... OK

Disk /dev/mmcblk1: 3.7 GiB, 3925868544 bytes, 7667712 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x92fdbb4c

Old situation:
Device         Boot Start     End Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/mmcblk1p1       8192 7667711 7659520  3.7G 83 Linux

>>> Created a new DOS disklabel with disk identifier 0x39aca5c3.
/dev/mmcblk1p1: Created a new partition 1 of type 'Linux' and of size 3.7 GiB.
Partition #1 contains a ext4 signature.
/dev/mmcblk1p2: Done.

New situation:
Device         Boot Start     End Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/mmcblk1p1       8192 7667711 7659520  3.7G 83 Linux

The partition table has been altered.
Calling ioctl() to re-read partition table.
Syncing disks.
blockdev: ioctl error on BLKRRPART: Device or resource busy
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 09:35:38 AM by pixelpuppy »
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / homemade controllers for everything else

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 12:06:56 PM »
PixelPuppy - isn't that the Pi load, not BB - or do they share the same updates?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 12:13:53 PM by Sawdust »

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 12:21:54 PM »
PixelPuppy - isn't that the Pi load, not BB - or do they share the same updates?
The SD image loads, which contain the OS ("OS Version"), are platform specific (Debian for the BBB and Raspbian for the Pi). 
The FPP software updates ("FPP Version")are shared across platforms

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 12:41:09 PM »

I just tried it on two separate BBB's and it worked OK.    Can you try again?

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 12:59:27 PM »

Actually, there IS a bug, but it's after that point.    The PHP page is timing out after 5mins.    That's going to require another image update.   :(

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 01:03:22 PM »

I tried on a new BBB and it worked.   I have 2 others with the same problem.  I'm not sure if it has something to do with having already doing it once before or ... more likely.... these where ones that I interrupted a previous attempt because NGINX was timing out with only a blank screen.

So right now I'm manually trying to fdisk the emmc in hopes to clear or reset it back.  I'm very rusty in this area so I'm relying on google for the fdisk commands.  :-[  If you can me toss a few "correct" commands (to reset/repartiion/reformat for emmc) that could speed things up for me   8)

Offline pixelpuppy

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 01:12:10 PM »
Actually, there IS a bug, but it's after that point.    The PHP page is timing out after 5mins.    That's going to require another image update.   :(

Are you talking about the end of the flash where its trying to remove folders and it just seems to hang there?  Yeah I ran into that earlier as well. THAT may be what got me into this current situation.  ::)

Offline drlucas

• Developer
  • Kudos: 3
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 06:56:56 PM »
Issue with a Realtek driver... I am not able to see wlan0 - thoughts on what might be going on?

fpp@FPP-2:~/Realtek-rtl8811AU_8812AU_8821AU_linux-source-code$ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:c811 Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B078MHKFJ9/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just uploaded a new image for the BBB to http://dankulp.com/bbb

There are a few noteworthy changes:
1) Switched back to Apache from NGINX.   This SHOULD fix the 2GB file upload issue.   We could not figure out how to get nginx/php to upload large files, but they seem to work fine with Apache

2) Latest OS updates installed

3) Bunch of new Wifi drivers, several wifi cards that didn't work previously may work.  If not, do an "lsusb" from the command line and send me the output.  An amazon link to the adapter would also be useful.  That said, the Linux kernel has drivers for some additional cards, but we currently blacklist them as the Realtek drivers are generally more stable.   I may add an option on the Network page to allow flipping back and forth between drivers.  This included drivers for adapters using rtl8192cu (most of the 300Mbit adapters), rtl8723au, rtl8723bu, rtl8812au, and rtl8814au.
Ryan

Offline dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 05:49:29 AM »

I have a rtl8812au driver installed, but maybe needs a different one?
Are you good with Linux command line?   Can you try: (as root)
Code: [Select]
cd /opt/
git clone https://github.com/gnab/rtl8812au.git
cd rtl8812au
# edit the Makefile using nano Makefile to make CONFIG_PLATFORM_I386_PC=n and CONFIG_PLATFORM_ARM_RPI=y
make
make install
echo "options 8822au rtw_power_mgnt=0" >> /etc/modprobe.d/wifi-disable-power-management.conf

then reboot and see if it works.  I can add that driver for the next set of images.