Author Topic: F4v3 controller channels 3 and 4 show data out but  (Read 1039 times)

Offline kryptic

• Kudos: 1
F4v3 controller channels 3 and 4 show data out but
« on: May 22, 2018, 09:35:38 AM »
Hello I hit another snag I have no  idea whats causing channel 3 and 4 to not send data to the pixels, it shows my controller is receiving data on all 4 channels. I am pretty sure that I have everything setup correct in my xlights setup and models and to the Ras pi and F4v3 controller unless its still struggling with my absolute universes that I have setup. The pixels on channel 3 and 4 light up like  they are only getting power but do not change color or flash even in test mode like they dont understand the data being sent. Any ideas what could be causing this problem.
I have my universes setup
channel 1 universe 1
channel 2 universe 10
channel 3 universe 30
channel 4 universe 60

all my channels are set to 512
they are all set the same in xlights, Ras Pi, and F4v3

Thanks

Offline aknflyer

• Kudos: 4
Re: F4v3 controller channels 3 and 4 show data out but
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 11:47:57 PM »
If they do not work in test mode that rules out the pi feeding the controller.1: You either have the data feeding into the wrong end of the pixel string (they are directional, look for the arrow on the pixel circuit board that indicates the direction the data is flowing from the controller).2: the wrong type of pixels set in the controller. 3: pixel plug wired wrong.
4: last thought, no fuse, or blown fuse on that controller port.
Curious why your universes are so spread out, I ran 8 each 50 pixel arches on 3 universes.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 11:54:12 PM by aknflyer »

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 03:13:03 PM »
When you say they don't flash in test mode are you talking about FPP or the F4 test mode?  If the F4 test mode doesn't work it means something is connected wrong as mentioned above. If you mean FPP then this is how I would go about doing it.
First I would check the lights using F4 test mode. Once they work now move to the FPP test mode.  At that point it's all about matching the channel numbers between FPP and controller. Then make sure enable output is selected on FPP output page.  Once all that works you can try using a sequence which also needs channels to match up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kryptic

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 08:56:53 PM »
here is what I have in my setup stuff, I have not tried wiring the pixels up at the other end yet but that could be, I will try that next let me know if you see anything in my setup that may be incorrect. Thank you for all the help I am starting to grasp a little more the universe thing had me thrown for a bit and I think I have some strings that may be soldered wrong,but I can fix that in the falcon F4v3 to  correct the colors and in xlights.

Offline kryptic

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 09:25:40 AM »
If they do not work in test mode that rules out the pi feeding the controller.1: You either have the data feeding into the wrong end of the pixel string (they are directional, look for the arrow on the pixel circuit board that indicates the direction the data is flowing from the controller).2: the wrong type of pixels set in the controller. 3: pixel plug wired wrong.
4: last thought, no fuse, or blown fuse on that controller port.
Curious why your universes are so spread out, I ran 8 each 50 pixel arches on 3 universes.

Aknflyer you were correct it was the pixel string seemed to be wired backwards with the injection wires at the first pixel not pixel 50. I think there could be more that are wired that way that I bought. I tried to narrow down why I couldn't just use 3 universes, no matter which ways I tried anything over 150 pixels on a single run of strings would require more than 1 universe or would over lap. I tried using absolute configuration in the beginning but I think that may have also added more overlapping universes so finally I read a post on a forum that someone had said they preferred using the universeing method because absolute would slow down the controller to a crawl . I am not sure why the universes that I had setup wouldn't work with just channel 1 on universe 1 using 150 5v pixels channel 2 in universe 2 running 150 pixels 5 v and channel 3 on universe 3 running 100 pixels 5v channel 4 on universe 4 running 100 5v pixels. with out that overlapping. I am not sure on the grouping of my outline element. I am not sure how to move my front 150 pixel outline to the top then my back outline of 150 pixels right below that then my carport outline 100 pixels below the back outline then my alley side  100 pixel outline below that.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Online pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 34
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 01:24:15 PM »
I am not sure why the universes that I had setup wouldn't work with just channel 1 on universe 1 using 150 5v pixels channel 2 in universe 2 running 150 pixels 5 v and channel 3 on universe 3 running 100 pixels 5v channel 4 on universe 4 running 100 5v pixels. with out that overlapping. I am not sure on the grouping of my outline element. I am not sure how to move my front 150 pixel outline to the top then my back outline of 150 pixels right below that then my carport outline 100 pixels below the back outline then my alley side  100 pixel outline below that.

