Author Topic: Stand alone mode (Difficult to do)  (Read 1092 times)

Offline bpos

• Kudos: 2
Stand alone mode (Difficult to do)
« on: July 05, 2018, 08:59:25 PM »
Can someone please explain to me what is happening. I can not get a TRUE stand alone mode since version 1.8.

I am running Pi 3b+ with PiCap with latest 612 version (2.0). Once you set the etho to static and give it an IP it will not boot because FPP cannot find an IP without a connection of some sort.  1.8 did not need an actual connection to do this.
Booting up without a connection gets you an immediate STOP FPPD.  After that you are done. You must reload the img to get FPPD to start again. And hopefully you have a connection the FPP can find.  (I have tried this with 10 SD cards in a row with same result.)

The ONLY way I can trick FPP into thinking I have an IP address is to give the wlano a DCHP or Static (doesn't matter) and use a hot spot on a smartphone.  As long as it finds the hot spot (IP) it will boot as normal. THEN I can turn off the hotspot and proceed without a connection.

Can someone tell me what I am missing?
One more thing. Is there a way we can over ride FPPD and get it to start again? IT WILL NOT START after no IP return.

Thanks

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 10:40:55 PM by bpos »

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
Re: Stand alone mode (NO SUCH THING)
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2018, 09:46:18 PM »
Im running FPP V2.x in standalone player mode for a small 4th of July display.  Works great.

You say youre running the latest 612 version, but I wonder if you are using the latest SD Image build. There are OS Kernel differences between the 20180313 SD Image and the 20180315 SD Image.

If you loaded the 0313 SD Image and then did the FPP Manual Update to 612 then you arent really running the latest everything. (Latest FPP but not the latest OS)

Go to the FPP->Help->About page and check your OS Kernel version.  Here is what mine says:
FPP Version:v2.x-master-612-g78e44ade
FPP OS Build:v2.0alpha
OS Version:Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)
Kernel Version:4.14.26+
-Mark

Offline bpos

Re: Stand alone mode (NO SUCH THING)
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2018, 05:13:03 PM »
Yep Yep and yep.  All checks out.

Do you get an actual wifi signal or any other signal to your display?   I can get everything working fine at my house but as soon as I drive to a remote location where there is no internet (at all) then that's when I do not get a complete boot up. Everything stops once no IP address is found.
It also throws a glitch in the entire boot sequence because if I come back to a place with an IP address it will finish boot sequence but the damage is done. At this point the Deamon is stopped and will NOT restart.
So 2 problems. Wont start without IP address and FPPD will not start after reboot. It would be nice to solve both issues and at very least force FPPD to restart once rebooted.

I don't know if something has changed in IP protocol or ConnMan or whatever since version 1.8 but it acts completely different and needs an IP now.

I thought "stand alone" meant stand alone with no IP access ?

Offline bpos

Re: Stand alone mode (Difficult to do)
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 10:53:26 PM »
I am wondering if someone can tell me if the IP script has changed from version 1.8 to now? As I watch 1.8 boot it has a few lines that say something about bringing up the IP connect then bringing it down?  Then a while later it says it has found an IP address. It actually works fine in that respect.

Does the latest version use the same script/software boot up to access an IP address?

Reason I ask is that it runs sooooo much better in 1.8 than the current version of connman? 

Amazingly version 1.8 finds an IP without the headache of waiting almost 3 minutes to reboot or whatever it does now to actually grab a stand alone address.

Aside from the IP script on the latest version I think the whole system would be somewhat close to as stable as it has ever been. When I read lots of post a high percentage of them have something to do with IP problems?

Just some thoughts..

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 45
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 06:42:19 AM »
"Standalone" means it runs without using other FPP's (Master/Remote mode) and without using a PC or other E1.31 sender (Bridge mode).    It doesn't mean that it has no network access, although it can run standalone with or without network access.

If you don't want it to wait for an IP address when booting, just give it a Static IP address.

Online dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 96
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 07:58:35 AM »

If you login and do "sudo systemctl disable connman-wait-online", I think it will bootup without an IP.

Offline bpos

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 10:47:26 AM »
"Standalone" means it runs without using other FPP's (Master/Remote mode) and without using a PC or other E1.31 sender (Bridge mode).    It doesn't mean that it has no network access, although it can run standalone with or without network access.

If you don't want it to wait for an IP address when booting, just give it a Static IP address.

I have it on static and it does boot but its nothing like it used to be in version 1.8 and older. I don't think you even need a clock in the older versions?

2:15 seconds seems to be a long time to wait for FPP to process everything and figure out that there is no connection. Think about it. When you are in a remote location and have no way of watching the boot sequence you are just relying on the unit to boot.  I have had many issues on site where it did not actually boot (probably from some sort of corruption) so you never really know if it is going to start.  I think a lot of times it goes through the boot process only to get hung up at the IP access?

