Author Topic: F16v3 and 4-String differential board setup question  (Read 604 times)

Offline Scottishsurfer

• Kudos: 0
    • My light show website
F16v3 and 4-String differential board setup question
« on: April 16, 2018, 07:02:57 PM »
i have my 4 string differential receiver board connected to my f16v3 via dmx 1.  I have configured all 4 ports to be pixeldata on the serial settings page.  My question is, should a new string port appear dynamically after I connect the board to my f16v3?  I cannot seem to manually add one. (That wouldnt make sense anyway).

The manual (in section 4.2.4.1) talks about main board + expansion, but I dont have an expansion board.  I just have the f16v3 and the 4 string differential board.  What do I select?  All the videos I could find were to setup using F16v2 which looks completely different setup.  If I do select main board + expansion ... nah, that doesnt sound right.

Help appreciated.

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 57
Re: F16v3 and 4-String differential board setup question
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 08:37:34 PM »
If you select main plus expansion - even though you don't have and expansion board, you will see 16 more string ports.  But the differential receiver will only give you 4 more string ports.  So just ports 17 - 20 and ignore the rest.  I've done that for the last two years.  You need to specify the expansion board so the the firmware will allocate the appropriate memory to allow you to have 20 total string ports.  At least that is my understanding.  If you do not specify that you have the expansion then no memory is allocated for additional ports and you only get 16 ports.  To go beyond 20 ports you MUST have the expansion board.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline Scottishsurfer

• My light show website
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 11:21:09 PM »
That makes sense.  I just wanted to double check that I was setting it up correctly.  As always - U rock.

Offline Scottishsurfer

• My light show website
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 11:34:54 PM »
Just as a follow up, selecting main board + expansion allowed me to select ports 17,18,19,and 20.

Setup new universes, mapped to fpp, created sequence, working perfectly.

Offline LOUIS

• Kudos: 2
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 03:55:42 AM »

Hi
There is a topic on this forum "Expansion board plus DMX1 receiver connect" started ky MCHEDWARDS on october 11th 2017 you can find it on page 8, a very interesting discussion

I copy here an answer from Delplanche,
"The string ports that you can use on a differential receiver connected to a DMX serial port are limited to those which you have defined on your "String Ports" tab.  You don't get "extra" ports by connecting the differential receiver to the DMX port.  So if you have a main board only, for example, you can define 16 string ports, 4 of which can be used on the differential receiver connected to the DMX port.  Any of those 4 ports will have the same data that is output on the main board.  Both will be active and identical.  Likewise, if you have an expansion board, you get to define 32 string ports total.  Any 4 of those can be used on a differential expansion on the DMX port.  Again, the ports on that will have the same information as on the main/expansion board."

You can read all the topic it will gives you, as it did for me, a clear idea on the subject, especially end of page 2 Delplanche gives a precise description of the settings and results

Best regards from France

Alain

« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 04:03:54 AM by LOUIS »