There is some confusing use of terminology there.  In this context I think you mean to say PORT when you are saying CHANNEL.

Your F4V3 has 4 string ports on board (expandable to 12 string ports with optional Differential Expansion board).  Each PORT can feed up to 1024 pixels (up to 3072 channels)
There should not be a noticeable performance difference between Universe/Start addressing or Absolute addressing if the total number of channels is the same.  Its mostly a choice of personal preference not performance.
Since you are using Universe/Start addressing, I think your String Port Start Channel settings are wrong.   Unless  you are doing something special or tricky, you probably want your string ports to start on channel 1 of the appropriate universe.

In other words, you have:
Port-1 -> Universe-1 -> StartChnl-1
Port-2 -> Universe-4 -> StartChnl-2
Port-3 -> Universe-8 -> StartChnl-3
Port-4 -> Universe-12 -> StartChnl-4

But I think you want:
Port-2 -> Universe-4 -> StartChnl-1
Port-3 -> Universe-8 -> StartChnl-1
Port-4 -> Universe-12 -> StartChnl-1
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 01:33:10 PM by pixelpuppy »
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / homemade controllers for everything else

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2018, 06:48:49 PM »
Pixelpuppy is right.  You very most likely want each start channel to be 1 as he wrote out.  That is how it is done because otherwise when you get to the end of the universe which only has 512 channels you will never have a full 3 channel set if you started at 4 for example.  It also makes it easier to setup xlights numbering. 

And yes I know in case the experts speak up, I know this can be overcome with the Falcon but in general it is still best practice to start at 1.

Offline algerdes

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 10
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 07:45:45 PM »
One thing to keep in mind:  A "string port" can usually output multiple universes of data, or even just a partial universe of data. 
Don't get in the mindset that a string port equals a universe of data.  The only time that comes even close to being true is if you have DMX assigned to a string port.  In that case, the constraint is to one universe of data per DMX line, and it is not because of the controller - it is the DMX specification.
[size=78%]  [/size]
Sequencers: Vixen3 and xLights
Players: FPP and xSchedule Controllers:  Renards - SS24/SS16; E1.31 - San Devices E682 - Falcon F16, F4, F48 - J1Sys - DIYLEDExpress E1.31 Bridges.  Much more!

Offline kryptic

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 11:48:35 PM »
I am not sure why the universes that I had setup wouldn't work with just channel 1 on universe 1 using 150 5v pixels channel 2 in universe 2 running 150 pixels 5 v and channel 3 on universe 3 running 100 pixels 5v channel 4 on universe 4 running 100 5v pixels. with out that overlapping. I am not sure on the grouping of my outline element. I am not sure how to move my front 150 pixel outline to the top then my back outline of 150 pixels right below that then my carport outline 100 pixels below the back outline then my alley side  100 pixel outline below that.

There is some confusing use of terminology there.  In this context I think you mean to say PORT when you are saying CHANNEL.

Your F4V3 has 4 string ports on board (expandable to 12 string ports with optional Differential Expansion board).  Each PORT can feed up to 1024 pixels (up to 3072 channels)
There should not be a noticeable performance difference between Universe/Start addressing or Absolute addressing if the total number of channels is the same.  Its mostly a choice of personal preference not performance.
Since you are using Universe/Start addressing, I think your String Port Start Channel settings are wrong.   Unless  you are doing something special or tricky, you probably want your string ports to start on channel 1 of the appropriate universe.

In other words, you have:
Port-2 -> Universe-4 -> StartChnl-2
Port-3 -> Universe-8 -> StartChnl-3
Port-4 -> Universe-12 -> StartChnl-4

But I think you want:
Port-2 -> Universe-4 -> StartChnl-1
Port-3 -> Universe-8 -> StartChnl-1
Port-4 -> Universe-12 -> StartChnl-1

I can put 170 ws2811 5 volt pixels on each port but nothing more than that without overlap problems, I am not sure where  1024 pixels comes from my F4 v3 doesnt seem to allow no where near that number of pixels per output. Any ideas on why, I am maybe missing some setting somewhere because  even in the board documentation it states that it would run 1024 pixels per out put. Anything over 170 pixels will not run off like output 1 it seems to  start using part of output 2  which interferes with my show color patterns. Also when I inject power do I only need to connect the V+  from the other power supply or do i need to use the ground comming from the inject power supply with the power wire and do I disconnect the power from the main power supply line to the strings im injecting.

