Author Topic: Sync all remotes  (Read 725 times)

Offline MATTS

• Kudos: 0
Sync all remotes
« on: July 21, 2018, 10:54:02 AM »
Im trying to figure out how to get this working. I am trying to sync two BBBs running in remote. When I select sync all remotes nothing outputs to the P10 panels, when I select to sync each BBB independently it works but they get out of sync. Any ideas where Im going wrong? Im running the PI and BBB versions on Dans image page now. I am running on an isolated network with all static IPs.

Thanks,

Matt

Offline MATTS

Re: Sync all remotes
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 12:01:56 PM »
Interestingly I figured out part of the problem.

When I removed the password and router name from the WiFi, the sync all worked on the Ethernet.

So my show is setup with a PI master, 2 BBB remotes and a F16 on a network switch. I wanted the pi on WiFi so I could connect to it to control the show, or upload new files etc.

With the pi on WiFi it seems like it uses that network for the sync all remotes function rather than the Ethernet side.

Is there anyway around this other than disabling the WiFi on my PI?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 111
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 01:02:31 PM »
Do you have a Gateway value entered for both eth0 and wlan0 ?

Only use it in one. I usually put it in wlan0

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 34
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2018, 03:23:07 PM »
When I select sync all remotes nothing outputs to the P10 panels, when I select to sync each BBB independently it works but they get out of sync.

With only two remotes, syncing with unicast (checking each one) should not be any problem.  When you say "they get out of sync" can you elaborate?  Even if a remote gets out of sync, it attempts to re-sync with every subsequent sync packet received.  Do they drift further and further apart, or does it catch up within a few seconds?  Sounds like there could be some underlying network problem.  Might be a dual gateway problem like Jon was saying.

To help diagnose, can you share with us the IP settings you are using on ETH and WLAN interfaces?  Inlcude address, mask, and gateway (blank if not set) for all interfaces.  Don't need to show WiFi ssid/password.
xLights and Vixen3 for sequencing / FPP for scheduling and playing / Falcon controllers for pixels / homemade controllers for everything else

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 04:53:25 PM »
Be sure (on the FPP driving the P10) that you don't have the mp4 files. They aren't used or needed and can interfere.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline MATTS

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 08:10:23 PM »
So the plot thickens.

Ok so am have a 56 panel matrix running on a BBB. At first the screens were glitchy and I incorrectly assumed it was the BBB not processing the data well. My sync was fine, but my pixels were acting up. So I decided to run two BBBs to reduce the load on the BBB to half each. This worked, except no matter what the two halfs got out of sync. Unfortunately, when you have half an image displayed, the sync has to be perfect or it is obvious that its not. So, I gave up on the two BBB idea and decided to retry with one. I did a lot of testing and figured out that with my amazing knowledge of ribbon cable limitations( nonexistent knowledge) that I had a few ribbon cables that were to long and they were causing the glitches. So I replanted my cabling and got all the ribbon cables short enough that the glitching was gone.

So here I am thinking, solved! Everything is gonna be perfect now. Well not so much. Where one issue ends, another begins.

So now I cant get the BBB to sync to the PI. It starts off about 3 seconds behind and loses about 15 to 20 seconds per minute. It gets way off and never even thinks of trying to get back.

So does anyone know why this happens? The BBB is just running very slow. My F16 on same network runs off the master PI and it is right on cue. I dont think I had this issue when it was glitchy, so I guess Im looking for setting I missed. My show on the BBB is running on a Samsung evo 32 gig flash card, the network is a gig switch. No audio files are on the BBB. No wireless in the network.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 09:38:04 PM »
What files do you have on that BBB?  Just FSEQ files? or do you have any MP4 files in folders?

I ask because if the MP4 file names match the FSEQ file names, it may be trying to play those, too. (and they aren't needed since the BBB doesn't do video output anyway.)

You may need to post your Log Files. Turn on some logging if you have it all disabled. Frame adjustment info is saved in log files.

I ran 5 different P10 matrices last year and didn't see lag like that (though my largest was 20 panels, not 56).

Offline MATTS

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 09:47:14 PM »
The only files on the BBB are the fseq files. I used sync feature in FPP to move the files from the PI to the BBB

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2018, 05:29:12 AM »
The only files on the BBB are the fseq files. I used sync feature in FPP to move the files from the PI to the BBB

The reason I asked is that the xLights Tools/FPP Connect feature will sometimes move an MP4 file along with an FSEQ.
Time to check the logs, then.

Your first post says you have an isolated network. Is it possible that All Remotes is putting Sync Pulses out on the wrong network?
I isolate using a network switch. This allows all my network devices to keep the same IP Subnet, eliminating that possibility. I don't think the Sync coding has changed significantly since last year.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 05:52:06 AM by JonB256 »

Offline brichi

• Kudos: 1
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2018, 06:14:47 AM »
Not sure if this is your case but I found running my Pi's ( I have 3, 1 as my main for scheduling and playing and 1 for each of my 54 panel matrixes)on wifi causes a lot of lag especially after a reboot of the main pi. Have you tried totally disconnecting wifi on the Pi and running everything hardwired? I have 2 panels running perfectly so its definitely possible.

like others have mentioned, definitely go into your file list and make sure ONLY FSEQ files are there and no video files that may be trying to rub also

Online dkulp

• Kudos: 69
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 06:15:45 AM »

I ask because if the MP4 file names match the FSEQ file names, it may be trying to play those, too. (and they aren't needed since the BBB doesn't do video output anyway.)

Actually, it can with 2.0.   You can set it so that any mp4 files are output on a virtual matrix.  That said, that's off by default and most people likely don't even have a virtual matrix defined.
Dan Kulp

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 06:33:53 AM »
Actually, it can with 2.0.   You can set it so that any mp4 files are output on a virtual matrix.  That said, that's off by default and most people likely don't even have a virtual matrix defined.

Lord, I try to keep up!  I may try that today.

Offline pixelpuppy

• Kudos: 34
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 07:05:58 AM »

Dan, where/how do we set it?  I looked under FPP Settings and see a "Default Video Output Device" but the only option I get is "Disabled" - nothing else to set.  I have a Virtual Matrix already defined in the Input/Output menu.  Is there another setting I'm missing?

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 07:15:42 AM »
Just did this on a Pi3b+ with Colorlight

It isn't a Virtual Matrix, it needs to be a Pixel Overlay Model.  Then it will show up in that dropdown

Worked great. Indistinguishable from the FSEQ playing the same rendered MP4.

Online dkulp

• Kudos: 69
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2018, 07:25:45 AM »
Just did this on a Pi3b+ with Colorlight

It isn't a Virtual Matrix, it needs to be a Pixel Overlay Model.  Then it will show up in that dropdown

Worked great. Indistinguishable from the FSEQ playing the same rendered MP4.

Sorry... yea.   Pixel Overlay Model, not Virtual Matrix.    Thanks!
Dan