Dan: I will try that. This could be really helpful. I need the PI player reliable out on remote site.  I usually bring a few PI players and extra SD cards loaded with backups.  Latest version really seems to be fast and less corruption taking place over all. IP or lack of IP has been a continual problem in the newer versions.

Thanks Bill

Offline bpos

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 09:49:53 PM »

If you login and do "sudo systemctl disable connman-wait-online", I think it will bootup without an IP.

Dan that works perfectly. That solves a lot of issues when there is no internet to connect to. True stand alone.  Works quick and smooth. Love it. My only down fall is changing a setting. I am on USB with the settings so I can add another sequence but not sure how to hack in to tell FPP to play another sequence?

Just asking a dumb question now. Is there a way to re-enable it? Is it simply the same command and just switching out disable for enable?

Let me ask you something about the sequence of events. Is there a smoother way to try and connect to an IP first then after a very short period of time switch to disable connman?

I honestly think this would solve a lot of corrupt or wrong network configurations by still having a path to hook up and go rather than hang up because of a bad network config?

Maybe a sequence of events like:

Try to connect to IP (connman) for a very short time
if it does not connect in a very short time disable and go to disable connman.
If when you reboot connman is disabled
then re-enable and start the process again.

People will know if they are connected to an IP or not by being able to access the page or not.
The IPs seem to connect really quickly if things are set right.

Just some thoughts

Thanks Bill

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 127
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 10:39:52 PM »
Try Tether Mode. It will let your smartphone connect to it.

Then again, the command you just ran probably killed Tethering.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline bpos

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 11:43:12 PM »
Try Tether Mode. It will let your smartphone connect to it.

Then again, the command you just ran probably killed Tethering.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Actually I can just add a wlano with SSID and password and pickup a hot spot on a smartphone. I have ran like that in the past but every so often I will forget to hot spot first and corrupt the boot sequence shortly there after.

I am thrilled with that command. Just thinking ahead if I might ever need to adjust a setting after that..

Online dkulp

• Developer
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2018, 11:57:52 PM »

The next/release image for the Pi will likely have that set as default.   I wasn't aware of it when I created the image.   The BBB images don't have it at all.   It seems to only be on the base Pi image.

I'm not sure what you mean by asking about disabling conman.   Without conman, there would be no network connection at all.   No wifi.  No ethernet.  Nothing.   The only way into the Pi would be hdmi monitor and usb keyboard.   (BBB's would still allow USB tethering)

Online dkulp

• Developer
    • KulpLights.com
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2018, 12:00:48 AM »

BTW:  the playlists and schedules and everything are just text files on the USB drive as well.   Thus, if you pull the USB to add a sequence or something, you can update the playlist and everything at the same time. 

Offline bpos

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2018, 12:07:56 PM »
I'm not sure what you mean by asking about disabling conman.   Without conman, there would be no network connection at all.   No wifi.  No ethernet.  Nothing.   The only way into the Pi would be hdmi monitor and usb keyboard.   (BBB's would still allow USB tethering)

I was just assuming that was what the command did?   "sudo systemctl disable connman-wait-online"  ?

I guess I should have worded the sequence of events a bit better.  /assuming that command disables conman.

Yes with no connection to IP the FPP program still runs. (I believe it did something like that in version 1.8 and older?)  I don't think this would be a bad thing.

There are a few reasons for this. Perhaps if you are mobile? Parades, A tree/fence that stands 100 yards from the home, outter space? I am sure there are lots of instances where you have a spot that is isolated from the internet? In my situation this is the case.

Assuming the command disables the sequence, perhaps the some sort of script should be more like this I suppose.
///////////////////
Try to connect to conman.
If Conman does not connect in "x" seconds
Then disable.
Re connect conman at reboot if conman is disabled?
/////////////////////

I think what I am trying to say is that in all instances of IP trying to connect that the program should/will still run. This keeps the program from hanging up and perhaps corrupting if a network setting is wrong in FPP and allows for stand alone to work when no IP is present.

Even though it would disable, the fact that it might perhaps reset at next reboot satisfies everyone`s needs? Plus it does not corrupt the whole boot sequence with one wrong IP configuration. (I have had this happen 100s of times)

2 questions:

First question is (for big setups);  Will FPP still communicate with other controls (with conman disabled) that were perhaps "wired ethernet" 100ft away?

Second question; If conman being disabled does not work for wired applications then is there a way to assign a generic IP address if FPP does not actually find the assigned IP or a misconfigured network setting?  (This might also satisfy FPP running solo as if there were no IP connection?)

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 12:38:26 PM by bpos »