Author Topic: F4V3 Board how do I connect it  (Read 1334 times)

Offline kryptic

• Kudos: 1
F4V3 Board how do I connect it
« on: May 04, 2018, 05:42:47 PM »
Hi everyone I just received my new F4V3 board and, im not sure what to do with it. How do I connect it to FPP does it not require a Micro Sd card like my falcon Pi Cap I havent found any videos on how to connect everything on the board to the FPP and utilize Xlights for sequencing, I am a newb still this will be my first year having pixels on the house outline and I also want to connect some arches and maybe a snowman only time will tell. The video for the F16 boards talk about connecting it using a rasberry Pi and I dont know if thats used through the ethernet on my F4V3 board using the cat5 to the Rasberry Pi or how, if I use the cat5  for that then there would be no network for either my Pi or the F4V3. Anyone have one of these and have it connected please share the process.

Thanks in advance for all the help thus far.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 13
Re: F4V3 Board how do I connect it
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 07:43:14 PM »
Have you looked at the manual? (Go to Pixelcontroller.com and select the F4V3 from the controllers available.  The manual is listed at the bottom of the writeup.)

Basically:
1.  Your incoming E1.31 goes into one of the two silver RJ45s (marked Eth0 and Eth1).  You can come directly from the FP, or if you are using more than one controller, through a standard switch.  The switch provides you access by both the FP and your computer at the same time.
2.  Your pixels connect to the 4 outputs (marked S1, S2, S3 and S4). 
3.  Your power supply is connected to the green screw terminal at the bottom right (marked V and GND).  Be sure to connect it properly.  Also, check to make sure that the power jumpers are set for your power supply (12v is to the left, 5v is to the right. Both jumpers.)

After the board boots, the IP address will show on the OLED.  Use a standard browser to connect to that IP address from your computer.  The manual is quite good when it comes to explaining all of this.
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline kryptic

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 09:33:20 PM »
I read that manual but I wasn't sure how the Pi would get a internet connection sent to it if it was connected to the F4V3 on the ethernet port, that is were im lost. I see where it refers to a switch but im not sure if that is a builtin switch or a switch is required that I have yet to purchase. i know how the power works, how to connect and sequence the strings all of that I am somewhat familiar with, because I already have a Ras Pi b3 with a Falcon Pi Cap on it thats running pixels. Are you reffering to a  Ethernet Port Switch like a 4 port network switch ? Then plug the port into the Pi which would give me 3 ports to then hook up the F4V3 to one of the ports.
Have you looked at the manual? (Go to Pixelcontroller.com and select the F4V3 from the controllers available.  The manual is listed at the bottom of the writeup.)

Basically:
1.  Your incoming E1.31 goes into one of the two silver RJ45s (marked Eth0 and Eth1).  You can come directly from the FP, or if you are using more than one controller, through a standard switch.  The switch provides you access by both the FP and your computer at the same time.
2.  Your pixels connect to the 4 outputs (marked S1, S2, S3 and S4). 
3.  Your power supply is connected to the green screw terminal at the bottom right (marked V and GND).  Be sure to connect it properly.  Also, check to make sure that the power jumpers are set for your power supply (12v is to the left, 5v is to the right. Both jumpers.)

After the board boots, the IP address will show on the OLED.  Use a standard browser to connect to that IP address from your computer.  The manual is quite good when it comes to explaining all of this.

3.1.1. E1.31/Artnet (Ethernet Connectors) The F4v3 controller receives E1.31/Artnet data on the Ethernet Connectors on the upper left side of the controller (Figures 1-1 and 3-1). This is what would be connected to the Ethernet port on the device that is controlling your show, which is typically a computer or FPP.

Figure 3-1: Ethernet Connectors The two ports are connected via a switch so that data is passed on to the next device when the controller is powered. While either of the two Ethernet connectors (ETH0 or ETH1) can be used to receive data, only one of the two should be connected to the device sending the data to the controller. The other is used to to send data to additional E1.31/Artnet controllers, commonly called daisy-chaining. 

Offline aknflyer

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 11:46:25 PM »
I have the F16v3 (similar but more ports). I used it connected to a Pi3 in bridge mode. The Pi3 was a remote on the system and passed traffic to th e F16 via the network port. If the firmware update happens at some point, the F16 will have wireless capability and could lose the pi3.

Offline kryptic

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 05:48:28 PM »
I have the F16v3 (similar but more ports). I used it connected to a Pi3 in bridge mode. The Pi3 was a remote on the system and passed traffic to th e F16 via the network port. If the firmware update happens at some point, the F16 will have wireless capability and could lose the pi3.

How does the Pi get connected to the internet if its connected to the Falcon F4v3 though the ethernet off the Ras Pi though ? What I dont get is how does the Pi get the connection to pass to the Falcon board.

