Author Topic: P10 panels 6x6 BBB Octoscroller led intensity control not linear  (Read 615 times)

Offline scotts

• Kudos: 0
I have been noticing a problem with my setup.  running FPP in test mode using fill control.  If i adjust the fill all the way down to 0 and then step up the intensity one value at a time all the way to 255 the brightness of the display is not linear.  a value of 2 if brighter than a value of 3 for example.  Also when setting to a value of one the display is noisy.  for a value of 2 it is not.  if a change to 7 or 6 bit modes the display reacts differently.  in fact in 7 bit mode you can kinda mask out the problem but each step will not produce a different brightness as you would expect.  If you configure the brightness control to a value of 1 lets say well then the display reacts in very strange ways with regards to brightness steps from 1 to 255.  This reduces the detail in the display and makes things look bad when displaying mp4 video files.  I am wondering if anyone else has the same problem.

Offline AAH

• Kudos: 19
  • Blinky blinky blinky
    • I love blinky lights
Re: P10 panels 6x6 BBB Octoscroller led intensity control not linear
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 01:30:18 AM »
What version of FPP are you running?

Offline scotts

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 05:06:10 AM »
fpp-bbb-902-beta-20180118

Offline scotts

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 04:52:22 PM »
I installed the latest image into the BBB.  love all the added features for P10 panels.  The noisiness that i experienced is gone except for a value of 1 put into "single channel patterns" "test value" with the "fill mode".  the linearity brightness problem is less of a factor but it is still there.  If you were to plot a brightness curve from a value of 0 to 255 it would contain ripples.  a value of 1 is one brightness and a value of 2 is either the same or less... a value of 3 is then more.  The same result happens if you use DDP in Xlights and then go to test and set the value there for the DDP port.  Could this be a timing thing with the $11 P10 panels i bought from Ray Wu's?

Also Love the panel gamma adjust.  you really need that to improve picture quality.  What is the new "panel interleave" feature for?