Author Topic: USB sound card question  (Read 462 times)

Offline blackramair

• Kudos: 0
USB sound card question
« on: July 29, 2018, 05:16:44 PM »
I can't really seem to find a recent answer on good usb sound cards for the Pi.  So here goes I have the Pi 3 and was looking to run this sound card as it has but in RCA outputs.  Will this work with FPP out of the box or is there a better option I should be looking at.  Last year was my first attempt at music for my display so I just 3.5mm to rca form Pi to my stereo receiver. I was not that impressed and would like to have a better sound option.

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 7
Re: USB sound card question
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 06:07:21 PM »
Many will recommend the sound blaster play 3. It's good and works right out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 111
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 07:36:05 PM »
while the one you linked to looks "ok" I can personally vouch for the Sound Blaster 3. It is instantly recognized by FPP (doesn't even need a reboot) and the sound quality is better than the built in Pi. Noticeably.

Plus, if you are using a Pi Cap, the onboard sound is disabled anyway, so you must use a USB sound.

Get the Sound Blaster 3. I run it directly into my EDM FM Transmitter using a 1/8" stereo to RCA cable.

Offline tbone321

• Kudos: 46
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 08:11:01 PM »
The only problem with the Sound Blaster is the price.  It costs almost as much as the PI itself.  How about this one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N905VOY/ref=psdc_3015427011_t2_B00IRVQ0F8
It looks like it should do the job at a much lower cost.

Offline JonB256

• Supporting Member
  • Kudos: 111
    • Granbury Christmas Lights
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 08:45:12 PM »
No specific info about that one, but Amazon will take it back without hassle if it doesn't work or doesn't sound right.

Offline Ebuechner

• Kudos: 9
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 05:15:13 AM »
If you're looking for a cheapie I've used this one.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010L4IXUS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_2RTzBb519C5C4
But the sound blaster Play 3 is the best one to use.

Offline blackramair

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 05:07:55 PM »
Thanks for the input.  Seems like the sound blaster is the way to go.

Offline jtrpop

• Jason Rasmussen
    • Lights On Symphony St
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 11:52:01 AM »
The only problem with the Sound Blaster is the price.  It costs almost as much as the PI itself.  How about this one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N905VOY/ref=psdc_3015427011_t2_B00IRVQ0F8
It looks like it should do the job at a much lower cost.
Those generic ones are just as bad, and sometimes worse. Get the Sound Blaster, set FPP to 70 volume. $25 is cheap for improved audio output.

Offline Emuney18

• Kudos: 7
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 07:25:44 PM »
The sound blaster is so much better than the headphone out.  I finally switched and the audio is crystal clear after eliminating my ground loop noise.  I did this by tuning a radio to the station and then listen without the music playing.  You will clearly tell what helps and hurts by where your power and audio wires are running.  Obviously you want them far apart as possible but also need to consider what the audio cable is touching. 

I had to turn FPP down to 40 to eliminate the static from it overpowering the radio. I suppose I could also turn the transmitter down as well but that's for another day.

Offline jtrpop

• Jason Rasmussen
    • Lights On Symphony St
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 09:21:36 AM »
The sound blaster is so much better than the headphone out.  I finally switched and the audio is crystal clear after eliminating my ground loop noise.  I did this by tuning a radio to the station and then listen without the music playing.  You will clearly tell what helps and hurts by where your power and audio wires are running.  Obviously you want them far apart as possible but also need to consider what the audio cable is touching. 

I had to turn FPP down to 40 to eliminate the static from it overpowering the radio. I suppose I could also turn the transmitter down as well but that's for another day.

Great to hear, literally! Amazing what a quality sound card will do huh? Again, I don't get a dime or have any stock, I only love quality audio. Newegg has the Sound Blaster Play 3 on sale for $15 right now: https://flash.newegg.com/Product/N82E16829102100