Author Topic: Who will be the first to get/test a RasPi3B+  (Read 927 times)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 111
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
Who will be the first to get/test a RasPi3B+
« on: March 14, 2018, 08:27:06 AM »
Fully announced on Pi Day (March 14).

Seems to address the comments I've seen most often - slow Ethernet, slow WiFi, no 5ghz WiFi
Faster processing due to addition of a heat spreader, but that hasn't been a big deal for FPP

Offline gadgetsmith

• Kudos: 14
Re: Who will be the first to get/test a RasPi3B+
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 09:07:04 AM »
Integrated Gigabit ethernet (even if over usb) will be nice for those driving colorlight cards. No need for a usb gigabit adapter.

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 182
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 09:50:21 AM »
Happy Pi day!  (3/14)

Just a warning to anyone ordering one of these, the new Pi will require a new SD image because it needs a newer firmware and kernel due to the CPU and ethernet change.  There are currently no plans to update the existing (Raspbian Wheezy based) FPP v1.8 SD image kernel and firmware to support the new Pi, so you will need to run the FPP v2.0 Alpha SD image if you want to play with a new Pi 3 B+.

I just checked before uploading the latest Pi Stretch image and didn't see a new one available, so I built with the old, then a day later they come out with a new Pi and new Raspbian SD image. :)

I will get a newer Pi Stretch SD image uploaded in the next day or so in case anyone was up early enough to get one of the new Pi 3 B+ on order.
-
Chris

Offline gadgetsmith

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 10:31:08 AM »
I purchased one from Canakit as it should make a P5 installation much easier by eliminating the need for a separate switch and usb dongle.  So far the new Alpha image is doing what I need it to do for an April 18 and 19th drama club performance!  Needless to say i'll be working with it a lot in the coming month or so...

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 02:54:34 PM »
I purchased one from Canakit

I thought about that and had one in my cart, but the $13 shipping deterred me. :)  I can wait...  I don't need a new Pi 3 B+ to update the FPP image to support that Pi.  I will pick up a couple once the mad rush dies down.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 03:47:47 PM by CaptainMurdoch »

Offline gadgetsmith

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 03:07:28 PM »
I purchased one from Canakit

I thought about that and had one in my card, but the $13 shipping deterred me. :)  I can wait...  I don't need a new Pi 3 B+ to update the FPP image to support that Pi.  I will pick up a couple once the mad rush dies down.
Yea, i hear ya. I'm either gonna need a ~$10 usb gigabit adapter, or a $15 switch, so it's pretty close to a wash, but the principle of it all still bothers me.

Offline gadgetsmith

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 12:54:38 PM »

Just a warning to anyone ordering one of these, the new Pi will require a new SD image because it needs a newer firmware and kernel due to the CPU and ethernet change. 

I will get a newer Pi Stretch SD image uploaded in the next day or so in case anyone was up early enough to get one of the new Pi 3 B+ on order.

The Pi3 B+ arrived today.  Threw the new image on there and presto... up and going.  I'll just be using this to run the 4, 512x32 matrix panels, and so far, this setup is doing wonderfully at that.  Thanks for getting this new image out there!

Charlie

Offline k6ccc

• Kudos: 3
    • Newburgh Lights
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 02:06:04 PM »
I'll just be using this to run the 4, 512x32 matrix panels, and so far, this setup is doing wonderfully at that.

On first read, I missed the space after the comma.  I thought that was a four thousand, five hundred twelve x 32 panel.  The photo made it more obvious!
Using LOR (mostly SuperStar) for all sequencing - using FPP only to drive P5 and P10 panels.
Jim

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 02:59:02 PM »
The Pi3 B+ arrived today.  Threw the new image on there and presto... up and going.

Great, thanks for reporting back.  I think it's the first time we've had the image ready before anyone had the hardware. :)

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 111
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 08:28:47 PM »

The Pi3 B+ arrived today.  Threw the new image on there and presto... up and going.  I'll just be using this to run the 4, 512x32 matrix panels, and so far, this setup is doing wonderfully at that.  Thanks for getting this new image out there!

Charlie

You are using two ColorLight boards instead of a single board? It is encouraging that you didn't need a Gbit switch in the mix.

Offline gadgetsmith

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 02:06:02 PM »

Charlie

You are using two ColorLight boards instead of a single board? It is encouraging that you didn't need a Gbit switch in the mix.
Yes, two panels will be on one side of a stage, the other two panels will be ~25 ft away on the other side.  These cards are designed to daisy chain, so I'm glad they work as I expected.  Haven't tested with the 25ft cat cable between the cards but don't think that would be an issue, but now that you've got me thinking of it, better try that too!  Never can be too cautious. 🤔

Offline Bshaver

• Developer
  • Kudos: 22
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 02:23:49 PM »
And the fact that the ethernet on the new PI is GBIT - You can direct attach!!
Denver Colorado
45,000 blinky blinks mix of pixels and 130 AC Channels (powered by Minleon & Lynx) ALL Powered by FPP and Falcon!