Author Topic: F16/xLights Trouble with my Mega Tree... Channel Config Problems  (Read 575 times)

Offline TastyHamSandwich

• Kudos: 0
  • Big ideas, small hands
    • Jolt Lighting
So I am trying to develop a master setup/layout that I can duplicate for any given client, that requires minimal reconfiguration to match whatever hardware a client purchases. For the Mega Trees in my layout, I've decided it makes the most sense to start the first tree at ch513 (u2, ch1), as universe 1 is reserved for A/C controller channels.

Anyways, we will be offering several different sizes of mega tree, all with 16 legs, but each leg could vary between 21 pixels to 90 pixels each, or sometimes even 100. Since 100 pixels is the largest size, I figured I'd start the first leg at 513, and each successive leg 300 channels later, to account for the largest possible size: 513, 813, 1113, 1413, etc, all the way out to 5013 for leg 16, ending at 5312. Tree 2 would then begin at 5313 and continue on, all the way out to four trees total.

I'm only messing with one tree defined in the layout right now, 513-5312, with matching Port settings on the F16v3. Each string on the controller is defined at 100 pixels. My past experience tells me that this is fine, and needn't match the exact string length settings in xlights or the reality of the tree; if the tree is defined at 90 pixels in xlights, and the tree has 90 pixels each, it will get 90 pixels worth of data starting at the start channel of that leg, and the extra non-existent pixels will be of no consequence.

I've got 11 E1.31 universes defined on my Setup tab, unicast to the board IP, 512 channels each, covering channels 1-5632. The F16 has matching E1.31 settings, defined at 512 channels each, out to 32 universes.

All of this configuration seems just fine to me. I can run board test patterns without issue, but in xLights, the tree does not respond when I'm outputting an effect to it. On the Test screen, I can get some kind of response from the pixels, but it doesn't seem like it is behaving as it should here: Sometimes the lights come on when I turn on the model, or the e1.31 universes, but many of the light pattern Functions don't seem to work, especially the RGB/RGB Cycle screens, and the pixels dont always turn off when I close the Test screen.

Sure, they dont always turn off when I uncheck a model or e1.31 output, but I'm sure it is because they aren't issued an "All Off" command, and they hold their last frame. Every time I've ever closed the Test window, the lights that have been left on will shut off... I'm sure there is an "on window close" event coded there to issue the All Off command, or something, but even this doesn't always happen when I close the window.

I know I've gone on and on here, and I hope I haven't confused or muddled my point or what I'm trying to describe. I am just at a loss as to what I am doing wrong. I see absolutely no reason why I should be having trouble by skipping channels between outputs... I'm going back to keep fiddling with it, but if anyone has any insights, I would be greatly appreciative of them. Thanks.

Attached are screenshots of my xLights Setup tab, Layout tab, and my F16's config pages, both E1.31 settings and String Port settings.

Offline TastyHamSandwich

• Kudos: 0
  • Big ideas, small hands
    • Jolt Lighting
Re: F16/xLights Trouble with my Mega Tree... Channel Config Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 09:01:08 AM »
So, I ended up converting everything to Universe/Start Channel pairs, for the starting channel locations configured in xLights, and everything seemed to be totally happy - things now work as I expected them to, and I even bumped it up to 750 channel spacing, and it was still perfectly happy. I don't know why it would fight me when given absolute channels, but be okay with uni/ch pairs. Maybe someone else knows, but it ain't me right now.