Author Topic: P5 panels 5x4 BBB Octoscroller  (Read 974 times)

Offline alindo01

• Kudos: 0
P5 panels 5x4 BBB Octoscroller
« on: March 19, 2018, 02:41:45 PM »
Hi folks,

I'm a super a noob but I have embarked in a journey to get a show working this Christmas. Most of my props will be standard stuff but I do want to build a 20 panel 5x4 P5 panel matrix. So far I have 10 panels connected to BBB/Octoscroller via Ethernet Eth0 in Bridge mode and the lag is pretty awful. I've tried 2 (Octo) ports with 8 and 2 panels, and tried 5 (Octo) ports with 2 panels each but there is no improvement. Does anyone have a 20 P5 64x32 1/16 working decently? Is OCTO the best way or Colorlight 5B-75? I cant say that I've found a post yet where any has it working well.

Online dkulp

• Kudos: 87
    • KulpLights.com
Re: P5 panels 5x4 BBB Octoscroller
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 03:06:33 PM »

What branch BBB image are you using?   Are you using the latest "master" image?

Also, what are you using for the sequencer?  xLights?

You have 240 universes of data.   That's a LOT to be running via e1.31, especially if using 25ms sequences.    With matrices that size, it's strongly recommended to not run in bridge mode and instead use remote mode.     If using the latest xLights, you can use DDP instead of e1.31 and cut the network traffic down by about 20% or so, but it's still going to be a lot.

If using Colorlight or linsn, you still need to get the data to a Pi or BBB to then translate to the Colorlight/linsn output.   Thus, you still have 240 universes to get into the BBB so it's likely not going to change anything.   Again, Remote mode.   

Offline alindo01

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 03:36:24 PM »
WOW! never though I would get a reply from the MAN the LEGEND :) Thank you Dan. I'll double check but I'm sure it was the "Master" image. Yes, xLights is what I'm using. Is DPP configured the same way? I'll try using remote mode tonight. You are right, I crashed my home router last night and I had a hunch it was because of the excessive e1.31 traffic.

Do you know if there is a better way of pushing those 240 universes? or scaling down to 5x2 is the only option at the moment?

Thanks again

Online dkulp

• Kudos: 87
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 03:47:02 PM »
WOW! never though I would get a reply from the MAN the LEGEND :) Thank you Dan. I'll double check but I'm sure it was the "Master" image. Yes, xLights is what I'm using. Is DPP configured the same way? I'll try using remote mode tonight. You are right, I crashed my home router last night and I had a hunch it was because of the excessive e1.31 traffic.

Do you know if there is a better way of pushing those 240 universes? or scaling down to 5x2 is the only option at the moment?

Remote mode is definitely the preferred way for running the show.   A couple of small packets per second instead of 240*20.   For general testing, you would definitely do better in DDP as DDP is about 20-25% more efficient than e.131.  It also has a built in "sync" so the full frame will show immediately instead of some of the choppy/tearing.  DDP is easier to configure than e1.31.  For the most part, don't configure ANY input universes in FPP.   They aren't needed.    In xLights, create a DDP output, give it the appropriate ip address, and tell it the starting channel and number of channels.  That's it.   When FPP goes into bridge mode, it automatically brings up the DDP port so you don't need to configure anything. 

Anyway, since you are using xLights, it's definitely worth giving DDP a try.

Offline scotts

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2018, 09:20:21 PM »
Is DDP active in all the revision released this year.  i have been trying to get it to work with no success so far.

Offline scotts

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 04:53:57 PM »
Never mind.  it works in the latest version.