Author Topic: Pixels are not behaving quite right.  (Read 376 times)

Offline MATTS

• Kudos: 0
Pixels are not behaving quite right.
« on: July 13, 2018, 03:51:38 PM »
Hi all,

Having some issues with my matrix display not working properly. I am running 56 panels on a BBB with FPP version: [/size]
[/size]
[/size]
In display test mode the only mode that seems to be normal is Chase RGB-None. all other chase modes look way off. The fill modes work ok.
[/size]
[/size]
When I run a sequence, it mostly looks ok, but I get some weird pixels happening here and there. I'm attaching some photos and screenshot to see if I can get some advice.
[/size]
[/size]
Thanks for the help,
[/size]
[/size]
Matt

Offline jnealand

• Developer
  • Kudos: 54
Re: Pixels are not behaving quite right.
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2018, 04:16:25 PM »
Personally, I find it works best to create a couple of sequences instead of using the test modes.  The test modes will show me that the pixels light up, but sequences show me that I have them configured the way that I want/need them.  I always create sequences that turn all pixels on, for every prop, as a single color, one sequence each for R,G, and B.  I then use those sequences to make sure that my controllers are configured the way that xlights think they are by just tweaking the configs until everything is correct.  The nice thing about Falcon controllers is that I can change the config while the sequence is running.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA all Falcon controllers, all 12v Master Remote Multisync with Pi and BBB P10 and P5

Offline MATTS

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2018, 04:52:21 PM »
Ya, it definitely looks a lot closer when I run a sequence, thats why I added some picks of bars and spirals etc so you can see where the pixels arent lining up
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 05:00:10 PM by MATTS »

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 107
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 08:24:19 PM »
Have you considered using a ColorLight board? You are pushing the limits of the BBB, even with Dan's enhancements.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline dkulp

• Developer
  • Kudos: 53
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 08:26:46 PM »
You're many versions old.   Grab the latest images and see if that helps.
Dan Kulp

Offline MATTS

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 08:35:10 PM »
Jon,

Havent looked into colorlight. Im new to this, so Im still learning. Not really sure where to get a color light board, the advantages, or where to get info on them.

Dan,

I will try to get an update on my BBB and let you know.

Thanks,

Matt

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 107
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 09:52:26 PM »
Jon, Havent looked into colorlight. Im new to this, so Im still learning. Not really sure where to get a color light board, the advantages, or where to get info on them.

Matt

The ColorLight 5a-75b boards are an EBay item (about $31). When you see the BIG roadside LED billboards, they are being driven by boards like the ColorLight. I am using one right now, being driven by a RasPi 3B+. The P10 panel it is driving is small (3x3) so it isn't a big test, but I've driven this same panel with a Pi Matrix board, two different Octoscrollers and now the ColorLight. Of these, the ColorLight is the best, but not by a lot. The board has 8 outputs and each output can drive A LOT of panels without stress. It is FPP limited to a max of 64 panels (but one of the choices is 64x1, so it may be able to drive 64 panels on all 8. Someone else may know those limits)

BUT - you are driving 56 panels. It is only within the last year that you could do more than 64 (thanks, Dan) with an Octoscroller and BBB. 
Because the ColorLight requires its input to be Gigabit speed, the newest RasPi 3B+ is a good choice. If you drove it from something else, it would have to send its data to a Gigabit Switch, then to the ColorLight. (some have used a USB Gigabit adapter).

All that being said, I don't think your very large panel would have the problems you are seeing.

One "nice" feature I've take advantage of is that I can leave the RasPi running and just UNPLUG the matrix without concern of corruption. Once configured, the settings are stored in NVRAM so it stays intact. I control the RasPi via wireless because the CAT5 is not available. In fact, the eth0 isn't really configured for Ethernet but some proprietary high speed data stream that only the ColorLight board understands.

Looking at your LED Panels screen, I see that you may be using the Waterproof P10 boards (because of the 1/4 scan instead of 1/8). That is something that is also handled well by the ColorLight configuration (LEDVISION).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 10:20:06 PM by JonB256 »

Offline MATTS

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 11:02:38 PM »
Dan,

I updated the software with no difference. I got the image off your BBB page. I think Im going to try to run half the screens tomorrow and see what happens. The only other idea I have is maybe the ribbon cables arent working. Those are the only diffences from when I ran 4 panels awhile ago without issues.

Offline MATTS

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 07:56:08 PM »
Hi Dan,

Ok so tonight I split my matrix in half. I can 4 screens on each of the first 7 outputs on the BBB. In xlights, I made a new layout with two identical matrices and grouped them as one, so that the group would represent the entire build.

I ran a small test show on it with the BBB controlling the left side panels and everything looked great.

So it looks like the 56 panels is overloading the BBB.

So the questions are:
1) was something other than too many screens causing the issue?
2) is there anything I can do to make my BBB run faster? I am running it as a remote off PI and I have the flash card formatted to the BFTS (?) when I mounted it and the FSEQ file is the n that flash card.
3) do I need to just get another BBB and run it all as two models grouped? Or would colorlight be better? (I am worried the color light wont support my P10s, because if you recall you had to add that ABCD mode for my style panels and you mentioned you didnt think color light would support them either)

4) if I need another BBB does anyone know where I can get an octoscroller that is already built? I currently have the one from Ron, but Id rather get a prebuilt one, preferably somewhere in the US cause of shipping costs.

Thanks,

Matt