Online pixelpuppy

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2018, 08:05:51 AM »
I can put 170 ws2811 5 volt pixels on each port but nothing more than that without overlap problems, I am not sure where  1024 pixels comes from my F4 v3 doesnt seem to allow no where near that number of pixels per output. Any ideas on why, I am maybe missing some setting somewhere because  even in the board documentation it states that it would run 1024 pixels per out put. Anything over 170 pixels will not run off like output 1 it seems to  start using part of output 2  which interferes with my show color patterns. Also when I inject power do I only need to connect the V+  from the other power supply or do i need to use the ground comming from the inject power supply with the power wire and do I disconnect the power from the main power supply line to the strings im injecting.
Overlapping problems is a setup issue.  The controller allows overlapping if you set it that way.

Read what Algerdes wrote.  Its the key.
Quote from: algerdes
A "string port" can usually output multiple universes of data, or even just a partial universe of data.  Don't get in the mindset that a string port equals a universe of data.

And yes, you will need multiple universes on a single string port to get more than 170 pixels on that port.  Notice in my example Port 1 starts at universe 1 and Port 2 starts at Universe 4.  That's because Port 1 includes all of  Universes 1, 2, and 3 (if you set the Pixel Count to 510 on that port)  Also, we didn't talk about it yet, but the String Port configuration screen has a "Pixel Count" field.  Make sure you have it set to the number of pixels you want on that port (you have it set to 170, but you can set it up to 1024)

Offline kryptic

Re: F4v3 controller channels 3 and 4 show data out but (Solved)
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 09:40:20 AM »
I switched everything over to absolute and using max pixel per port of 1024 for expansion at a later date. Things seem correct I racked my brain for days trying to grasp the problem and it was incorrect setup for all three the FPP the F4v3 and xlights. I used Jnelands technique for absolute addressing and the F4v3 workup for getting the right start channels put into xlights. Then using the universes in the F4v3 that I added based on how many channels there would be to determine the correct universe number for each  port in FPP. Thanks for the advice on making every port max pixel, that was a great idea PixelPuppy especially where I do want to expand later to more props and objects in my shows, now to figure out a cheap way to make the music play outside without a FCC license and all kinds of red tape.

Thanks for all the help

Kryptic
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 10:18:31 AM by kryptic »

Offline kryptic

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2018, 01:15:00 PM »
 I added more universes to my previous post to 97 universes of 510 and now all of my ports and strings are working perfectly.So my above setup would have been incorrect. My universe count was 27 in FPP but I thought that was only a port number on the left not universes this  Line # symbol had me confused I thought that was port not universes and once I added another like almost 70 universes to that it worked perfectly why would they have used line# instead of # universe there in the GUI for E1.31/Artnet it thoroughly confused me thinking #Line meant port. With not many video workups on this type of thing.

Thanks for all the help from all Algerdes, PixelPuppy, Aknflyer, Jneland, CapMurdoch, Emuney18 .Etc if you helped and I didnt mention you I thank you too.

Online pixelpuppy

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 03:17:44 PM »
...why would they have used line# instead of # universe there in the GUI for E1.31/Artnet it thoroughly confused me thinking #Line meant port...

Because you don't have to define or allocate universes sequentially or contiguously.  You could set it up with only 5 universes and they could be Universes 2, 7, 9, 32, and 155.   Only takes 5 lines to define them.

Offline kryptic

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 06:10:04 PM »
...why would they have used line# instead of # universe there in the GUI for E1.31/Artnet it thoroughly confused me thinking #Line meant port...

Because you don't have to define or allocate universes sequentially or contiguously.  You could set it up with only 5 universes and they could be Universes 2, 7, 9, 32, and 155.   Only takes 5 lines to define them.

At first I didn't know that wanted universes, I thought it was a Port setting, where it says "line # " that sounds like a string port Line of lights,  So in the beginning I only had 4 universes in those boxes due to the fact it looked like it wanted ports not universes, that's what I was pointing out not that you had to follow a specific method of universes and sure you could use non sequential uni-versing 1,29,86,125 Etc.

Offline kryptic

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 08:56:32 PM »
Solved I Read Back back over what Rupro explained to me its fixed sorry