Offline mac50

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 2
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 09:27:02 PM »
add wifi adapter  if pi does not have one built in. set it to a static ip address  on your home network and default gateway to  home router. set  eth0 on pi to a static address on a different subnet, leave default gateway blank. On fpp network page at bottom check box to enable routing between  interfaces. on your falcon f4 set ethernet port connected to pi eth0 to static ip in same subnet with default gateway to the ip address of the pi's eth0.

example

home net 192.168.1.xxx
pi wlan0 192.168.1.10,  gateway 192.168.1.1 (router)
show network 192.168.2.xxx
pi eth0 192.168.2.1  gateway blank
f4 eth0 192.168.2.20  gateway 192.168.2.1
be sure to check box to enable routing between interfaces

if anybody sees any errors please correct

Offline aknflyer

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 09:32:51 PM »

How does the Pi get connected to the internet if its connected to the Falcon F4v3 though the ethernet off the Ras Pi though ? What I dont get is how does the Pi get the connection to pass to the Falcon board.

The F4v3 does not need to connect to the internet. The E131 data (sequence) is passed to the controller via the network jack. I was just describing how I used a Pi3 to feed it the sequence. My Pi3 talks wirelessly to a dedicated wireless router that uses a Master Pi synced to the remote wireless, and the remote Pi3 feeds the sequence to the controller. Alternatively you could connect a pc to the controller to feed it a sequence.
The wireless function in the F4v3 does not support wireless until the next firmware update. It also does not support storing the sequence on the usd card at this time. (all in the manual).

Offline kryptic

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 10:37:17 PM »

The F4v3 does not need to connect to the internet. The E131 data (sequence) is passed to the controller via the network jack. I was just describing how I used a Pi3 to feed it the sequence. My Pi3 talks wirelessly to a dedicated wireless router that uses a Master Pi synced to the remote wireless, and the remote Pi3 feeds the sequence to the controller. Alternatively you could connect a pc to the controller to feed it a sequence.
The wireless function in the F4v3 does not support wireless until the next firmware update. It also does not support storing the sequence on the usd card at this time. (all in the manual).
Thank you for helping me figure this out I am a newb and have little to no knowledge yet. I did order a network switch that should make it  easier to connect both.  Im sure that connecting the F4v3 to xlights or uploading sequences and configuring the pixels  will be more hurdles where this is my first  pixels and controllers tu use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kryptic

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 10:41:01 PM »

Thank you for helping me figure this out I am a newb and have little to no knowledge yet. I did order a network switch that should make it  easier to connect both.  Im sure that connecting the F4v3 to xlights or uploading sequences and configuring the pixels  will be more hurdles where this is my first  pixels and controllers tu use.

So to feed sequences I will upload them to the Pi  via the same method using the FPP GUI  tabs, do I have to configure the controller in xlights and can I test strings in bridge like the Pi Cap.

Offline aknflyer

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 10:14:03 PM »
You will have to set the universe and pixel numbering in xlights. Match those in your controller. With your pc on the same network you could play your sequence in xlights to your controller. I would not worry about the pi till you get that working.
I have only been doing this 1 1/2 yrs, but I spent lots of time reading manuals, forums and watching xlights videos that explain the process well. I did manage to get a megatree and arches on my first year. I think you need to read or watch videos a bit more until you get a handle on the process.

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 05:02:07 AM »

Keep in mind you will need to connect the Pi to the internet or install a real time clock if want the Pi to run a schedule for your show.

In order for my Pi to do updates, get the time/day/date or check on things with my laptop I have mine connected through a cheap ($9.00) network switch I picked up on Amazon. With the location I have, my wireless to the Pi is too unreliable for me to use so I hard wire my Pi to the switch which has an internet cable plugged into the switch. I also use a second network switch inside the Pi enclosure to feed the Falcons. I can plug my laptop into the same switch and from the comfort of inside to see what the Pi and Falcons are doing out in the yard or upload new songs and sequences from my laptop during the Christmas season. 
Todd L.
Kimberly, WI

Falcon F16V3 F48, FPP, X-Lights, LOR, Pi 3B

Offline kryptic

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 03:25:20 PM »
Thanks everyone aknflyer,mac50,algerdes.  that added to making this understandable for me I did successfully connect to my PC finally I tried alot of other methods to make it connect and finally the network switch was the answer at some point I can try and configure a way around the switch but at least I can now see the GUI on the F4V3 board, next step is universes and pixel counts, then xlights. I am sure I will have a million more questions on how to remote from pi for sequences and many other things I havent a clue on yet. I am looking forward to getting some of my sequences running for the 4th of July. my wifey is already getting excited. Any other docs you can recommend to help me configure universes and so on would be great I have spent hours on end watching videos and reading manuals along with all of your expertise.

Thanks to all of you engineers and do it yourselfers