Author Topic: Xlights running on Raspberry Pi  (Read 1255 times)

Offline skulltronix

• Kudos: 0
Xlights running on Raspberry Pi
« on: June 20, 2018, 12:35:25 PM »
Hi, I remember seeing someone was running xlights directly on a Pi.  Is there a .img file available? Thx

Online dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 69
Re: Xlights running on Raspberry Pi
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 12:42:54 PM »

There is a build of 2018.9 for arm at:

http://dankulp.com/xlights/

I haven't updated it lately.  Haven't had the time.
Dan Kulp

Offline skulltronix

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 01:48:40 PM »
Thanks. I'll give it a look.

Offline skulltronix

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 01:49:44 PM »
Hmm. Could not figure out which file you were suggesting.

Online dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 02:18:20 PM »
Hmm. Could not figure out which file you were suggesting.

xLights-2018.9-arm.tar.gz 

Offline dhollida55

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2018, 11:28:05 AM »
I am a newbie when it comes to the Raspberry Pi, the Falcon Player, and Xlights.  For hardware I have the Raspberry Pi 3 B+.  I've been trying to get the Falcon Player loaded on it.  If anyone could give advice on this that would be great.  Once I get the Falcon Player installed then I'd like to load Xlights on it to run my sequences. I got the file xlights-2018.9-arm.tar.gz.  How do I install it on the Pi?

Online dkulp

• Developer
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2018, 11:44:14 AM »
I am a newbie when it comes to the Raspberry Pi, the Falcon Player, and Xlights.  For hardware I have the Raspberry Pi 3 B+.  I've been trying to get the Falcon Player loaded on it.  If anyone could give advice on this that would be great.  Once I get the Falcon Player installed then I'd like to load Xlights on it to run my sequences. I got the file xlights-2018.9-arm.tar.gz.  How do I install it on the Pi?

The two are incompatible...   It's one or the other.   If you are planning on using FPP to run your show, install that.   That's likely the preferred way to do it.  If you want to use xLights/xScheduler to run the show on the Pi, install the normal Debian Pi desktop image with full UI and then use xlights-2018.9-arm.tar.gz.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 34
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2018, 01:50:02 PM »

For a newbie, I would suggest you NOT try running xLights on the Raspberry Pi.  xLights is a "sequencer" and FPP is a "player". Most people do sequencing on PC or MAC.  There is a linux version that can run on a Pi but that's probably not a good place to start if you are new to all this.

The typical scenario is to run xLights on a desktop or laptop computer to do all your "sequencing".   After the sequence is created, tested, and saved, then you need a "player" to play the sequence on your lights (usually based on a day/time schedule).  The common sequence players are xSchedule and FPP ("FPP"=Falcon Pi Player).   If you want to use a desktop or laptop computer to be your "show player" then you'll want to look into xSchedule.  If you want to use a Raspberry Pi as your show player then thats what FPP software is for.
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / homemade controllers for everything else

Offline dhollida55

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2018, 02:24:32 PM »
Thank you all for your responses.  I understand how it works now.  Currently I have my sequences developed in LOR.  I have some updating to do on them.  Then I understand that I use Xlights on my laptop to convert the LOR files to Xlights and copy them over to the Raspberry Pi and run them with the Falcon Player.

Offline gpoduska

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 11:21:38 AM »
I would like to add a projector to my display.  I currently use xlights (xschedule) from my pc to sequence and control the lights with all ESPixel POP Tiny controllers.  Completely wireless using Ubiquity M2 station.  I understand I can use FPP on a remote Pi, but I need to use a master FPP to run the sequence copied from xlights.  Is there a way to simply have a remote FPP be controlled in Xlights (xSchedule) to display a virtual matrix?  Im trying to get away from having to squence on the pc and then put on a master pi.
In addition, are there any other wireless methods to add a projector to my display?

Offline gsrunion

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2018, 07:10:09 PM »
I would like to add a projector to my display.  I currently use xlights (xschedule) from my pc to sequence and control the lights with all ESPixel POP Tiny controllers.  Completely wireless using Ubiquity M2 station.  I understand I can use FPP on a remote Pi, but I need to use a master FPP to run the sequence copied from xlights.  Is there a way to simply have a remote FPP be controlled in Xlights (xSchedule) to display a virtual matrix?  Im trying to get away from having to squence on the pc and then put on a master pi.
In addition, are there any other wireless methods to add a projector to my display?

You can run xschedule as a FPP master and have the projector on a remote pi to drive the virtual matrix. That is how I tried to do things this year, except for some sequences I had video on the virutal matrix and others I had straight video. I ran into reliability problems where FPPD would unexplainably stop. i fought and fought with it and then tried putting the projector driving PI in standalone mode and things stabilized and FPP quit stopping. My guess is, that with xschedule being less mature than fpp, the issue was on the xschedule side...but that is just a hunch.

Online CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 181
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2018, 03:37:57 PM »
I ran into reliability problems where FPPD would unexplainably stop. i fought and fought with it and then tried putting the projector driving PI in standalone mode and things stabilized and FPP quit stopping. My guess is, that with xschedule being less mature than fpp, the issue was on the xschedule side...but that is just a hunch.

Which version of FPP was this?  We had problems last year with some of the FPP MultiSync code when running on the multi-core Pi's.  We worked through that in December last year, so if you were running v1.8 or v1.9 on this system, that could explain the problem.
-
Chris

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 34
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2018, 07:21:27 AM »
Which version of FPP was this?  We had problems last year with some of the FPP MultiSync code when running on the multi-core Pi's.  We worked through that in December last year, so if you were running v1.8 or v1.9 on this system, that could explain the problem.
I concur.   Last year, v1.8/1.9 we dealt with some fppd stopping issues (fppdWatcher helped).  But v1.10 was ROCK SOLID.  I'm running v2.5 this year because I wanted some of the new features and also to use the new Pi3B+ and its had some growing pains (mostly resolved now).  But running v1.10 last year was flawless.  Set-it-and-forget-it.

Offline gsrunion

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2018, 06:48:54 PM »
I ran into reliability problems where FPPD would unexplainably stop. i fought and fought with it and then tried putting the projector driving PI in standalone mode and things stabilized and FPP quit stopping. My guess is, that with xschedule being less mature than fpp, the issue was on the xschedule side...but that is just a hunch.

2.5.... I have no evidence but my gut tells me it was an issue on the Xschedule end but IDK if that is feasibly the cause of the issue. I changed things up by making my PI a standalone and taking anything else out of the equation and the 'fppd stopped' went away. But other issues arose that I think I have worked around. I have a feeling that there is an issue in the code that un-blanks the screen after blanking on startup or between sequences.