Author Topic: Skulltronix DMX via PICAP  (Read 705 times)

Offline skulltronix

• Kudos: 0
Skulltronix DMX via PICAP
« on: July 03, 2018, 11:07:04 AM »
Stumped :(
  I have a Skulltronix SOC board connected via Enttec Pro to my laptop.
 I have an animation routine running successfully in xlights to the soc board.

Now I have moved the sequence to the Pi3B+ with picap but no output when the sequence runs. In FPP I have OTHER output set to active DMX-Pro on port ttyAMA0I have pin 1 of the PICAP RJ45 going to DMX+, Pin 2 to DMX-, Pin 6 to ground.

Yes, the SOC board DMX is now connected to the PICAP DMX output via RJ45. Does the "Enable FPD Output" need to be used at all?

In xlights the setup is one DMX output to port COM11 at 250000 baud. Output from xlights to the SOC board works fine.

Yes, picap jumpers are set to dmx.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 11:37:43 AM by skulltronix »

Offline skulltronix

Re: Skulltronix DMX via PICAP
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 11:07:42 AM »
Has anyone run DMX to a Skulltronix SOC board via the picap?

BTW, the DMX portion of the Falcon Player manual appears to be waiting for a writer ;)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 11:34:32 AM by skulltronix »

Offline CaptainMurdoch

• Administrator
  • Kudos: 214
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2018, 10:49:48 AM »
I'm a bit confused.  You mention the Entec Pro, but also the PiCap DMX output.

ttyAMA0 is the onboard serial port.  If you are using the PiCap DMX RJ45 output, then you need to use the DMX Open channel output and the ttyAMA0 device.  If you are using the Entec Pro USB dongle, then you need the DMX Pro Channel Output and the USB tty device.
-
Chris

Offline cpnbnanamn

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 01:42:07 PM »
I was trying to add my DMX dongle to my Pi setup.  I've disabled FPD output, and on the 'Other' tab wanted to add an entry for DMX output to USB..  But output config doesn't have ttyUSB as an option.  Did I miss something?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 01:45:31 PM »
What kind of DMX dongle is it?  DMX Open or DMX Pro?

Choose one of them and tty becomes listed

Offline cpnbnanamn

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 02:23:19 PM »
I'm pulling this stuff back out of a box after a brief hiatus while moving..    I do know it's a Lynx USB dongle, so if I recall correctly, it's DMX Pro.  I selected that, and still only getting those 2 options.

I should add here:  This is the first time I've ever used FPP and RaspPi's to run things..

Offline cpnbnanamn

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 03:12:21 PM »
Found my problem.  Got the USB option now.  Let's see how far I get on this now!

Offline skulltronix

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 04:25:25 PM »
Damn...  My FireDog animatronic was working fine and now the picap is not outputting DMX.  I have the same issue with the MeTrike animatronic.  Both will play from VSA and Xlights via USB Enttec (both pro and Open) but do not output DMX from the Pi/PiCap.  OTHER is set to DMX Open on ttyxxx. No other outputs.  IE no lights.
I'm having intermittent  problems also with FPP not starting.  It just says STOPPED and will not respond to the START button.  But when it does start it doesn't output DMX.
I've tried setting the VSA output to both Enttec Open and Enttec Pro and then imported that to Xlights and then to FPP where I have the same settings on OTHER output. 

The RJ45 to 3 Pin DMX cable between SOC board and Pcap is good.  FPP is running fine otherwise. No USB drive. All data is saved to the SD card. Latest FPP version on both animatronics.
The FireDog has DMX in the Model Layout window of Xlights set to DMX:11.  On MeTrike I have all models set to DMX:1.  Not sure why FireDog is at 11.  Not sure what the :xx means.
Suggestions?