Author Topic: 2 PSU's in CG-1500 no vent?  (Read 595 times)

Offline rickswa

• Kudos: 0
2 PSU's in CG-1500 no vent?
« on: May 21, 2018, 03:03:41 PM »
Hi All,
I'm putting together some new psu boxes this season and some will have 2 Meanwell 350w supplies in the main part of a CG-1500 box and either a 4 or 8 port distro board on the door side with the output cables running out the bottom of the door side.  I'll be limiting them to 80% max output each but wondering if I'll need a vent (or even 2) or possible a fan as well?  I live in Colorado so it's obviously on the cooler side of things that time of year, but just curious of any advice anyone has.  I bought a Bud IPV-1115 vent that I can put in the back but was wondering if I'd need one at the bottom and one at the top on the back of the box?  Thanks for any input.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 10
Re: 2 PSU's in CG-1500 no vent?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 04:00:23 PM »
Even if you should be an exhaust vent into the box, note that the cable through holes at the bottom of a CG-1500 work as an input vent.  You just have to change the foam strip with some sort of bug screen.  Of course, you folks in Colorado may claim there aren't any bugs out there, I don't know.  ;)
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline Sawdust

• Kudos: 6
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 04:47:23 PM »
They only have frozen bugs.....no vents or they will suck the snow up the bottom and blow it out the top.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 46
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 08:18:58 PM »
I would avoid putting vents into the box unless really needed.  Once the box is opened to the outside air, all of the crap in that air gets into the box, especially the humidity that does wonders for these power supplies.  And after you add a fan to the mix, that pulls the damp air into the supplies.  If there are getting hot then it is not a huge issue as they will dry themselves off but if they are running cold, that can cause a significant reduction in PS life.

Offline Todd

• Kudos: 4
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 04:37:25 AM »
I don't vent other than the cable exits at the bottom of the case or use fans for the reasons Sawdust and tbone state. No problems with heat build up. We had a warmer than normal start to our Christmas season in Wisconsin this last year. It pushed the temp up in the boxes, but not to a critical level. But, I do keep some Budd vents around....Just in case it does get too warm out.
Todd L.
Kimberly, WI

Falcon F16V3 F48, FPP, X-Lights, LOR, Pi 3B

Offline rickswa

• Kudos: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 10:47:30 AM »
Thanks for the great replies but I had to stop laughing so hard to actually read them.  These bug things you mention....do you mean people actually come up and sneak small recording devices in your boxes???  If so, then I'll use a metal screen to keep it more secure.  I mean, other than that, I don't know what these bug things are...hahah.  But it is true there are (thankfully) a LOT less than when we lived in Indiana and yes, any we do have are pretty much in the frozen state that time of year.  Some of the best replies I've ever seen.   :D .  Thank you for the advice so I think I'll give it a go with just the cable outlets as vents and see how it goes.  Like I said, I really want to be conservative with the supplies so hopefully it's not going to be an issue.  Thanks again and hopefully you can read this between having to bat away the skeeters and gnats and whatever other gigantic flying attackers you're dealing with this time of year. lol. 

Offline Duane Johnson

• Kudos: 3
    • Johnson Lights
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 01:01:03 PM »
Two power supplies inside with just the holes on the bottom venting will be fine.  I've run mine for the last 3 years like this and had no issues at all here in LA and you'll definitely have cooler weather in CO than we do...so no worries!!

Duane